Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Strange Setup Nordic Flame (IMCO boat) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/114888-strange-setup-nordic-flame-imco-boat.html)

DelawareRiverRunner 10-21-2005 08:23 PM

Strange Setup Nordic Flame (IMCO boat)

In the classifieds here on OSO, I stumbled across an ad for a 2004/2005 35' Nordic Flame...the red, white and blue IMCO boat. The strange thing is that it has 2 drives but only one engine (with twin superchargers). What are the pros and cons of this configuration? Likes/dislikes? I don't think I have ever seen anything like it before. Anyone have any articles on it to scan/post? (Ad says it was featured in 4 Powerboat magazines)

Different and unique to say the least...I am not sure if I like it though!

Semper Fi 10-21-2005 09:05 PM

Re: Strange Setup Nordic Flame (IMCO boat)

I saw this boat on lake Elsinore, Ca. about 5 months ago when they were testing it. I spoke to Fred Inman Imco Owner) and he said it's a little less expensive than having 2 motors.
This setup is mostly used on small 21' ski boats with big power (1000+HP) to make it keep the boat level because the torque kept it hard to keep the boat level. The power distributed through 2 drives makes the boat run better.

Magic Medicine 10-21-2005 09:08 PM

I have read about that boat in various powerboats mags. The concept is neat and but only time will tell on how it will turn out. In one of the mags I think they claimed the top speed around 110-115 mph, seems a little optimistic to me.

DelawareRiverRunner 10-21-2005 09:13 PM

THANKS for the replies guys...I just wanted to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. I knew I saw one engine with 2 drives. I'm not crazy after all!!

Smitty 10-21-2005 09:24 PM

The engine is hooked to a gear splitter that sends the power to the two drives.

Tantrum 10-21-2005 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRiverRunner
I'm not crazy after all!!

Who said that, I saw a few replies about the Nordic but i didnt read anyone vouching for your sanity.
:chick: :chick:

Titan 10-21-2005 10:25 PM

Plus the fact that the total torque of the engine is split between the two drives making the higher horsepower engines workable with standard drives.

I would love to see the way that setup would benefit a single big blower motor boat in the 27 to 30 range. I wonder how much speed would be gained and how long the drives stay together on both lets say a single 800hp and a split 1000hp in the same boat?????

Magic Medicine 10-22-2005 08:53 AM

Everybody bring up excellant points. The one thing that keeps coming into my head, (I am a single engine boat owner 28 nordic) is the engine goes down your down. There is no back up to get you back to the dock. This worries me frequently on my boat.

Titan 10-22-2005 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
Everybody bring up excellant points. The one thing that keeps coming into my head, (I am a single engine boat owner 28 nordic) is the engine goes down your down. There is no back up to get you back to the dock. This worries me frequently on my boat.

All you need is a Sea Tow Membership to solve this problem!

LIOPA 10-22-2005 09:41 AM

The boat was co-built by NORDIC and IMCO to run the high speed endurance race between the Golden Gate Bridge and Long Beech CA. The idea was to have the speed over 110 and not stop for fuel like the other participants. They got 111 on the second test and were hoping to break 115 with custom Herring props. The lighter weight ( lack of the second motor) as well as all the available space not used (cabin and under cockpit floor space) and side areas were all fuel cells to carry the extra fuel for the run. A very interesting concept. NORDIC had said that the drive units were very very beefy and looked like they would hold up very well over time. I guess we will have to see. I cannot remember exactly but I think NOR-TECH did a set up with IMCO splitter as well.