Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Old 11-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Re: Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
life lines are not uscg approved...
No they are not but the are much better protection then some hopefully self inflating thing. Keep the USCG on-board and wear a life line
Old 11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Registered

My Boats: 08' 44 MTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman
you dont think ron was calling for the end of poker runs? he wont have to when insurers start calling them races they will end in the blink of an eye. they are not races. if the big boys want to see who has the bigger balls whose gonna stop em? everone runs at thier own pace. its the drivers call on how far forward to push the sticks.
I agree. There are guys racing, just like any other day on the water.But it is not a race and there are no awards for the fastest boat or first to any card stop. Yes I know there are like 2 exceptions to this, but of the literally hundreds of runs there aren't awards.There are plenty of runs with speed limits and pace boats, so to group them all together and print this type of article is very unprofessional and uneducated. If he has a problem with some the runs and how they are run he should have named them and their policies.
Anyone one who likes this article, better not be planning on going to any more PRs because if the insurance companies view it as a race there will disappear. The insurance companies will not cover ANY boat, including yours, no matter how fast or slow you are. Than no one will show up at these runs and they will be gone.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Bern, I understand your frustration with the article, being a President of a powerboat club myself. But I also have to agree with the article. Tom
Yes it is slightly frustrating, but i'll leave it at this. As long as the outcome is for the greater good of the sport thats all that matters.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Folks, I can tell from your comments that most of you have not read the entire article.

EBM wants Poker Runs to continue for a long, long time, its our livelihood too. That will only happen if insurance companies continue to write policies. Several have already stopped and more are going to stop writing poker run policies.

EBM has rented a room in Miami during the boat show. We have (so far) about 20 people signed up to attend. Manufacturers, poker run producers, insurance underwriters and Coast Guard officers. EBM will simply facilitate the conversation between these parties. It is our goal to see some minor changes take place that will help to make Poker Runs safer for everyone AND to give the insurance companies a comfort level so they continue to write policies.

You have to admit, it's very very rare for a magazine to publish and article that is not popular with 100% of it's readers and advertisers. This article was only published after being sent to guys like Stu Jones, Billy Frenz and ten more for their input before it was published. We didn't do this lightly because if Poker Runs go away, so does EBM. We want to secure our future.

The meeting is open to any and all Poker Run producers. If you would like to attend, please email me [email protected], I'll add you to the list.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Registered

I personally enjoy Poker Runs for what they are, a group of fast boat out for a pleasure run. I have been asked no less than a dozen time to race one of the circuits. Not going to happen. I do not want to push it to the limits to win a race. The corners are where a lot of trouble occurs in a race. I have one of those really fast boats. Often times lifting the hatches is enough for "show and tell". We all know who is fast. Many boats can cruise nicely at 100+ in complete control. Maybe the author has a slower boat or has been in 70 mph boats that are a handful. Those boat owners comment to me all the time how can anyone go faster then them if they are having a hard time in their boat at 70 mph. They assume faster must be reckless. If Poker Runs are going to hold the speeds down with no passing the pace boat, I stop going. I want to cruise a 100 at half throttle providing condtions warrant the speed. I have been as slow as 40 mph at Poker Runs. I do not care to get tossed around as it is not a race. I have nothing to prove, I know and they know how fast my boat is.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Two final thoughts.

1. The article never offers any new rules or guidlines. We want the industry to come up with these at the meeting in Miami... not us.

2. You'll never find the words - SLOW DOWN - in the article. We are not trying to say that in any way. Just wear the proper safety equipment for the speeds you plan to travel. Just common sense stuff.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P
Two final thoughts.

1. The article never offers any new rules or guidlines. We want the industry to come up with these at the meeting in Miami... not us.

2. You'll never find the words - SLOW DOWN - in the article. We are not trying to say that in any way. Just wear the proper safety equipment for the speeds you plan to travel. Just common sense stuff.
E X A C T L Y
Old 11-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera

The discussions, debate, and meetings that have and will take place may just save poker runs.

I have Crashed at 70 in straitaway and 95mph in a turn and its not fun.
Regardless of whether you top speed is 70 or 170, if you are running your boat hard and on the edge, full equipment should be worn. Anything less is just plain stupid.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P
The article never offers any new rules or guidlines.

So.....you accidently rip open a bag of stinky smelly dog ****, but don't offer any new bags in which to hold the ****?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
So.....you accidently rip open a bag of stinky smelly dog ****, but don't offer any new bags in which to hold the ****?
The bags will be in Miami at the meeting.

Hopefully it won't be too smelly after the meeting is over.