Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   First post, just a couple of ?'s (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113718-first-post-just-couple-s.html)

tlark 10-04-2005 10:41 PM

First post, just a couple of ?'s

Having a condo built on the Lake of the Ozarks so I need a boat. Will be doing the search before I ask most of time as I'm familiar w/similar forums like the Rennlist and Ferrarichat (car sites for you guys not familiar with asphalt :D ). Generally you can find what you need, however I am out of water on this stuff.

Can anyone give me any info w/respect to other websites that give insight on what to look for in a purchase and/or known problems w/certain manufactures engines or other problem areas (like a boaters Bible) or forum dedicated to specific boats like Donzi, Baja (etc) that are not under a corp. banner. I don't want to open a can of worms and its not my intention to do so, just want to learn more before I narrow a search down. It may be the these sites don't exist and the only way to learn is to search this site.

Thanks in advance........

bobonthis 10-04-2005 10:56 PM

Re: First post, just a couple of ?'s

First off welcome, yeah you came to the right place to find all the info you need about all boats. Where are you building a condo at the Lake?

Griff 10-04-2005 11:02 PM

OSO is the "Boater's Bible"

You can use the search function and find all the info you would ever need.

Before you buy, have the boat completely gone over by a qualified marine mechanic and surveyer.

At LOTO, you want the biggest boat you can afford if you're gonna be out on the weekends. Everything is a trade off depending on your budget and how old of a boat you are willing to buy.

tlark 10-04-2005 11:25 PM

Rasta,

Millstone is where I'm buying, they are making way around the cove to the point and the ole lodge and bar is coming down. I have been told next summer is their last season, but thats prob. pending condo sales. The are selling at a pretty good clip but whom knows.

I know enough about the lake staying with my neighbor at the 20mm to know I need something reasonable to handle the water thats as big as Gulf Coast surf on the weekend.

Leaning to a sport boat at this time from $75 to $100k b/c my slip is only a 12'x32'. Got a couple of kids and I enjoy ducking below into the a/c of his Searay so a/c is a must if possible.

v-bottom
head & w/frig

Just want something reliable, as its my first boat. Pretty familar w/Searays and that always a option with a 32 SunDancer but thats close to pushing the $ limit and I'm hoping for a lift too when I make a purchase. Baja's have caught my eye and so have some Formula's, however I still learning.

bobonthis 10-04-2005 11:32 PM

I am at the 19MM new to the Lake not to familiar with the Millstone what MM?Well you mentioned two different kinds of boats a cruiser and a performance boat. A/C will be a tough one not to many 32ft boats in the performance market with A/C that I recall but I will let the other guys handle this part you will have plenty of options I am sure and lots of guys on here making you deals on there boats.

hillbilly24 10-04-2005 11:52 PM

The two perfomance boats you mentioned, Baja and Formula are both great options. Bajas are defenitly not on the same plane as builders like outerlimitis and cig but they are the best value for the dollar you can buy period. You start getting 5% more boat for 100% more money as you work up the chain. There is nothing wrong with a Baja, they are structuraly sound boats and are well built they just don't have the same attention to detail that custom boats do. Formula is a gret company that realy stands behind their product. They have a guy at the factory who's job is to help customers with older Formula's find parts for them and keep them on the water. Usually these boats are 10-20 years old and the current owner bought them second or third hand, Formula never made any money from this customer. That says alot about a company to me, they stand behind and support any product they ever manufactured. I think from the basic description you have given Formula would be a great place to look, not sure if A/C was ever an option on anything much smaler then a 38 but it may well have been. There are a couple members on here that are formula dealers that could provide all the info you need about what models and options are out there. Anything you need to know about alot more then just boats can be found around here. Welcome to OSO.

Payton 10-05-2005 06:52 AM

My 34' Super Hawaii came with air conditioning and a generator. They are not made today however. 1990-1992, I believe were the years.

DanB 10-05-2005 07:22 AM

Check your PM's

Spine Tingler 10-05-2005 08:21 AM

:D

Originally Posted by tlark
Having a condo built on the Lake of the Ozarks so I need a boat. Will be doing the search before I ask most of time as I'm familiar w/similar forums like the Rennlist and Ferrarichat (car sites for you guys not familiar with asphalt :D ). Generally you can find what you need, however I am out of water on this stuff.

Can anyone give me any info w/respect to other websites that give insight on what to look for in a purchase and/or known problems w/certain manufactures engines or other problem areas (like a boaters Bible) or forum dedicated to specific boats like Donzi, Baja (etc) that are not under a corp. banner. I don't want to open a can of worms and its not my intention to do so, just want to learn more before I narrow a search down. It may be the these sites don't exist and the only way to learn is to search this site.

Thanks in advance........

Welcome! Check the Owners Forum for more answers on particular manufacturers. :D