Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Riddle me this Skater. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114553-riddle-me-skater.html)

Anarchy Powerboats 10-17-2005 12:31 PM

Riddle me this Skater.

Why are they going to make 30' Skaters when they have over a year waiting lists for new boats as it is? Did they open a whole new facility just for these? They will sell a (boat ) load of em for sure but weren't all of us talking about how streched they must be just with the 36, 38 and 40's? I just don't understand this move from a business standpoint unless they have opened a whole new facility with new staff to handle the increased business, something to ponder.
Your pal and Skater fan,
Kenny

Sean H 10-17-2005 12:35 PM

Re: Riddle me this Skater.

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
Why are they going to make 30' Skaters when they have over a year waiting lists for new boats as it is? Did they open a whole new facility just for these? They will sell a (boat ) load of em for sure but weren't all of us talking about how streched they must be just with the 36, 38 and 40's? I just don't understand this move from a business standpoint unless they have opened a whole new facility with new staff to handle the increased business, something to ponder.
Your pal and Skater fan,
Kenny

maybe so they would have something new to race in the OB class? i would guess basically replacing the 28 in their product line? if you don't come out with new stuff, you will eventually be the old stuff in the market.... :cool:

Spectre30 10-17-2005 12:49 PM

Because people will want them, pay for them and wait for them, just like the 36, 38, 40, etc. Why not have a size to fit everyones wants and needs, charge them a lot of money and take your time building it. Either way they're selling boats at their price and people are willing to wait, so why not.

Anarchy Powerboats 10-17-2005 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
maybe so they would have something new to race in the OB class? i would guess basically replacing the 28 in their product line? if you don't come out with new stuff, you will eventually be the old stuff in the market.... :cool:

True Sean, hence the 36'8" and the other new larger models. I am going to take a stab and guess the 30's will be priced around 190-220 K ( just a guess) and that will line em up for sure, my core question is don't you think that with this increased business that the boys will be so streched out building these smaller boats that eventually there could be some quality issues in the larger and smaller models caused by the workforce and staff they have not being able to keep up with demand? Sure does seem to be a long wait already for the larger models, with the smaller boats added into the pot isn't that going to cause increased producion delays?

PatriYacht 10-17-2005 12:54 PM

One reason they have such a long wating list is because they let the boats sit in the mold for a long time as they build it. Having more molds ( new 30") would mean more boats in the same amount of time maybe.

Spectre30 10-17-2005 12:57 PM

True Sean, hence the 36'8" and the other new larger models. I am going to take a stab and guess the 30's will be priced around 190-220 K ( just a guess) and that will line em up for sure, my core question is don't you think that with this increased business that the boys will be so streched out building these smaller boats that eventually there could be some quality issues in the larger and smaller models caused by the workforce and staff they have not being able to keep up with demand? Sure does seem to be a long wait already for the larger models, with the smaller boats added into the pot isn't that going to cause increased producion delays?

I doubt that the work force at Skater will be stretched out by any means, just the waiting list to get one. It's simple, whether you order a 24' or a 46', it will take a long time, as the boat will just be put in line with the rest of the orders. Basically if you want one, you're gonna have to wait with the rest, now just a bit longer.

Sean H 10-17-2005 12:58 PM

since all skaters are pretty much "one offs" i don't really see a difference in building a 30 or a 46 except they can build a 30 faster probably... i don't think peter is ever gonna rush his boats out the door if that is what you're saying... and that is the beauty of being a custom builder, you just build what your customers want... :D

Spectre30 10-17-2005 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
since all skaters are pretty much "one offs" i don't really see a difference in building a 30 or a 46 except they can build a 30 faster probably... i don't think peter is ever gonna rush his boats out the door if that is what you're saying... and that is the beauty of being a custom builder, you just build what your customers want... :D

Exactly, it just gives the public more options. Want a 30', get in line, want a 40', get in line.

Sean H 10-17-2005 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
One reason they have such a long wating list is because they let the boats sit in the mold for a long time as they build it. Having more molds ( new 30") would mean more boats in the same amount of time maybe.

this is very true and the biggest difference between buying a production boat and a custom boat... quality.

Anarchy Powerboats 10-17-2005 01:18 PM

Of course I wish them the best of luck with this but these are the things that go through my mind when I see things like the new 30 come across the wire. Skater owners must be the most patient people in the world though because I almost lost my mind when I had to wait 6 months for my new 34 .