Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What type of boat is in the movie "Sahara"? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115270-what-type-boat-movie-sahara.html)

bmanafort 10-27-2005 05:59 PM

What type of boat is in the movie "Sahara"?

Anyone know the type of boat that is in the movie Sahara?

offshoredrillin 10-27-2005 06:21 PM

Re: What type of boat is in the movie "Sahara"?

a junk one, i heard them reference scarab(to scarabs chagrin), but rest assured its a movie boat with many panels screwed on to make it look cool...think Munster car...all show no blow...

masher44 10-27-2005 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
...all show no blow...

so it's a Tiger? :evilb:

offshoredrillin 10-27-2005 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by masher44
so it's a Tiger? :evilb:

mine runs...on 8 plugs(per motor) no less....:evilb:

jhiguy377 10-27-2005 08:23 PM

Its a British boat with a name that now eludes me- something like Medstar or something

Rforsey 10-27-2005 08:37 PM

bmanafort ,

I too wanted to know what boat that was...maybe if all the guys are done joking they can really tell us. yes I know some of the scenes are beyond what you would do to a boat..but I still want to know what it is . and where to find one, and if Matthew comes with it that is a plus :evilb:
Kell

offshoredrillin 10-27-2005 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rforsey
bmanafort ,

I too wanted to know what boat that was...maybe if all the guys are done joking they can really tell us. yes I know some of the scenes are beyond what you would do to a boat..but I still want to know what it is . and where to find one, and if Matthew comes with it that is a plus :evilb:
Kell

I was serious, I read somwhere that they took a scarab and made it up to look special. Same as hulk hogans boat in whatever movie that was.

lemme guess you really dont think Herbie the love bug beat a race car do ya?

Rforsey 10-27-2005 08:50 PM

You have got to be kidding I hate punch buggies.... and I really want to know what type of boat that is... I think it was a cool older boat. with or with out Matthew. I like the lines and over all size of the boat I am guessing very late 80's. someone told me it might be a baja force but I am not so sure.

Rforsey 10-27-2005 08:52 PM

P.S. I would love a 67 Camaro that would kick the love bugs A**.

masher44 10-27-2005 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
mine runs...on 8 plugs(per motor) no less....:evilb:

ouch! I could still 73 on 7.... :evilb:

chromecat 10-27-2005 10:00 PM

i thought it looked italian,... nice leather interior, nice smooth lines that dropped towards the transom, very european ...in my opinion.

Don

jmeng 10-27-2005 10:13 PM

No way that was a modified scarab or any other offshore performance. Had a definite European look to it.

spk1 10-28-2005 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by bmanafort
Anyone know the type of boat that is in the movie Sahara?

The Boat is a british design. Its is called a "HUNTON GAZELLE 43" The actual Movie boat was forsale on ebay a few months back, I am not sure what it went for, when I looked it was at a bid of $160,000. I found a review of the boat here. www.ybw.com/ybw/reprints/hunton/hunton/43.html
If that link does not work, search google "hunton gazelle 43 motor boat and yachting" that should bring up the review. :drink:

spk1 10-28-2005 02:03 AM

I just found the movie boat forsale on yachtworld.com, type (hunton) (43) (1998-2006) price ($1-500,000). I guess boardom and insomnia has its perks. :rolleyes:

mbowers 10-28-2005 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't see screwed on panels :rolleyes:

fine jade 10-28-2005 10:46 AM

my guess would of been riva

DBELL6 10-28-2005 10:47 AM

Looks like a Jet Drive in the movie

Waterfoul 10-28-2005 11:37 AM

It was a cool boat and the scenes were cool too. BUT, they were supposedly diesels. So therefore the burning cigar trick wouldn't have worked very well... diesel is hard to ignite with a cigar. Very hard.

And you can have Matt. I'll take the chick... Penelope Cruz!!!

Waterfoul 10-28-2005 11:40 AM

The movie has a pretty cool official web site.

http://www.saharamovie.com/main.html

click on downloads, wallpaper and watch the boat scenes in the intro!

ofshore 10-28-2005 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DBELL6
Looks like a Jet Drive in the movie

I found this on the net:

Stars Mathew McConaughey and Penelope Cruz spend most of the first half of Sahara onboard a stunning Hunton 43 Gazelle, which is kitted out with Simrad navigation equipment. With an intense filming schedule in Morocco, the production crew required three specially adapted for filming Gazelles, two fully loaded with jet drives and one basic hull to blow up for the finale of a stunning chase scene

magnum27 10-28-2005 12:09 PM

the boat in question did run jet drives, Hunton's are really nice boats, just don't see them in the US often. They stopped production in 1990 and now have restarted production.

26scarab 10-28-2005 02:32 PM

Herbie's not real ?!?!?!? :(

I was a little dissapointed in the movie. I'm a big fan of Clive Cussler and his whole series of books (Sahara was out a few years ago) but they never adapt very well into movie form. The last book turned movie he did was "raise the titantic" and I think that flopped.

fine jade 10-28-2005 03:14 PM

does the boat manufacturer have a web sight.

ChromeGorilla 10-28-2005 03:27 PM

It is a Hunton Gazelle.... 43'. They do have a website but I just tried it and it appears to be down.

GLH 10-30-2005 07:52 PM

Volvo powered cruiser... nothing to write Mom about...

http://homepage.mac.com/harveybowden...UNTON---22.jpg

McGary911 10-30-2005 09:44 PM

Yep, Hunton like everyone says. Been a couple of threads on this one. One member's dad was involved in the filming of the movie.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ghlight=sahara

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ghlight=sahara