Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury/Brunswick Building Boats & Motors in China? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114482-mercury-brunswick-building-boats-motors-china.html)

Psychostroker 10-16-2005 04:58 PM

Mercury/Brunswick Building Boats & Motors in China?

1 Attachment(s)
One of the things I regularly do is research and invest in the stock market. I own some stock in Brunswick and have been considering buying additonal shares. During my research I ran across the attached PDF file that talks about Mercury building motors in China and also that they have purchased a facility to build small fiberglass and aluminum boats there.

Being a marketing professional I know manufacturing in China/Asia/India is inevitable for a lot of industries to keep the costs down and the sell price attractive to the US market but I have really mixed feelings about Mercury doing it.

Take a look at the attachment which is their conference call from back in July and let's hear your thoughts on this subject!

CBR 10-16-2005 05:40 PM

Re: Mercury/Brunswick Building Boats & Motors in China?

Read the attachment and it was interesting. You have to give Brunswick credit, they succeed in making money off boats while just about everyone else loses their shirts.

But, as the article stated, BC cannot fortell what Alan Greenspan higher rates and higher oil prices will do to boat sales and company profitability.

I think I can, but I can't get any shorter in the market right now. <gg>

That stock ran from around $41 to almost $48 in July, now it is at $36.16. Think I'll pass, but it would be a great stock to buy when the economy starts to perk up again. However long that takes.

J-Bonz 10-16-2005 05:40 PM

YEAH, Old Keikifer would be rollin in his grave if he heard that

Downtown42 10-16-2005 06:09 PM

Open the hatches and see "Made in China" on the motors :eek:

Downtown42 10-16-2005 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Psychostroker
One of the things I regularly do is research and invest in the stock market. I own some stock in Brunswick and have been considering buying additonal shares.

Thanks for the tip...sounds like a good deal to me.

CMG 10-16-2005 06:40 PM

is it possible their going to build for that market and not export? Theres a lot of talk of China buying luxury items

JnT 10-16-2005 06:44 PM

I hate to see more going to China. Tohatsu/Nissan makes a damn good outboard though.

Panther 10-16-2005 07:09 PM

I'll go out on a limb but I would they that they would manufacture outboards over there.

Unless the parts for the inboard motors are manufactured in China why would they want to ship the parts and engine blocks overseas, have them assembled, then sent back again. Does GM have their parts manufactured in China?

Panther 10-16-2005 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by JnT
I hate to see more going to China. Tohatsu/Nissan makes a damn good outboard though.

Maybe they'll be able to compete with Yamaha then.... :rolleyes:

CAP071 10-16-2005 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by CMG
is it possible their going to build for that market and not export? Theres a lot of talk of China buying luxury items

That's because that is where all our money is going from buying their products :rolleyes: