Like Tree0Likes

Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Old 11-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: Sunseeker Superhawk 50', Regal 42', Fountain 32', Dan Arena 21XL Custom, Revolution SST-45,
Default Re: Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Damn Nort!!! Did you have to open up ANOTHER bag of stinky chite?

I read that article last night and thought it was right on the money. If we don't start regulating ourselfes some do-gooders are going to step in and do it for us... their way!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Are there going to be free cocktails at the safety meeting in Miami?
Nort, if you come, we'll bring a bottle of something to add to your coffee.

Definitely free spaghetti for all!

Send me a PM with your email address. You should be there.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: motor sports boats bikes

true not uscg approved,, but i still wear mine.. cheap insurance!! 400- for a good jacket that is proven to work!!
any boat that runs decent it should be mandatory.. i am not into rules regulations etc but speeds are soo high and the need seems to be thier,..
to me its a no brainer!!!
(used to wear the sailboater auto inflatble vest (JUNK))

i just carry on board uscg vests but not going to wear,,they are garbage in comparison././

my boat is too fast to be messing around with 5 mph rated sailboat vest in my opinion,

i am one of the more carefull drivers on poker runs..
simply due to its not a controlled enviroment,, Its hard for me as i came from a background racing motorcycles and i have done a popra ofshore event. i like controlled enviroments.
to be truthfull i dont trust my fellow boaters or their equipment when i have other people in my boat, i am responsible. no matter what if you are the captain the buck stops with you,,, you are incharge of everything that happens goes on etc on your vessel...
we all know stuff happens and i want to avoid that stuff..

certain poker runs and certain sections of poker runs allow to leg em out but i see in many places (especially on the Ca delta) people are not to smart, as u have wakeboarders jet skis fisherman cruisers sailboats etc etc..
but then for instance,
the scope poker run out to catalina for instance you can have tons of room generally visibility for miles and can really lay into it,,

my 02
wear a lifeline and bring a uscg vest to show if get boarded,,
and go have fun,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
life lines are not uscg approved...
Old 11-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: Blackthunder & Malibu ski boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
I want to put a different spin on things.............If a organized group or a "Poker Run" is happening. And some guy is out with his family in his ski boat, just enjoying the water........and gets ran over who would liable?
Answer:
Promoters
Officers of the promoters
then the Captins
I don't think people relize the big picture.........its just not a rolled over boat. Tom
That's my biggest concern. We do great lakes runs, for the most part the waterways are pretty large. But the tons of fishing boats out there during PR's is incredible. It was bad enough at the Lake MI run when willing participants were hurt, but I shudder to think how it would have been had they taken out a fisherman and his son on a small outboard. I like many have laughed as we blow by fish boats but I can't imagine it is fun for them, especially if they have kids on board that might be afraid.

Speaking about willing participants, I find it a hypocritical that as soon as someone is injured one of the first things the family tries to due is sue the pants off the promoters. I would think that would have something to do with insurance rates. I know it is why poker runs have to spend big bucks on insurance policies, so they can be protected when one of their participants pulls a bone head move or has an equipment failure. It is my opinion if you have the balls to run the speed and do the run, hold yourself responsible and no one else. (sorry if this is off the thread topic but it has always been a big pet peeve of mine)
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2003 Hustler Talon ,1997-TopGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB
The discussions, debate, and meetings that have and will take place may just save poker runs.

I have Crashed at 70 in straitaway and 95mph in a turn and its not fun.
Regardless of whether you top speed is 70 or 170, if you are running your boat hard and on the edge, full equipment should be worn. Anything less is just plain stupid.
I agree 100%, this is about safety, not abolishing Poker Runs. Not many of us run Poker Runs at cruise speed, a lot can happen!

Believe or not many go fast guy,s never where lanyards, proper life vests, and couldn't find their fire extinguishers if their lives depended on it.
To me that is the point of this article, simple safety !

We don't let anyone on my boat period, with out the above, weather I'm cruising @ 50mph in my Cigarette or 125mph in my Cat.
Its like the helmet law, I myself where one!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered

My Boats: Blackthunder & Malibu ski boat

I guess I was not clear on my comment on the life vests, I made the comment because Bern was making a big deal about having his family out on a PR wearing USCGA approved vests. That type of thinking can still get people in trouble because if I am not mistaken the tube types are as well.

