Notices

Poker Run Question?

Old 10-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poker Run Question?

Ok
Don't make fun of me here but I have a question about the poker run scene on the east coast , mainly Florida. I have been kicking around going to some in 2006 . I have a 27' Donzi ZX withe a 500 EFI, boat cruises easily at 60 in any kind of water and has a top speed of 70 . What kind of speeds are these poker runs averaging? what kind of performance do you need to go and not be the last guy in everytime wearing a wool suit? I have plans for a upping the 500 to more ponies in the future , not sure how yet but I just want to go and have a good time .... So can any people out there give some clues to the way it works. I know all about the top teir guys running 100 plus and I have no desire yet to be one of those guys ( funds not available) . so I guess what I am saying is can an average boat go and have a good time?

Bryan
Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Poker Run Question?

Yes, You can go and have a good time. I have a 42' Cigarette and I am always in the back of the pack, but thats where I prefer to run. My boat will not run close to 100 mph. I just run at my own pace which is usually around 65 mph and hang towards the back. A great Poker Run for you to do with your boat would be the Miami boat show run in Febuary. We leave from Miami and go thru the back waters of Biscane bay to Key Largo. Then we proceed on the inside to Islamorada and have one hell of a weekend. This particular run is a great way to meet alot of people as we all stay in the same hotel andall drink at the Tiki bar together. You will learn quick that no one cares if you have a 23' or a 63' boat. Its all about the comraderie. Call the Stu at the Florida Power boat Club and talk with him about your concerns. Im sure he will lead you in the right direction
Old 10-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by otis311
Yes, You can go and have a good time. I have a 42' Cigarette and I am always in the back of the pack, but thats where I prefer to run. My boat will not run close to 100 mph. I just run at my own pace which is usually around 65 mph and hang towards the back. A great Poker Run for you to do with your boat would be the Miami boat show run in Febuary. We leave from Miami and go thru the back waters of Biscane bay to Key Largo. Then we proceed on the inside to Islamorada and have one hell of a weekend. This particular run is a great way to meet alot of people as we all stay in the same hotel andall drink at the Tiki bar together. You will learn quick that no one cares if you have a 23' or a 63' boat. Its all about the comraderie. Call the Stu at the Florida Power boat Club and talk with him about your concerns. Im sure he will lead you in the right direction
Was thinking about that one as well as the SEADOGS Donzi event in Jax, the last weekend on April 06.
Louisville Boater you reading this?

Bryan
Old 10-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bryan, there will always be faster boats than you. You don't need to be in front to have a good time. I have run a few poker runs in my 22' Donzi Classic. Part of the fun is being on the water next to the high dollar stuff you don't see everyweekend. And while I'd love to run up over 100, it's a neat sight watching a high $$, bad ass cat pass you rippin 120 or more with a monster rooster....... Where are you in FL? Jacksonville Firefighters Poker Run is a great one.....
Old 10-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered

Bryan I ran the AngelAid one last April. This is a smaller event with around 50 boats. This would be a great first poker run for you. I'll be there again this year. Last year everything from 16' Donzi's to some 35' Fountains a 23' deck boat with a whipple charged 377 Scorpion......
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

We just started doing poker runs this past year. We did the Daytona Run with FPC, Jacksonville with FPC, and Sarasota with OPBA. Daytona was the best run we did. You can run up the ICW and cruise with everyone and see the great sights. There are always some people that will run fast but you can easily cruise that poker run at 60mph.

Jacksonville is more of a balls to the walls run in the St. Johns River. However, boats broke off in groups and ran with each other. That is a great poker run if the weather is good. There are usually 100+ registered teams.

Sarasota was ok, and there were some great boats, but it was too rough in the ocean so some people went back to the inside.

The Easter Poker Run would be another great poker run I think. It is definitely a more family oriented poker run down to Key Largo. We will be hitting a few more this year.

LS JR.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Poker Run Question?

I agree,It really doesnt matter what you run as long as your comfortable,we just joined the flpc and ran lake lanier with a 29 foot kryptonite ,met a good group as always and didnt feel out of place one bit.We did just trade up to a 38 fastech but then again wife and 3 kids demand a little cush.Never thought I would swap boats but what the hell why Not!

Ps.we run @ 60mph or so as well.Im not lookin to break stuff just enjoy!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
I agree,It really doesnt matter what you run as long as your comfortable,we just joined the flpc and ran lake lanier with a 29 foot kryptonite ,met a good group as always and didnt feel out of place one bit.We did just trade up to a 38 fastech but then again wife and 3 kids demand a little cush.Never thought I would swap boats but what the hell why Not!

Ps.we run @ 60mph or so as well.Im not lookin to break stuff just enjoy!
Nice....
Old 10-30-2005, 04:12 PM

I run a 26 ZX 502/415 hp and have been invloved with many of the runs. sarasota poker run, 1000 Islands Poker Run, Atlantic City Poker Run and NY Hudson Run, I only run 66 MPH and I have no problem running with everyone, I also have just as much fun so with that said welcome to Poker Run fever.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
I run a 26 ZX 502/415 hp and have been invloved with many of the runs. sarasota poker run, 1000 Islands Poker Run, Atlantic City Poker Run and NY Hudson Run, I only run 66 MPH and I have no problem running with everyone, I also have just as much fun so with that said welcome to Poker Run fever.
Frank

were you in Sarasota?

I missed that one ... did not hear about it until too late, however I will be ther next year for sure...Hopefully sporting a supercharged 500 EFI

Glad to hear I will be able to hang with the other boats, definately not into breaking stuff at this point just want to have a nice time.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Poker Run Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.