Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT Who buys their own health insurance. Looking for advice >

OT Who buys their own health insurance. Looking for advice

Notices

OT Who buys their own health insurance. Looking for advice

Old 01-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Intolerant1

Post OT Who buys their own health insurance. Looking for advice

Some of you know that I was injured at work almost a year ago. I have now been diagnosed with a serious neurological injury called Arachnoiditis. I will not be returning to work and eventually will have to purchase health insurance for myself and my wife who is self employed. I know some of you are self employed so I thought this may be a good place to ask advice and see what others are paying. We have no kids. Thanx in advance

Old 01-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any additional employees that you would cover under the plan? Most insurance companies have a minimum of people they will want covered. We use BCBS which is slightly more expensive but you know what your getting. I personally did not want to have to do a lot of administrative work. They do not ask as many questions as others regarding pre-existing conditions. Prices depend upon your location,type of plan, and number of employees. We have a very comprehensive plan ie Health, Perscription, and Dental.........but also pay aprox $1075/mo per family

Good luck to you
Old 01-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

Don't know about pre-exsisting conditions, but health insurance on your own is a bite. I went with a $2500 deductable on my policy to keep the premiums closer to reasonable. There are a lot of insurance sales men and women who don't last long in the business, and numerous companies. Find a quality agent, and he may have you changing providers yearly as a new company runs a "sale" on insurance. Not saying it's the best way to do it, but it seams like reality today. Damn lawyers and their malpractice suits. I've got a crackerjack agent, but don't know if he is licensed in IL. So if you have questions, and want an impartial second openion, I'll forward it to him.

Weren't you two thinking of moving elsewhere? How's that coming along?
Old 01-15-2002, 07:56 PM
Intolerant1

That'll be down the road a bit. Asking these questions is a diversion for me from thinking about the negative side of this mess. Thanx for the response though

Old 01-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to shop this around a lot!!! Go to your local commerce commision and ask them about things that they offer. In Mass they are not allowed to discriminate against pre existing conditions thank god as I have a couple. I am paying 165 a month for just me. That is with 15 dollar co pay and everything is covered but my out of hospital prescriptions. That is ok as when I at the doctors office I just tell them I do not have a policy for meds and they 9 times out of 10 will give them to me. Or they are ussually not much anyhow so I just pay for them.

Jon
Old 01-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Registered

Audio: What's a commerce commision? Would it also be known under a different name in other parts of the country?
Old 01-15-2002, 11:05 PM
Intolerant1

I think he meant local Chamber of Commerce. My father-in-law did this and obtained insurance at a great rate. Of course you need to own a business which works for us.