Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Change oil before or after winter? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114877-change-oil-before-after-winter.html)

mpally 10-21-2005 05:25 PM

Change oil before or after winter?

Do you guys change your oil and drive oil before or after the winter break?

H20 Toie 10-21-2005 05:28 PM

Re: Change oil before or after winter?

Yes :D

mopower 10-21-2005 05:31 PM

Run it on the hose to get stuff warm then change oil , filter and drive oil. Restart after changes the run antifreeze thru it and near the end of the antifreeze (if it's carbed) fog it.
You want to get the contaninents out before storage.

Vinny P 10-21-2005 06:18 PM

Both before and after..

US1 Fountain 10-21-2005 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
Both before and after..

So you dump out new oil in the spring?

CAP071 10-21-2005 06:51 PM

I change it all b4 then run it once real looooooooooong first day out then change it all again

epeek 10-21-2005 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
So you dump out new oil in the spring?

Yea,I dont get it.

BZ 10-21-2005 07:44 PM

Both

Mentalpause 10-21-2005 07:46 PM

Run it during the winter and you don't need to worry about it. :evilb: :evilb:

wantsa311 10-21-2005 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mopower
Run it on the hose to get stuff warm then change oil , filter and drive oil. Restart after changes the run antifreeze thru it and near the end of the antifreeze (if it's carbed) fog it.
You want to get the contaninents out before storage.

Exactly how I've done it for years. :D:D:D

gdfatha 10-21-2005 08:45 PM

Whats winter?? :eek: :drink:

Hydrocruiser 10-21-2005 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
I change it all b4 then run it once real looooooooooong first day out then change it all again

I like this response best of all. :D

Oil picks up moisture during winter storage in unheated facilities.

Capo is right!!

Now you can use just about any oil that's cheap because it's one run and out again...you dont need to replace oil filters I would think.

Capo as usual gets a Sargent Sacto Salute! :drink:

Wobble 10-21-2005 09:27 PM

B 4

Stormrider 10-21-2005 09:31 PM

So if I have 3hrs since my last oil change, I should still dump it before winter?

Panther 10-21-2005 09:33 PM

before, same here. All condensation burns off the first run out.

Vinny P 10-22-2005 06:43 AM

Maybe I am a bit over cautious. I change it when I am done for the year. In the spring I run it a few minutes on the hose, then change it again. After all the money we spend on our motors, what's a $30 for a precautionary oil change?

US1 Fountain 10-22-2005 08:37 AM

Why are we not this cautious about our vehicles?

Downtown42 10-22-2005 08:41 AM

There is no choice, always change before storage. If you have 3 hrs on last change, I would still put fresh in for winter.

CAP071 10-22-2005 08:56 AM

I changed my truck oil before and after every long tow.

Hydrocruiser 10-22-2005 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by CAP071
I changed my truck oil before and after every long tow.

Again a smart move!!

outriggers 10-22-2005 12:23 PM

Both, I run it on a the hose,change the oil and drive oil then winterize. I put plain mineral in the fall. In the spring I warm it up on the hose and change it again except then I use Mobil 1 20-50 V-twin. Doug

wwwTOPDJcom 10-31-2005 02:16 PM

I heat the garage to keep the temp stable so far this has prevented all the condesation, I still winterize fresh oil/filter and flush with real antifreeze

Panther 10-31-2005 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wwwTOPDJcom
I heat the garage to keep the temp stable so far this has prevented all the condesation, I still winterize fresh oil/filter and flush with real antifreeze

What do you do with the "real" anti-freeze when you start the motor in the spring? I hope Rover isn't near buy. :eek:

There was a guy at my marina who would do this every winter, insisted on using automotive antifreeze. He would start the boat in the yard every year and just pump the green antifreeze all over the parking lot. He didn't seem to care where it went. :mad:

MitchStellin 10-31-2005 05:54 PM

Old burnt, used oil is corrosive, it will pit and stick to stuff and dry hard as it sits on stuff. You can change in the spring but as long as you get it above 230 you will burn all the water out, water in the fuel is a much bigger problem than in the oil. I like to be turn key in the spring. On the old anti freeze, it goes when you launch in the spring, you could try and capture it but good luck. With 4 exhaust and two hands there is no way. :eek: :D

minxguy 11-01-2005 08:03 AM

Change the oil in the fall before you store the boat. After you change the oil, run the engine to circulate the new oil into all the pieces of the engine, the last 2 minutes shut the fuel supply and fog the engine. There is no need to change the new oil in the spring. The amount of condensate is negligible, after all cold air has very low humidity(how many of you northerners have humidifiers for your homes in the winter?) In the spring start the engine and use the boat as normal. After the first run all(if any) condensation will be removed from the oil. Ken

jb 11-01-2005 08:30 AM

yes

cigrocket 11-01-2005 08:46 AM

I change oil for the winter. I run the boat for 15 minutes. Then in the spring, I change it again. However this is the first time with these huge oil pans that I have. 12 qts each plus the filters, and I am running synthetic. Going to be costly so I put in conventional for the winter and will put in synthetic in the spring. Got to take care of the Mistress if you want to ride

fund razor 11-01-2005 09:13 AM

I change it before and after just like CAPO.
I run it once in the spring and change it again.
Thanks to Hydrocruiser I use Mobil One filters.

For the doggies....
I use Sierra anti freeze.
I try to capture the antifreeze anyway.

X-Rated30 11-01-2005 11:35 AM

I never change the oil in my boat. And I may never again. :evilb:

fund razor 11-01-2005 11:58 AM

You might change a cowling though!! :D