Notices

Miami to Key West Run

Old 01-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Wild Horses

Post Miami to Key West Run

So we have decided on Miami to Key West for our major fun run when in Florida. Remember we are trailering down from Ontario, Canada. We do expect to have a couple of days in West Palm Beach as well. Now for the barrage of questions………

Firstly, I will need a place to launch and a secure compound to store my truck and trailer for a week or so. First stop is to be Miami, so we are thinking about finding a place just north of the city. Any recommendations?

We have absolutely no idea what we are getting ourselves into here. How much of a run is it to Key Largo and how long would it take to make it down to Key West? What are the hot spots in-between? What places MUST we not miss? Partying is the key here, after all it is a much needed vacation. We will want to do some diving too.

What about charts? Can one safely navigate with a compass and chart? Is it well marked?

Come on gang….. help us out.

Old 01-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wild Horses,
I wold suggest Haulover marina in North Miami for your boat storage. I have used them twice without a problem.
On your other questions.
Have you considered doing a trip with the Floirda Powerboat Club? It's nice to just follow the Pace Boat and travel with a group of boats.
I think it's about 160+ miles form Miami to Key West.
Stop by Islamorada (SP) and check out the Tiki Bar
Good luck!!

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]
Old 01-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wild Horses cool name

Call Steve S. with TNT marine, he can help you out, he may even go with you, he was a great tour guide for us, we did that trip last weekend.

Randy Wild
Old 01-15-2002, 04:56 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Harbour Town Marina $6.00 to launch plus $6.00 each additional day you leave your tow vehicle.24hr. secure. Dania Beach,Fl(954)926-0300 [email protected]
Old 01-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Horseplay

The Keys are beautiful boating. I would not reccommend trying to navigate the inside route - which is very pretty - with just a compass and chart. There are a few tricky areas where the water gets real thin. Buy the Florida Keys chart book before you leave, do your homework, plot out the coordinates, and enter them into a GPS. The cuts through some of the banks leave very little margin for error. Remember, you're never more than 6 ft. from land

That said, go for ot and have fun!! When are your dates?

Old 01-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Registered

Hmmmm, Note to Wild Horses , take extra props and drive.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

I'll jump in here again,(put in at my first post)Miami Beach Marina first night ask them about the hot spots.(few bucks to South Beach by Taxie)There is so much to see in Key Largo,(My favorite Key)Pennicamp Park,Coconuts(Holiday Inn)Atlantic side,Gilberts Marine & The Marriott on the Gulf(its all good)."Holiday Isle" Isamorada a must(Atlantic side) .Spent a little time in Marathon(nice place).Newfound Harbor area ok.Key West you want to stay at the Galleon.Have fun I will be there later. Doug
PS Buy a "Yachtmens Guide to the Keys"
before you go thanks
[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Dixie Doug ]

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Dixie Doug ]
Old 01-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Wild Horses

Extra props I have.... drive... lets not go there ok!!

Yes I care about my truck and trailer, new loaded 2001 Chevy D/A Dually, graphics and freshly painted matching trailer..... Any other options for storage would be appreciated.

I will call Steve S. closer to the trip. Still trying to find reasonably priced insurance. Thanks to SG for trying.... but $3000 CDN is too pricy for me for a 3 week trip no matter how good the yearly policy.

Any other suggestions on where to stay and what to see would be great. This is suppose to be the trip of a lifetime for us winter wonderland folks. Sledding today... warm boating in 2 days. How cool is that!! How about Miami... what is the marina I must stay at.

We are leaving Ontario around March 7th and staying in West Palm until the 16th or 17th. Should be starting the big run shortly after that and have to be pulling the pin back home by around the 28th.

Trevor

Originally posted by cdscarab:
<STRONG>Hmmmm, Note to Wild Horses , take extra props and drive. </STRONG>[/QUOTE]