Notices

Lake Winnipesawkee

Old 01-16-2002, 12:12 AM
Winni

SeaDated, Lake Winni is a great place with the mountain views all around you. The lake can be a bit tricky as staed from others, careful the "WITCHES" will take out a lower unit as well as the whole boat!! You certainly need a chart for the lake. Stay away from the "Weirs" during Fathers Day Weekend [Loudon Classic/bike week--estimated 50,000+ bikers!] and the week prior to it--bike week one week long. Going thru the "Channel", you can get up close to some of the bigger runners on the lake-a fun time in Paugus Bay too. Hang out by the Margate Resort to the right side at the sand bar and the kids will like the swimming area there. Burger King on the water front with docking within sight for a quick bite. Many mooring fields on the lake elsewhere too. Brauns Beach area up to the north end near Center Harbor is also a nice place for everyone. It was busted up last year as the big boats were rafting together and the local blues didn't like it. You would see 40-60 boats together there on nice weekends!! Numerous restaurants to dock up at as well as the town docks in Center Harbor,Wolfboro and Alton Bay. Our son works the Meredith town docks in the summer time and says there are 38' top guns launched there but you can also go to Silver Sands Marina in Gilford. This is where they pulled out the offshore racers that were on Winni about three years ago. Not sure if they are going to show again this year-Chamber of Commerce in Laconia can say yay or nay due to sponsorship funds. The kids will have a fun time at the Weirs Beach area as there are many arcades to hang out and play at. The Mount Washington tour boat [165+-'long] docks out front too. Be careful of the blues on the water as they love to nab ya when they can to make their quota for the day/weekend!! Enjoy your trip.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh ya a nice trip up to Castle in the clouds is kind of cool and then you can run up to the top of Mt. Washington.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SeaDated, If your planning on running Seneca Lake in July, the Rochester Offshore Powerboat Ass. is holding their 12 Annual Battleship Run July 20. Its a great run doing one full lap of the lake. Lunch stop at Watkins Glen, followed by the radar run. Last year we had about 90 boats registed. If you know the lake then you already know the scenery is beautiful. Check www.Rochesteroffshore.com for more information. Also if your interested in somebody to run with on that run up to the Islands, many of the club members boat out of Sodus Bay, and all we need is a reason to run up to the river. Thats my FAVORITE kind of boatin. 500HP BURNING GAS & HUALIN ASS!!! CD
Old 01-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

Cool

Hey Winni, it's about time you quit lurking on this board and posted!! This is my younger bro in New Hampshire! And I'm not even going to welcome him to the board because it took him so damned long to get on! Jack, spell check your profile location, Nutsie!! Later Bro, Huey.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:07 AM
Registered

Wow, this site is GREAT!! Thanks a bunch for all the info. It looks like I will be in Palmyra, NY (just outside Rochester) in early/Mid July. I am working on the exact dates of my trip and will post them very soon. I would like to hook up with the Rochester offshore club folks when I do the river run. Also the July 20th Seneca run may work out too. I will check your web site.

Hot Boat and Shane, thanks for the invite. I would love to boat on Lake George. I have been there but never boated it. You're right, it's beautifull. I may try and squeeze it in but time will be tight. How long is the drive from Rochester to Lake George? I will be running short on time on this trip due to the Winnipesawkee run.

Biggus, I was born in northern maine and would love to come up but it's just not going to happen this year. But, thanks for the invite.

As for winnipesawkee, I can't wait. I found out this morning that I will be staying in Gilford. My brother has a couple of condos with docks there somewhere. I was told that I could keep the boat at Ames farm in Alton which is just minutes down the road. Is this a good place? Thanks for the tips about the lake especially about the charts and local law. The channel by weirs beach, and paugus bay sounds like a must do. I will be there over a weekend as well as during part of the week so I'll get a good taste of the lake.

Again, thanks to everyone for the info. Boating up north is so much prettier than in the south in these man made lakes.

One last thing, Where can I get the charts and are they readily available or should I get them ahead of time?
Old 01-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

I would recommend Bizer Charts. Also other usefull info on the website, i.e. water depth info, launch sites, etc.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The ramps at Aims Farms are very Steep so if you have a large boat you may have to take a quick drive down to the end of Alton Bay. If you look at the ramps at the Farms and can not do it then go out to the road and take a left and fallow to the end of the bay. You will know when you are there. You will be fallowing the lake the whole way and all of the sudden the lake ends take a left into the parking lot and there is a ramp there that is a easy launch. You can leave your whole rig there if you want I think it is a couple bucks a day to park.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:21 AM
Registered

Thanks for the chart tip. I went to the Bizer site. That's seems to be a very good chart.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:35 PM
KN
Registered

SeaDated, I don't much about Ames farm, I've driven by it many times look nice and clean from the road they have a nice sandy beach and lots of area. If your worried about the ramps at Ames farm, Silver Sands Marina is just up the road in Gilford they have a great ramp. Check out www.amesfarminn.com I'm going to try to plan a OSO get together for late July.

Kirk
Old 01-16-2002, 01:46 PM
Registered

Seadated,

Rochester to Lake George is abput 4 to 5 max! depends on how you go and how fast you drive. let me know if you need more details and have fun!

Shane

Quick Reply: Lake Winnipesawkee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.