Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sunny Isles Marina- OH MY GOD!!! >

Sunny Isles Marina- OH MY GOD!!!

Notices

Sunny Isles Marina- OH MY GOD!!!

Old 10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Sunny Isles Marina- OH MY GOD!!!

I gave up on the rack marinas.........they beat up my boat in good weather......41 in ft.lauderdale warehouse no damage............sea ray in slip at hollywood a1a lost aft curtain..........home and cabana Aok.........m.m............good luck to you all.............mark.
Attached Thumbnails Sunny Isles Marina- OH MY GOD!!!-img_0020-3-.jpg  
Old 10-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el indio
it was coming down anyway.......sold for 24 million...
Who bought it ?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Where is Sunny Isles marina
-------------------------

See thread Key west underwater..

There are some photos...

The marina ia south of Lauderdale
Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie B.
Who bought it ?
they are going to the condo commandos............he also bought the real ft. apache and sold it to the condo commandos...............they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.....took all the boats and put in a boat museam.........charged all the people a dollar and a half just to seeum...............m.m.....you just dont know what youve got till its GONE...............magnum mark.......
Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are going to the condo commandos............he also bought the real ft. apache and sold it to the condo commandos...............they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.....took all the boats and put in a boat museam.........charged all the people a dollar and a half just to seeum...............m.m.....you just dont know what youve got till its GONE...............magnum mark.......
wasn't that a song?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great song
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Posted on Mon, Oct. 24, 2005

BOATS
Marinas, houseboats destroyed
A houseboat community in North Bay Village was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Wilma's winds.
BY SCOTT HIAASEN, DAVID OVALLE AND ALDO NAHED
[email protected]

Hurricane Wilma showed little mercy to boat owners around Miami-Dade County, sinking a fleet of houseboats along the 79th Street Causeway and turning a pair of Sunny Isles boat-storage warehouses into a spectacular aluminum jumble.

Monday's storm may also have led to the death of a boater, a man whose body was found floating near a submerged sailboat in Maule Lake in Aventura, police said.

''We don't know if the man came off the vessel or not,'' said Aventura police Capt. Skip Washa.

Battering waves overwhelmed at least a dozen houseboats moored at the North Bay Village marinas near the 79th Street Causeway, where the water became a carpet of shredded wood, coolers, televisions, cabinets, mattresses, pillows and stuffed animals.

Miami-Dade firefighters rescued one 81-year-old man at the Bayshore Yacht and Tennis marina who was trapped on a houseboat piled under with debris.

Rescuers had to cut a swath through piles of broken wood just to get a glimpse of boater Clement Mikelis. They pulled him out on a lounge chair.

''It was nasty 40-mph gusts going through,'' said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Capt. Kevin Martin, who led the search for Mikelis. ``So many people are here, they love him and they kept telling us he was still in his houseboat.''

Among the others left homeless were Carolyn Benz and her husband, who tried to ride out the storm aboard their 2,500-square-foot houseboat, as they had in past hurricanes. By 4:30 a.m., the marina's froth was too furious, and Benz and her husband abandoned the boat to hide behind a condo.

''It was like a million planes going over at once,'' she said. ``I watched the boats all go down.''

Hours later, Benz sipped a Michelob Ultra beer while standing in front of a crumpled dock. Her houseboat, Candle Dancer, was mostly underwater -- a total loss.

''I've got no clothes except for what I've got on,'' she said.

Of Candle Dancer, she said: ``It was a beautiful home.''

As Wilma spun north, the storm winds began to tear apart two warehouses at Fort Apache Marina on Sunny Isles Boulevard, collapsing the structures that held at least 300 boats -- including the lone vessel in the Sunny Isles Beach Marine Patrol.

From her home across the water, Laurie Hanimov watched the winds tear at the warehouses -- first plucking off a piece of roof, then a garage door.

''We have lived here four years and we have never seen anything like this. This is the worst storm since we have been here,'' she said.

Capt. Ken Hinsley, who stayed in his boat, said ``The water came up waist high on the pier. But I was lucky, I adjusted lines a couple times at night and now I've got no problems.''

Nine boats from the Coconut Grove sailing club were pushed out of the water on to the rocks and parking lot. And at Dinner Key, a recovery boat sank.

Boats in North Miami's waterfront Keystone Point neighborhood, meanwhile, generally fared well, with little damage.

Storm debris, however, made some neighborhood streets impassable. Clemente Vivanco's home bore the brunt of four fallen trees, including a 40-foot mango that he said ``snapped like a match.''

Next door to Vivanco's home, a neighbor removed hurricane shutters and plywood, including one sheet of plywood with the words ''Wilma sucks'' scrawled in red spray paint.

Below Wilma were the names ''Frances'' and ''Katrina'' crossed out.

Herald staff writers Carli Teproff, Jack Dolan, Ben Torter, Michael Vasquez and Susannah A. Nesmith contributed to this story.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thats about a mile from my condo

or should i say where my condo WAS
Old 10-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
thats about a mile from my condo

or should i say where my condo WAS
Mine too I'm at Mystic Pointe, where are you?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

treasure island in north bay village

grandview palace right above the reasure ilse marina

Quick Reply: Sunny Isles Marina- OH MY GOD!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.