Since most participants love seeing pictures of their boats in the mags and videos I think this is an area that could help with the enforcement of the safty rules of the run. I think none of the professional pictures should be printed or published if it is evident that the driver or passengers were breaking any of the rules. The hellicopter should be also be given the rules and told not to bother videoing any boat breaking them. Since the organizers can't be on every boat maybe this will be a bit of a detterent. If the mags start picturing only the boats with the safety gear on, it might also help make a statement. It could help make the impression that we are a responsible group instead of hands and beer cans waving in the air. After all most of the people that want to govern and insure these runs only have our pictures to look at.

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 11-10-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:06 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
true not uscg approved,, but i still wear mine.. cheap insurance!! 400- for a good jacket that is proven to work!!
any boat that runs decent it should be mandatory.. i am not into rules regulations etc but speeds are soo high and the need seems to be thier,..
to me its a no brainer!!!
(used to wear the sailboater auto inflatble vest (JUNK))

i just carry on board uscg vests but not going to wear,,they are garbage in comparison././

my boat is too fast to be messing around with 5 mph rated sailboat vest in my opinion,

i am one of the more carefull drivers on poker runs..
simply due to its not a controlled enviroment,, Its hard for me as i came from a background racing motorcycles and i have done a popra ofshore event. i like controlled enviroments.
to be truthfull i dont trust my fellow boaters or their equipment when i have other people in my boat, i am responsible. no matter what if you are the captain the buck stops with you,,, you are incharge of everything that happens goes on etc on your vessel...
we all know stuff happens and i want to avoid that stuff..

certain poker runs and certain sections of poker runs allow to leg em out but i see in many places (especially on the Ca delta) people are not to smart, as u have wakeboarders jet skis fisherman cruisers sailboats etc etc..
but then for instance,
the scope poker run out to catalina for instance you can have tons of room generally visibility for miles and can really lay into it,,

my 02
wear a lifeline and bring a uscg vest to show if get boarded,,
and go have fun,..
i agree totally, i was just answering ms patriyacht's question and the statement that bern said they always wear USCGA life jackets....
Old 11-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
I want to put a different spin on things.............If a organized group or a "Poker Run" is happening. And some guy is out with his family in his ski boat, just enjoying the water........and gets ran over who would liable?

Answer:

Promoters

Officers of the promoters

then the Captins

I don't think people relize the big picture.........its just not a rolled over boat. Tom

Correct .... and then those ski boaters and cabin cruisers will petition the local and federal governments to restrict and or abolish ANY high speed boating in that area......end result IMPOSED RESTRICTION FROM OUTSIDE SOURCES......"THE BIGGER PICTURE....the end of the sport......liability or possibility of liable transcends all through the entire scope of boating.....so the easy way not to be liable......severely IMPOSED RESTRICTIONS or shut it down completely which is faster and easier for local officials and government to do. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE.......how many post on OSO have everyone seen about all the lake and waterways with local government wanting imposed 40-50 MAX MPH speed limits. The post the other day on here about SARASOTA and the guy wanted us all to vote NO on the local poll in FL....REMEMBER that one? Or numerous lakes and rivers as well.........these are all RED FLAGS to what is happening around the country....WAKE UP!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Registered

I read the article to be very negative towards fast boats period. What sticks out in my mind was no passing the pace boat. For safety I have five point harness seat belts and Lifeline jackets. When it is rough I slow down. Some Poker Runs I have been in front, some not. Often times the passengers dictate how fast I will go. I will ask at least every 10 minutes if they are OK with everything. I have had one passenger actually fall asleep on the last leg of the Windy City Poker Run in the back seat with belts on going 110mph.

One thing I do notice that can be improved on is the quality of lifejackets some of these peolpe wear at Poker Runs. Some are junk. Those belt/inflatables are crazy. Leave those to the fisherman who falls off his fishing chair. The ski vest is only slightly better providing you only travel 36 mph. $100-500k of for a boat and $30 for a life jacket???
Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I spoke to lifeline today. They aren't CG approved because they offer custom sizes and colors. The CG will only approve life jackets that are made in an identical fashion and size. The Cg wants to know that the stitching will be the same on every jacket.

I also spoke to Stearns about the SOS Suspenders. They are CG certified but never intended to be worn in boats that run over 10 miles per hour. They are made for people like fisherman and sailboaters that would otherwise not wear any protection at all.

If you went before a court and showed an orange five dollar CG approved horseshoe or a $300 custom made Lifeline, which do you think the jury would say is the better piece of equipment to be worn in a 70+ mph boat?