Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does anyone know this 50 Scarab? >

Does anyone know this 50 Scarab?

Notices

Does anyone know this 50 Scarab?

Old 11-03-2002, 04:55 PM
MIdnightRider

Default Does anyone know this 50 Scarab?

I was up to Traverse City this weekend and for the second time passed this 50 Scarab Meteor in Sherman, MI of all places,ie BFE. In the back of this hillbilly engine graveyard re build it shop, in what is a town that has two business' in the sticks, sits a 50 Scarab on stands just wasting away. I had to stop, I took some photos that will follow. It really has a little life in it. The boat is white with black sides and red pin stripes and the name "DUKE" on the side. Its home port was on the back as Lighthouse Point, FLA. What is the story if anybody knows and how did it end up there of all places. I think they may have been using the swim platform for a deer feeder . Just curious. Midnight

Old 11-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this thing appear to have engines in it and complete?
Old 11-03-2002, 08:02 PM
MIdnightRider

The Boat appeared complete, I would assume since the drives looked OK, Intact, even props, that it may have motors. It was cosmeticly in need of attention. WHo knows you would have to look it over close. I have the shops number and am calling tommorow to satisify my cureiosity. Midnight

Old 11-03-2002, 08:07 PM
Registered

There has been a 50' scarab meteor in the boat trader for about 2-3 years.. no body has bought it yet... its in michigan some place..
Old 11-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Registered

Default There was one in Lk St Clair

There was one down here in Lk St Clair about 2 or 3 years ago. It was white with Burgandy & black stripes I believe. Sorry, I can't recall if there was a name on it, but I do know one thing..........................It had diesels. I distinctly recall the "cropduster" (for lack of a better term). It was smoking and you could smell it from a mile away.

Not sure if it is the same one or not...............

RJ
Old 10-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: Does anyone know this 50 Scarab?

It sold on eBay last year, I was outbid at the last minute, pretty pissed, went for $16K . Out of the three engines, it had one complete engine, and half of another, the third was missing. The deck interior was fair, the cabin was nice. Thats alot of boat for $16K
Old 10-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Registered

sounds like a big project but that is a heck of a lot of boat for 16k.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 40 Likes on 8 Posts

Me and my dad stopped and looked at it about 2 or 3 years ago. The guy at the shop told us that 2 bothers owned it. They had started to work on it and then never finished it. It was running when it went there. I think he said it had been sitting there for some time. It was uncover and sitting out side for years. The boat would need to be completely gone though. Also the transom had a lot of rout from what I could remember. The guy said that they would not take anything less than $50,000.00 when we looked at it. We though the $10k to$15k would have been a fair price. Its one big boat though.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

There was one on the cheboygan river between mullet lake and downtown cheboygan 3 years ago,black and white. We saw him underway on mullet,it only went 50 or so at wot,took pics but it was before the digital camera,Smitty