Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BOATEL STORAGE/FORKLIFT? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/11445-boatel-storage-forklift.html)

formula1 01-15-2002 06:43 PM

BOATEL STORAGE/FORKLIFT?

How many of ya'll keep your boat in a boatel/rack storage where they have to use a
forklift to take your boat in and out?

The last time my boat was taken OUT, they had a real hard time trying to get the forks
under the strakes without hitting the drives?
:eek: :eek: SO, what they ended up doing, is taking it out with the forks on the outside edge! :eek: :eek:

Have ya'll ever heard of this on a twin engine application?? Do you think there could be any damage doing it that way??

Thanks
Steve

p.s. It's stored on the rack correctly however!!

powerqrudy 01-15-2002 06:48 PM

They do it all the time at my marina ...it is only onthe forks fora what 3 minutes going in and about four comming out??

Jana 01-16-2002 08:18 AM

The guys at my marina don't have any problem with the twin-engine boats. I've seen them lift my friend's Cigarette, and it looked normal. On my single, the forks come in between the two strakes (avoid drive and tabs).

Cigarette500EFI 01-16-2002 08:44 AM

I have a Top Gun and they have been taking it in and out for years using the forks. No major problems, just skuff marks etc... it sounds to me like the problem is your fork lift operator !

formula1 01-16-2002 06:31 PM

It's not the operator, I've watched them and
there really isn't any way to pick it up when it's in the water. You can't see!

Basically, they end up picking it up where the outside bunks of the trailer are.

While it's on the lift you can pick it up on the strakes but it's a close call.

I was under the impression that the boats should be hauled by the strakes not anywhere
else!

Madcow 01-16-2002 06:48 PM

I don't think it matters where they pick it up at, as long as the whole bottom is supported. besides , its not on the truck long enough to do ant damage. I rack a triple engine 42 Sonic tha weighs 12,000 lb. No probelem.

Gizmo 01-16-2002 07:00 PM

I went to Md. to look at a 303 formula last summer. It was put in and taken out by a fork truck. I was shocked, to say the least, by the operators actions. I didn't see the boat go into the water. If going in was as spectatular as coning out, I'm glad I didn't see it. The owner and I backed the boat on to the forks. As the boat was lifted form the water, it was cocked a bit on strakes. Instead of puting it back in the water, the operator bounced the forks until the boat was straight. In the meantime the port drive hit the fork and broke part of the trim plate off. Then to top it off, he set the boat on uncovered concrete blocks. It didn't seem to bother the owner. Turns out I didn't buy the boat. I wonder why!!!! :confused:
Gizmo

formula1 01-16-2002 09:12 PM

Thats unbelievable :eek: :eek: !!!

Mine's the only twin engine sport boat, they seem too intimidated to be bouncing boats on the lift!!

cgarrett 01-17-2002 02:30 AM

formula1,
I don't have the lift pics posted on the net so I sent you some of the fork lifting my tripple outboard Cigarette to your e mail. You should be able to see from the photos where they are putting the forks.
Cordell

CelticPride 01-17-2002 09:23 AM

Some lift drivers are idiots...no question. The only complaint I have about dry storage is that the gelcoat on the bottom dos take a beating over time.

I do get nervous sometimes watching them take out my boat. forks go into the water...boat is pulled back over the forks and then the operators starts lifting. almost everytime...he squeezes the forks together as he is lifting it to get the boat centered. The forks are covered with a thick rubber pad....and since everything is wet, there probably is not alot of friction but I hate the sound....like the sound of sneakers on a newly waxed floor.