Like Tree0Likes

Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Old 11-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Registered

Default Re: Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
So.....you accidently rip open a bag of stinky smelly dog ****, but don't offer any new bags in which to hold the ****?
The whole idea of getting all the groups together in MIAMI is to create a new and BETTER BAG
Old 11-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Registered

My Boats: 46 turbined Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P
You have to admit, it's very very rare for a magazine to publish and article that is not popular with 100% of it's readers and advertisers.
I beleive you meant to exclude the word "NOT" out of the sentence.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

In my experience PR Organizers (1)set the time and place, and the responsible ones (2)will lay down rules and guidelines. And usually that's typically where it ends (begins).

Let's face it folks, it's not for nothing that we spend the kinds of money we do on our boats to look good and go fast. PR's bring us together, and sadly, too many people have too much to prove. The buzz is always who was there first, who was second, and so on???

You can lend a blind eye and think that PR's are not races but they are, (some even hand out awards to the leaders). A great many pleasure boats (many displayed and spoken about here on OSO) are capable of speeds and characteristics far ourperforming most race boats....Why? - personal gratification, or a desire to be the biggest, fastest, baddest guy on the next PR?

And we've all seen the pics here and in print mags. Ladies hanging out on sunpads, folks cramming 14 people in 8-person boats, sparse use of life-saving equipment, etc., etc.

It's not unimaginable for one to come to the conclusion that maybe, perhaps, (shhhh, don't say it), safety isn't the #1 concern all the time.
??????

I'm Not doggin' all PR's, because there are some very tighly-run, and thoroughly commendable organizations and runs out there, but there are plenty more which defy logic sometimes.

We either do our runs the right way, or eventually some agency or ins. company will tell us we can't. No one wants that to happen.

Last edited by CigDaze; 11-10-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: 08' 44 MTI

Quote:
Two final thoughts.

2. You'll never find the words - SLOW DOWN - in the article. We are not trying to say that in any way. Just wear the proper safety equipment for the speeds you plan to travel. Just common sense stuff.
No you didn't say that, Exactly. What you said was, if you want to drive fast with with your friend, then leave the poker runs and start racing. Sound like the same statement just different words to me.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:10 PM
RHC
Registered

Quote:
Two final thoughts.

1. The article never offers any new rules or guidlines. We want the industry to come up with these at the meeting in Miami... not us.

2. You'll never find the words - SLOW DOWN - in the article. We are not trying to say that in any way. Just wear the proper safety equipment for the speeds you plan to travel. Just common sense stuff.
I want to stay out of this,,, However,,, Your statement of (We want the industry to come up with these at the meeting in Miami) does not hold water ,,, First its not your place to put rules in place ,,, 2nd the industry will not be represented in Miami ,,, only a hand full will have the ability to be there ..

Any one who thinks the insurance industry has any viable in put is crazy,,,, The industry will always look for Liability folks,, there is no such thing as insurance protection,,, The legal industry will always look for the deep pockets !!!

It is the Captain of the Ship that is in control and has to be the responsible party ... Period ,,, end of story

RHC
Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHC

It is the Captain of the Ship that is in control and has to be the responsible party ... Period ,,, end of story

RHC
Not when the liabilty moves into local and regional government, police and individual township that control sections of the waterways where the runs take place as well as the Coast Guard and so.

IE....local enforcement of seat belts, speed limits, traffic controls and cell phone usage. All put in place to control SAFETY on the roads.......if you think the water is not open to these restrictions because of seriuos accidents and or loss of life.....well your head is burried in the sand.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:28 PM
RHC
Registered

I did not say anything about not obeying any laws or restrictions that are in place ,,,, My thoughts are along the lines that You and I and anyone else will be held accountable for our actions,,,

and Ron,,, I do not refer to You as in the first person ,,, I am saying that a set of rules can not be set from a meeting at the boat show,,,, Every water way has its own set of needs and rules that might or might not be in place

RHC
Old 11-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU

I want to put a different spin on things.............If a organized group or a "Poker Run" is happening. And some guy is out with his family in his ski boat, just enjoying the water........and gets ran over who would liable?

Answer:

Promoters

Officers of the promoters

then the Captins

I don't think people relize the big picture.........its just not a rolled over boat. Tom
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Are there going to be free cocktails at the safety meeting in Miami?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Are there going to be free cocktails at the safety meeting in Miami?
LMAO!!!