Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Selling boat in Oregon to a Canadian, Customs Questionss (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113873-selling-boat-oregon-canadian-customs-questionss.html)

Dregsz 10-07-2005 12:30 AM

Selling boat in Oregon to a Canadian, Customs Questionss

Hi all
I'm selling my 18' boat registered in Oregon to a guy taking it across the border into Canada. I have title in hand for the boat, but Oregon doesn't require titles or registration for small trailers, (3000# boat trailer combo + fudge factor, no weighing required).

The trailer has a serial number on it and that's it.
Can I sell the trailer on a bill of sale only and will he be able to get that across the border?, (I understand a seperate bill of sale for boat and trailer)

What are the taxes and percentages he will have to pay to cross into Vancouver?

(Edit) I just dug around and found the trailer title from when I bought the boat/trailer in CA I never did anything with it. It is signed off by the previous owner who released interest, but wasn't signed "over" in so much as no name was written onto the title when I bought it. He signed off, but I never put my name on it. Dated July 2005, I suppose that is better then no documentation at all.

Any suggestions for an insurance agent around Vancouver who can bind a policy for the guy so he can drive it home.
The transaction is tomorrow, Sat.

Thanks
Evan

floatingphil 10-07-2005 08:11 AM

Re: Selling boat in Oregon to a Canadian, Customs Questionss

What is the year of mfg for the trailer? Does the title have a VIN?
Here is the link the importer should use to determine the required documentation and applicable fees along with any modifications that may be required by Transport Canada. Without the required paperwork there will be a question about the trailers admissibiltiy.
There should be no duty paid on a U.S. made trailer imported by an individual but the trailer will have to comply with road safety requirements. Read on.....
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Bam Bam 10-07-2005 08:37 AM

Tell your buyer to phone Canada Customs and ask what kind of paperwork will suffice for the trailer. I imported my current boat from the US and basically he needs title proof for both the boat and trailer plus sales receipts to be able to bring it across the border.

He will need two separate receipts, one for the boat and motor and one for the trailer. He will pay GST(7%) and PST(not sure what percentage in British Columbia) on the boat and motor, GST on the trailer at the border. He will then pay the PST on the trailer when he goes to license it. He will have to have a safety check done on the trailer and get a letter from the manufacturer verifying that the trailer has not had any recalls on it. He can get all the info at www.riv.ca.

There is no duty as long as the boat and trailer were manufactured in the US.

z.zuperboat 10-07-2005 08:41 AM

Call Us Customs Direct They Where Very Heplful To Me. Getting It Out Should Be No Sweat. Coming Back In You Yourself Need A Passport Or Birth Cert. Its Worth The Call. If Its A Problem They Can Impound The Vehicle. Try This Number 503-326-7625

EricG 10-07-2005 11:42 AM

You may want to post this Question for Lenny over on donzi.net. I know he had a hell of a time with his trailer (he ended up leaving the trailer at the border). I bought my 18 out of Texas (no title in Texas on trailers) and I didn't have any trouble transferring it to WA, but when I was looking to sell last year there were a few guys in BC that said they wouldn't be able to import the trailer without a letter from the original manufacturer, which in my case is Calkins, and, out of business.

I was really hoping your 18 would stay local...

EG

Dregsz 10-07-2005 01:38 PM

I was told today by Transport Canada that since the trailer is more then 15 years old that it is exempt from needing the recall letter, The California tile does not show year of production or manufacture, it lists it a "spcns"= "Special Construction" but they said they will accept the insurance documentaion that show it as a 1976 Donzi trailer for proof of year and exemption.

I'm all for the boat staying local but If this guys steps up and is ready to buy, he can take it anywhere he wants.

I just want to pick up my new boat.

Evan