Questions on upgrading to a "big boat" for a newbie >

Questions on upgrading to a "big boat" for a newbie

Notices

Questions on upgrading to a "big boat" for a newbie

Old 10-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on upgrading to a "big boat" for a newbie

I've wanted a larger (26+ foot) fountain/ciggarette/baja style power boat ever since I was a kid. I'm 24 years old now and am thinking it is possibly time to get my first real boat. I've owned quite a few bowriders but everything so far has been under 20 foot. I think I am ready for something larger but need advice on what to purchase with my experience level and cash flow. I have about $15,000-18,000 to spend and have seen some late 80's 27-32 footers in that price range.

My main question is would it be a feasable investment to go with one of these older boats or should I wait until I have more to spend to get something newer and more reliable?

The second question- can you trailer a boat this size on a regular basis? I live in Minnesota and am not on a lake so the boat would be trailered every time it was to be used.

Third question- how much money is it going to cost to run one of these in gas per day and maby how much to winterize them in the fall?

Fourth question- should I be looking for a single or dual motor setup? I was thinking a single motor in a 27 foot would be more along the lines of what I am looking for (for ease of maintenence, gas savings, and less weight to lug around)

Basicly I'm a newbie and need to know if I should go for it or stick with a big bowrider for the next year or 2. Thanks in advance for all advice!
Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Questions on upgrading to a "big boat" for a newbie

one piece of advice. For that price range, your most likely going to spend more time working on it than running it. Remember this is your valued time of work with friends or family. Don't compromise if you can avoid it.
No problem trailering. If it's a lake boat go single if it's an efficient hull, gas will be about 1-300 per weekend. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:13 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

I can tell you first hand this is a hell of a boat for the $$$
26' twin runs and looks good (and no it is not mine)
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7406.html

Last edited by packinair; 10-29-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Registered

I think your goning to be hard pressed to find anything worth wild in that price range. Maybe a mid 80's Baja 24 Outlaw. Forget twins. Make sure you have the budget to repair or replace a motor /drive or your gonna end up owning a boat shaped planter.

Keep some of that cash and take the payment plan, get something you can enjoy. Summers are too short.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are plenty of older boats out there that have been well maintaned or uprgaded over the years in that price range. With your budget I would go with a single and something that is pretty stock, the more HP the more money in fuel, maintnance and everything else. If you get an older Baja or Formula or something to that effect you will be happy. Don't evpect to do much more then about 60 MPH for that kinda money though. The trailer thing is no problem as long as you have an adequete to rig.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered

Four Winns (Liberator), Checkmate, Chris Craft Pachanga, maybe an older Formula 272 all would be solid choices.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a nice 1990 Baja for sale right here (yes it's mine)
V
V
V
V
Old 10-30-2005, 04:15 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DSM,
check out that boat that Packin posted a link to. I was out on it last weekend. It runs strong. A 26' with Twins, great running boat.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd say your a tad too low in the funds department to be able to find a solid boat throughout with a decent engine. That said, I'd stay away from any boats with after market engines. You don't want someone elses tinker toy sucking up your dollars. Also pay a reputable marine mechanic to check out the engine first, ie. compression and leak down tests. Trailering is no problem as long as you make sure the trailer is in safe condition and the brakes work. Good luck.

Last edited by Ing; 10-30-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, that 26' Chris is right up his alley.
Twins, runs strong, I'm not sure if Dave has a trailer for it or not, but it's a good boat - and in his price range.

Quick Reply: Questions on upgrading to a "big boat" for a newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.