Notices

Speaker Holes

Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Holes

I plan on cutting two holes for a speaker upgrade in a 29 Fountain. The place of the holes will be in the front lower of the cockpit one next to the driver and one next to the passenger. Whats the best way to cut a hole for a speaker. What tools are needed? Any little tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Speaker Holes

Most come with a template. Mine came with a clear sticker as a template. I drilled a hole on the edge and followed the pattern with a jig jaw to cut mine out. Used a rough plywood blade.
Attached Thumbnails Speaker Holes-interior-012.jpg  
Old 11-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a rotozip cut better then jig saw and dose not scratch
Old 11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

why not underneath the rear seat?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

if you go with the Rotozip use a tile blade and let the tool do the cutting. the standard bit dulls very quickly when cuttung fiberglass. i use the Rotozip only in tight quarters and a jigsaw for everything else.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I used a Rotozip-type tool. Several folks make them; as mine is a Ryobi. Go for the tile bit as suggested. Also, make a 3D template of what is the REAR portion of your speaker, as in what portion of the housing and magnet are going to portrude behind the fiberglass into the void. I made this rough dimension 3D template out of a block of wood. I crawled up to exactly behind where I was going to install my speakers, and slid the 3D template around a few inches in each direction to make sure nothing conflicted.

Wear eye protection, as the RotoZip bits snap often for no fricking reason. Also, get your shop vacuum out and have it running right below where you are cutting, WHILE you are cutting, and cut down on dust and mess.

If you are trying to hear these speakers while you are at speed on plane; forget it. I had two speakers down there on my 37 Active Thunder, and could not hear them for anything. I added two more (co-axial) speakers up much higher; up in the gunwales.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holesaw
Old 11-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Put masking tape down all around were you plan to cut. Then you can draw it out on the tape. Brians suggestion of MAKE SURE you have the room behide is a good one. I use a saw except for the tight spots. Are you going to have to cut througt vynale or are you in glass only?

Jon
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a jig saw when mounting mine in the same place. But I used a fine pitched blade to keep from chipping the FG any more than necessary. There's like 10" behind there. Be careful on the passengers side, fuel lines back there.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

use a holesaw the size needed masking tape off the area that you are cutting thru check for clearance behind where cutting, run the drill in reverse till you get cut thru the glass a little bit the go forward with nice even preassure on it to keep dust down run a shop vac as you cut.

Quick Reply: Speaker Holes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.