Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   dry exhaust system (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114074-dry-exhaust-system.html)

375stinger 10-10-2005 03:15 PM

dry exhaust system

i have a thru transom wet exhaust system, and are wanting to change to a dry exhaust system. do you ahve to buy an entire new exhaust? new pipes? can i modify my existing exhaust ? thanks

magnum27 10-10-2005 03:18 PM

Re: dry exhaust system

Originally Posted by 375stinger
i have a thru transom wet exhaust system, and are wanting to change to a dry exhaust system. do you ahve to buy an entire new exhaust? new pipes? can i modify my existing exhaust ? thanks

At most all you will need to do is get new tailpipes

GLH 10-10-2005 03:20 PM

Looking to make friends? :D:D:D

Psychostroker 10-10-2005 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by magnum27
At most all you will need to do is get new tailpipes

That might depend on what type or brand exhaust system you have.

375stinger 10-10-2005 03:40 PM

yep just tryin to make friends with my slip neighbors when i go out about 8 in the morning
im not sure the type of exhaust..it is one of the few things that hasnt been changed during the restoration, yet...... :D the headers are tubes (center is polished & outside engiens look to ahve been painted at one time) ill post some pics of exhaust later on my other computer. im tryin to see if it is possible to modify existing exhaust cuse im guessing it would cost some money to get 3 sets of pipes including the long center pipes.

articfriends 10-10-2005 03:43 PM

Why,are you having reversion problems or do you just want it to be LOUD? Tell us what kind of exhaust you have to start with. You might be able to modify it,Smitty

Tantrum 10-10-2005 03:46 PM

I would make real sure you want to go dry before you go ahead and do so. If its merely for sound I think your making a big mistake. There are plenty of loud exhausts to choose from that arent over the top obnoxious (which is what you will get with dry)
I love the sound of a loud boat but they become a hassle to own when they are too loud.
Just my opinion :cool:
:chick:

Brad Zastrow 10-10-2005 03:49 PM

I really do not recomend dry exhaust these days. Much too loud. But, if you must....weld up the water holes in the tailpipes (leave a small drain hole in the bottom of the tail pipe) and have a 1" NPT bung welded to the top of the tail pipe. Connect a hose from the pipe to a through transom outlet to dump the water.

Dock Holiday 10-10-2005 03:50 PM

My 500 EFI's came with CMI headers and silent choice exhaust.

When we had the engines out last winter I went with a dry setup.

Took out the silent choice and added straight tailpipes from CMI dumping the water at the end. It cost about $800.00 per engine for the tail pipes. Kept the same stock headers.

It sounds AWESOME, but it is loud. I have had a couple of complaints that we had never had from the stock system.

Good luck

DJR 10-10-2005 04:21 PM

Dock, What you are running is thru hull exhaust. There are 3 basic versions of exhaust with headers.

Tip Style - this is where the where the boat has tips in the transom and the tailpipes stop prior to the tips and connect with a rubber hose. The water is introduced just prior to the tip.

Thru Hull - this is what you are running. It is where the tail pipes come off of the headers and continue thru the transom without the use of tips. The water is introduced at the very end of the tailpipe.

Completely Dry - these are like thru hull tails except that the water is never introduced into the exhaust steam. There is a seperate bung near the end of the tailpipe where the water is drained off and dumped overboard with a thru hull fitting.