Notices

Boat hauling

Old 10-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Boat hauling

I have been thinking of getting into the trucking biz. Was gonna go and buy a tractor and put it to work with a friends outfit hauling containers.

Just curious if there was a demand for people needed to haul boats. Say like sunsation powerboats, Checkmate, formula, etc. Say sunsation has a new dominator leaving the factory and it has to go to a dealer at LOTO. Or, a board member needs his boat hauled down to FL to get rigged, or just a guy buying a boat who needs it towed? I think there's a guy on the board who does this, just wondering if there's any money in it. I'd much rather drive a 2006 F350 diesel dually around than a kenworth. Plus Id get to haul cool boats rather than a container full of diapers.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boat hauling

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Plus Id get to haul cool boats rather than a container full of diapers.
you mean full of mexicans ? coming to america
Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone have any clout with Formula? Id like to haul just their fastechs around. The factory isnt to far from me.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

The trucking industry is a tough gig right now, but I would rather tow with a semi than an f350. Longer life out of the truck a used clean unit wont cost more than a new dually better stopping power than a dually, not restricted to the size of boat you can haul with it "cruisers" granted the insurance will be a little more but the long run you would make more with it and if boat hauling isnt what it pans out to be then you can goto another carrier. In FL for wellcraft I believe they use a company called Genmar? do alot of hauling. If oyu get the first gig do it right and word of mouth will be your best friend in the industry.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hard On
In FL for wellcraft I believe they use a company called Genmar? do alot of hauling. If oyu get the first gig do it right and word of mouth will be your best friend in the industry.
genmar owns wellcraft don't they?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The boat hualing buisness is tough, most of them operate as part of a marina or boat dealer so they really don't have much overhead involved with the hualing buisness since they have the trucks and trailers anyway. Ther are some guy like the one you referred to on here, Jeff Murray, that do it and I couldn't say for sure but I'd guess he makes a decent living at it. He has to hustle all the time though always looking for a load in some city so he doesn't have to deadhead, deadhead miles will kill you if you let them add up. The best bang for your buck in the trucking buisness is heavy haul work, over sized and over weight loads like heavy equipment. There aren't neer as many people in it and they charge what they want. You have to step to atleast a 7 axle but an 8 or 9 axle will make you alot more money, there are probalby only a few dozen 8 axles in each state if that. There is alor more involved in this kinda work like dealing with permits and the paperwork involved, this is why most people stay out of it. You have to keep track of your mileage in each state and pay the permit fee per state based on that and your weight. Just to give you an example of the money in it though, the average 90k pound lift costs me about 16k to hual from California to Florida, there are about 2k in permits involved that the trucking company has to pay as well as about 2k in fuel at current prices. It's a five day run becuase you can only run daylight hours with that load and you have a half day on each end for load and unload. That leaves you with 12k for a weeks work, of course you still have to pay for the truck, trailer, and maintenance. Don't under estimate the cost of maintenace on one fo these beasts, including down time it adds up quick, your probably looking at around 2-4k a month on average and it will be much higher when it comes time to buy tires. You can find plenty of low mileage 8 axle set ups for aound 120k, truck and trailer. I actually have a good friend that just got a new truck and has his old setup for sale. It's an 02' Pete 379 with the condo sleeper and a 600 CAT, the trailer is a Lidell 55k, Lidell's are the Cadilacs of low boy trailers. With that setup you can get a blanket permit in your state of registration for 136k pounds which will cover loads to about 95k pounds.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
genmar owns wellcraft don't they?
Yes they do and they have there own trucks, which expliand why the truck says Genamr on the side.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
The boat hualing buisness is tough, most of them operate as part of a marina or boat dealer so they really don't have much overhead involved with the hualing buisness since they have the trucks and trailers anyway. Ther are some guy like the one you referred to on here, Jeff Murray, that do it and I couldn't say for sure but I'd guess he makes a decent living at it. He has to hustle all the time though always looking for a load in some city so he doesn't have to deadhead, deadhead miles will kill you if you let them add up. The best bang for your buck in the trucking buisness is heavy haul work, over sized and over weight loads like heavy equipment. There aren't neer as many people in it and they charge what they want. You have to step to atleast a 7 axle but an 8 or 9 axle will make you alot more money, there are probalby only a few dozen 8 axles in each state if that. There is alor more involved in this kinda work like dealing with permits and the paperwork involved, this is why most people stay out of it. You have to keep track of your mileage in each state and pay the permit fee per state based on that and your weight. Just to give you an example of the money in it though, the average 90k pound lift costs me about 16k to hual from California to Florida, there are about 2k in permits involved that the trucking company has to pay as well as about 2k in fuel at current prices. It's a five day run becuase you can only run daylight hours with that load and you have a half day on each end for load and unload. That leaves you with 12k for a weeks work, of course you still have to pay for the truck, trailer, and maintenance. Don't under estimate the cost of maintenace on one fo these beasts, including down time it adds up quick, your probably looking at around 2-4k a month on average and it will be much higher when it comes time to buy tires. You can find plenty of low mileage 8 axle set ups for aound 120k, truck and trailer. I actually have a good friend that just got a new truck and has his old setup for sale. It's an 02' Pete 379 with the condo sleeper and a 600 CAT, the trailer is a Lidell 55k, Lidell's are the Cadilacs of low boy trailers. With that setup you can get a blanket permit in your state of registration for 136k pounds which will cover loads to about 95k pounds.
If Mild Thunder would get in to boat hauling, what kind of insurance would be needed & cost?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered

You make it sound like ocean containers from the yard.
Or is it local p/u and delivery or over the road work?
Do you want to be away from home all the time?
I ran domestic and international out of Elk Grove and Bensenville for ten years theres plenty of work. "O'hare"
Contract and haul loads to the APO.
Get a couple cube trucks and do hot shots.
Cargo vans and do pick up and delivery of small packages for cargo companys
theres over 1000 cargo companys in that area and they all dont have there own trucks.

You just need to plan it right theres plenty of $$$ to made in that area.
But if you want to do over the road good luck.

Look into driving oil tankers for companies that do oil recycling
p/u and drop at the same places everyday and no surprises the pay is good too. Theres a couple in the Elk grove area.

Des plaines, Rosemont, Bensenville, Elk Grove, Woodale, Itasca then theres the big parks in
Naperville, Bloomingdale, Schaumburg, North Aurora has a big park going up I can keep going but you get what Im saying.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:52 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChiToWn TapouT
You make it sound like ocean containers from the yard.
Or is it local p/u and delivery or over the road work?
Do you want to be away from home all the time?
I ran domestic and international out of Elk Grove and Bensenville for ten years theres plenty of work. "O'hare"
Contract and haul loads to the APO.
Get a couple cube trucks and do hot shots.
Cargo vans and do pick up and delivery of small packages for cargo companys
theres over 1000 cargo companys in that area and they all dont have there own trucks.

You just need to plan it right theres plenty of $$$ to made in that area.
But if you want to do over the road good luck.

Look into driving oil tankers for companies that do oil recycling
p/u and drop at the same places everyday and no surprises the pay is good too. Theres a couple in the Elk grove area.

Des plaines, Rosemont, Bensenville, Elk Grove, Woodale, Itasca then theres the big parks in
Naperville, Bloomingdale, Schaumburg, North Aurora has a big park going up I can keep going but you get what Im saying.
i think he was asking about hauling boats....

Quick Reply: Boat hauling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.