Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tri Max vs, BPM vs. Merc 6- Differences and prices? >

Tri Max vs, BPM vs. Merc 6- Differences and prices?

Notices

Tri Max vs, BPM vs. Merc 6- Differences and prices?

Old 10-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri Max vs, BPM vs. Merc 6- Differences and prices?

Wanting to know the major differences, capacity, pricing differences in these 3 drives. looks like most of new boats are running tri Maxs do to increasede speed?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Tri Max vs, BPM vs. Merc 6- Differences and prices?

Damn you are all over the board requesting pricing from everyone on everything.
My question is are you building boats, selling boats, buying boats, building offshore super centers, or just putting together the ultimate price guide?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Banned

If its any of your business, all of the above, currently have a need for drives for a project boat. Is it ok for a person to be knowledgable about the business he is in. If asking a question on drives and turbines represents putting together the ultimate price guide than yes I am.I believe you are the one who contacted me with your product, then asked me for pricing on my boats, is'nt that correct. look in the mirror.

Last edited by wiggler4490; 10-17-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

It's difficult to estimate the prices because it will depend on the boat and power which model you will need.

However, in general terms it seems that the simplest drive is also the least expensive. Trimax is the clear winner here. It's only a SS shaft running straight from the hull with a SS supporting strut which also incorporates an aeration duct. The advantages are simplicity and reliability. It's virtually unbreakable and requires very little maintenanace and lubrication.

It is also provides a performance edge as it has the smallest inclination angle of all drives: 2° minimum although you would be best advised to run a bit more angle especially on a stepped hull. It is also ventilated with built in ducts. Thus, no home-made welding jobs of tubes like on Arnesons or drilling of cavitation plates like on #6s.

However, it is generally not trimmable. Inclination can be adjusted when the boat is out of water as the supporting strut can be adjusted by a few degrees, usually up to 8° max inclination. However, this can be done only out of water as bolts need to be loosened and the shaft moved manually (and very carefully). Buzzi does make versions which are adjustable on the go but this makes the whole thing more complex and much more expensive which kinda takes the beauty out of the entire concept.

Thus, Trimax is relatively cheap as a component and works great if the boat is designed around it. If it's not, it gets a lot less attractive a whole lot more expensive because you have to completely reconfigure the transom. The fact that it is not trimmable also requires perfect balance and a careful study of the weight distribution, step placement, etc. But when you get it right, it's bulletproof, fast and cheap. A model that will take most gas engines to 1000hp. is only something like US$ 8000 with steering.

As for the BPM: reliable and trimmable but a lot more expensive and still requires a specific transom configuration.

#6: it's all been said before, reliable but power-hungry and heavy. Not actually a full surface drive so not ultimate efficiency and most of all, it's ridiculously expensive for what it is...