Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Building A Race Boats P-class (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114283-building-race-boats-p-class.html)

thedonz 10-13-2005 11:06 AM

Building A Race Boats P-class

For All Of Ya That Don't Know This Past Weekend I Was In Camden Nj At The Race. For Who Ever Wasn't There They Have No Idea What Yall Have Missed. I Have Been To Many Races But For Some Reason This One Was My Favorite. Yeah Don't Get Me Wrong Key West Is More Fun. But Wait Till Next Year These Jersey Boyz Don't Mess Around. My Dream As A Little Kid Was To Race Boats With My Dad. Something Like What Smity And Sticks Has. So This Race Did It For Me I Don;t Know Why But It Did. I Guess Because Of How Well Organized It Was. I Mean Ron P Had Over 3o Safety Boats, That's Unheard Off. So Here The Question. How Much To Build A P5-P4 Boat 28 Foot Single Engine . Like A Pantera , Old 27 Magnum, 28 Apache, 28 Superboat Or Anything Like Those Good Solid Rustin Buckets ?

We Have The Motor ,headers And The Transmission And We Will Do Most Of The Rigging So Don't Count That. So Estimate The Hull , The Drive (bravo 1 Or #3) Steering, Instruments?

Jr

Top Banana 10-13-2005 11:10 AM

Re: Building A Race Boats P-class

Jr.

Good rule for racing is to always double whatever number you have planned .....and then it will only cost you a "little" more than that.

Joe Todesca 10-13-2005 11:20 AM

28' single engine would put you in P5 class, you would not do well in P4 or P3 even if you were allowed to run . The boats are all twin engine and over 30' be hard to keep up with the flying condo in big seas. P5 is a very tough class and the teams we raced against this year were extremely competitive. Jo P5-1 Herbott/Racing

BJM 10-13-2005 11:34 AM

I disagree with Joe
A single engine boat is perfect for P-4. 27 Activator, 29 Kryptonite, 29 Warlock. You will be @ a disadvantage in BIG water but half the races are calm and you will beat the flying condo and other twin engine boats in accleration. I am BIAS, but I think the 27' Activator is the best all around boat for P-4

mr_velocity 10-13-2005 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BJM
I disagree with Joe
A single engine boat is perfect for P-4. 27 Activator, 29 Kryptonite, 29 Warlock. You will be @ a disadvantage in BIG water but half the races are calm and you will beat the flying condo and other twin engine boats in accleration. I am BIAS, but I think the 27' Activator is the best all around boat for P-4

If cost is an issue a P5 will be much cheaper to build and maintain.

thedonz 10-13-2005 11:41 AM

I Never Said Anything About P3. We Race Our Cigarette In P3/p2 I Said P5-p4 And I Want Cost How Much To Built It Not If It's Competive Or Not I Know Very Well That The Boats I Mentioned Are Very Competive For The P5-p4

Jr

Ron P 10-13-2005 11:57 AM

Hey Donz, glad we did it for ya this past weekend. See, offshore racing can be both fun and competitive when done right.

Talk to Brucey, I think his 28 Pantera is for sale. It's competitive in P5 when it doesn't break. :D

thedonz 10-13-2005 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
If cost is an issue a P5 will be much cheaper to build and maintain.

COST IS NOT THE ISSUE AT ALL , THE ISSUE IS THAT I THINK RACING THE CIGARETTE WAS A HEADECK, ALWAYS SOMETHING BUT THEN AGAIN WHAT CAN YA EXPECT WITH TWIN 1050 ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR POUNDING THEM FOR 1 HR STR8, I WANT SOMETHING THAT IS NOT HIGH MAINTENANCE NOT IN COST BUT IN HEADECK TO BE ABLE TO RELAX AT THE RACES AND ENJOY THEM. UNFORTUNATELY WE DON;T HAVE A CREW JUST FOR US AT THE RACES, TO BE ABLE TO RELAX AND HANG OUT

JR

BODYSHOT1 10-13-2005 12:04 PM

..best bet would be a used F1 with an HP500...hulls are built for racing & the HP's seem to run 4-ever...

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by thedonz
COST IS NOT THE ISSUE AT ALL , THE ISSUE IS THAT I THINK RACING THE CIGARETTE WAS A HEADECK, ALWAYS SOMETHING BUT THEN AGAIN WHAT CAN YA EXPECT WITH TWIN 1050 ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR POUNDING THEM FOR 1 HR STR8, I WANT SOMETHING THAT IS NOT HIGH MAINTENANCE NOT IN COST BUT IN HEADECK TO BE ABLE TO RELAX AT THE RACES AND ENJOY THEM. UNFORTUNATELY WE DON;T HAVE A CREW JUST FOR US AT THE RACES, TO BE ABLE TO RELAX AND HANG OUT

JR

thedonz 10-13-2005 12:13 PM

I WANT COST OF BUILDING YOURSELF We Have The Motor ,headers And The Transmission And We Will Do Most Of The Rigging So Don't Count That. So Estimate The Hull , The Drive (bravo 1 Or #3) Steering, Instruments? A BALLPARK FIGURE. I FIGURE LIKE $22,000 FOR HULL,DRIVE, STEERING AND INSTRUMENTS

Jr