Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ext'd Warranty & Ethics Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114183-extd-warranty-ethics-question.html)

BajaFresh 10-11-2005 10:07 PM

Ext'd Warranty & Ethics Question

Well, I bought a new boat Sunday and got a great deal on it. I also purchased an ext'd warranty giving me 6 years from Merc. The F&I guy gave it to me for $1600 ($200 over his cost, so he says). Well today he calls and says he made a mistake. The $1600 was for the 496MAg not the HO. The 496HO warranty is $2800 his cost and if I want it he will give it to me at that price (and show me the paperwork). I will pick up the boat this Saturday and will have to tell him if I want it or not.

My first thought was "I already signed the paperwork and wrote you a check so too bad, you eat it". But I'm really not that kind of guy and they did give me a killer deal on the boat. Now I don't really know if I need the warranty or not. I may want to go Raylar after a couple years and that would void the warranty anyway. I may slap on some CMI's too but not sure about the warranty coverage with those either.

How many of you buy the ext'd warranty and is the pricing quoted good?

Thanks.

BF

BajaRunner 10-11-2005 10:19 PM

Re: Ext'd Warranty & Ethics Question

I wouldnt think there was a $1200 difference between the ho and mag. I think they are trying to make up some money somewhere.

US1 Fountain 10-11-2005 10:27 PM

Myself, I accept the fact that we are only human and do make mistakes at times, thus do not try and profit from an honest mistake.

I never but extended warranties though, so can't help you out there.

fatdaddy 10-11-2005 10:27 PM

Do the right thing, that is a great # for the extnd. I paid $4500 for each of my HO's in '03.

drypipetiger 10-11-2005 10:33 PM

Never been a fan of extended warranties for cars, boats, or anything. Another way to dip in your pocket. I've not had a regret so far. Especially if your future upgrades will void it.

Boats looks great btw. Saw it on another thread. :cool:

drypipetiger 10-11-2005 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Myself, I accept the fact that we are only human and do make mistakes at times, thus do not try and profit from an honest mistake.

If it is honest. I'm in business for myself and if the mistake is mine I pay and don't make it again. A done deal is a done deal.

BajaFresh 10-11-2005 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
Never been a fan of extended warranties for cars, boats, or anything. Another way to dip in your pocket. I've not had a regret so far. Especially if your future upgrades will void it.

Boats looks great btw. Saw it on another thread. :cool:

Thanks, DPT! :drink:

I don't usually get them either, but the first deal they gave me was pretty good. I may pass on this one.

hillbilly24 10-11-2005 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
If it is honest. I'm in business for myself and if the mistake is mine I pay and don't make it again. A done deal is a done deal.

That's the side of the arguement that I have to take, regardless of how the mistake was made it shouldn't have been passed on to th customer at all. That is what a god buisness does, when I quote something and find out that I screwed up I eat it and sometimes it hurts but I can't wait until I have torn a forklift mast apart and then tell the customer that the parts are gonna cost twice what I quoted him even if they do. They have done the same thing to you by sending you on your way with a signed deal and then changing it on you, that diffrence may have changed your decision completley, what if you didn't want the boat without the extended warranty and with the new price it put's it out of your range ? We all have a botom dollar somewhere that we set for things.

As far as the extended warranty being worth it, it depends on your service dealer and how much they are willing to do for you, if they are not premier they would much rather you pay then Merc cuase Merc won't pay their full labor rate but If they are premier all they loose is a little parts markup and it's worth it for the ease of collectign their money. Of course if you are going to mofidy the engine then it is useless anyway. Maybe you chould consider a shorter term exteneded warranty that would be cheaper and not wasted when you modify the engine. Whatever you do if you are going to buy an extended warranty buy the Merc one not some aftermarket crap, none of them cover anything that actually breaks.

aquaforce 10-11-2005 11:30 PM

You should check some threads about valves breaking and not getting covered on extended warranty. I read some here that sounded pretty discouraging toward the ext wnty.
Same thing if you are going to do any work on the eng.

tomtbone1993 10-11-2005 11:39 PM

$2800.00 over 6 years =$39.00 a month isn't bad to me. That would be 30MIN worth of work at my guys shop. It dosen't take much to add up $2800.00 either........my .02cents