Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cant beat a deal like this (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115490-cant-beat-deal-like.html)

seanv 10-31-2005 11:19 PM

cant beat a deal like this

well here i am a month of owning a 31 a.o. and i've spent most my time working on the damn thing. i did buy the a.o. that cumberland marine had. they said it was a 2004 and took a picture of the gauges showing 49hours.
well....both superchargers were shot and im in the process of putting the engines back together. not what you expect from buying a 2 year old boat.
so will i ever send someone there to look at a boat...not a chance in hell!! i lost a fun and fast daytona to a broken down 1/2 a**ed rigged broken down p.o.s.
gee thanks cumberland!
i do want to thank some of the guys here for the information and help they've given.

jb 11-01-2005 08:35 AM

Re: cant beat a deal like this

did you look at the boat before you bought it???

If it was a Half azzed rigged boat why did you buy it?

seanv 11-01-2005 10:44 AM

unfortunately i took their pictures to gospel and drove 1900 miles one way. 830 at night when I got it, didn't really get to look at it until I got home, another 1900 miles. figured I'd be safe dealing with a dealer. Guess I was wrong.

CigDaze 11-01-2005 11:15 AM

Welcome to the board, Sean. Sorry for your troubles, hope you find this an informative place.

I have to tell you though, buying a boat sight unseen, and especially not sea-trialing, is treading in dangerous waters.

Was the misrepresented in any way? Or just not what you expected?

In any event, I hope you get things sorted out.

:cool:

Son of a Gun 11-01-2005 11:42 AM

We bought our Cig from Lake Cumberland Marine and didn't really have any issues. We went down and sea trialed the boat, along with having a survey done. Any issues we had with the boat, we had them take care of before we did the deal, and they came through. A dealer will do/fix whatever they can to make a deal go through.

seanv 11-01-2005 06:29 PM

well this was a long distance deal and i guess i was wrong for trusting them. i've dealt with dealers closer to home and have never been let down like this. i even called one of them about this and they were shocked that cumberland would treat a customer in this fashion.
as far as missrepresentation goes... if i tell you i have a 2004 for sale with 49hours what would you expect to purchase? would you think both superchargers would be shot? would you expect any major failures at all? hell most of the gauges dont even work.
once again my fault for trusting them and for not asking them to do a daytime delivery.
as far as this site.. i've chatted with a few guys who have been very helpful and have given very sound advice. i guess i got spoiled dealing with boat brokers and eliminator!!! this is like dealing with a slimey used car lot

seanv 11-01-2005 09:37 PM

another members post
whoa...
i guess we all need to be on guard against "shady" deals....
your situation stinks....but you're doing the right thing..WARN OTHERS!!
...only the consumer can put a stop to that kind of stuff....best of luck with an AWESOME hull...the old chriscrafts/cats could really pounce!
...remember:motors will wear out faster than a great hull....
c
my reply
yep i tried being the nice guy and talked calm and made reasonable requests to have this rebuilt by a dealer i trust but they just kept blowing me off. well im going to make sure everyone knows how cumberland marine does business as well as make reports to the authorities. what could have been an easy fix and chance for them to shine has turned into a very negative experience that everyone needs to know about!

US1 Fountain 11-01-2005 10:00 PM

Have you made contact with LCM over this since your findings, or is it an as-is deal?

Sorry about your dealings.

seanv 11-01-2005 10:22 PM

yes i have and i spoke with randy personally and his reply is "sorry i dont know what to tell you. i cant put any more money in that boat." i was beeing nice and only asking for these engines to be re-built so they were in fact 2004-49 hour engines or as close as that could be. these engines are 1998 model engines and were ran, broken, 1/2 azz repaired and that repair is now worn to failure. one of the engines had a major failure and needs a full rebuild. and no help from lake cumberland marine!!!

fatdaddy 11-01-2005 11:39 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles.