Notices

Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Old 11-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Originally Posted by LIOPA
LOOK - - - EBM knew this would be a controversial topic but felt it needed to be addressed.....that takes GUTS.
LMAO. Since when does it take guts for a journalist to print a controversial topic? That's the name of the game!
Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIOPA
They contacted and emailed the article to many many people connected to the sport before they ran this article...........

Really? Like who?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Really? Like who?
email Ron and ask
Old 11-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

QUOTE BY RON P...

This article was only published after being sent to guys like Stu Jones, Billy Frenz and ten more for their input before it was published.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:02 PM
RHC
Registered

As I said before ,,, I dont really want to get in this mess!!

Sounds like a hidden agenda!! Cut my mike ,, I am out of this!!

RHC
Old 11-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Ron is spot-on.

If we don't get a handle on this, outsiders will IMPOSE restrictions on us that we will absolutely hate.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
What do you mean standards or do you mean laws? Would you inforce them? How would you inforce them.....poker run jail? Is this going to eliminate any PR related injuries or deaths ever? You can not effectively have EMS or divers at every PR venue. Our run covers 100's of square miles of open ocean!

Have we had a death? No.
Have there been injuries? Yes
Will there be a death or injury in the future? Who knows....we can only continue to have rules, provide guidance and educate prior to the run.

STANDARS.....not laws
Like vest standards, classification standards, performance boating class/ experience standards......POKER RUN JAIL.....NO
Adequate emergency teams, spotter boats relative to the size of the run, enough trained divers with helicopter support.

NO........ I would not enforce them WE as a group you, me, the MFG's the organizers and so on would enforce the SAFETY standards.

"HAVE WE HAD A DEATH" --------- Y E S

( SMOKE ON THE WATER) how quickly you forget.

SMOKE ON THE WATER POKER RUN REPORTS BOATING ACCIDENT

Poker Runs Offshore, LLC, promoters of the annual Smoke on the Water Poker Run, held in Grand Haven, Michigan, today confirmed known details of the reported fatal boating accident on Saturday, July 9.

The Poker Run, a recreational boat outing was part of a two-day fund-raising event for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan. In a Poker Run, the participants collect a playing card at each stop; the winner is the boat with the best poker hand at the end of the run. At Smoke on the Water, a $10,000 prize for the winning hand is awarded, with other cash and donated prizes, at a dinner held the night of the Poker Run. On Friday, July 8, boaters took children from the Make-A-Wish Foundation on boat rides and a live auction was held with all proceeds from the auction going to the Make-A-Wish of Michigan. Each boat pays an entry fee to participate in the event.

Over 100 boats set out from Grand Haven Municipal Marina on Saturday at 9 AM to do a 141-mile loop to South Haven, Holland, Muskegon and White Lake. Near the Holland pier, a 42' powerboat capsized, ejecting the four participants. Kevin Sellers, one of the participants on the run was the first to the accident scene in his boat. He and other participants pulled the victims from water and started CPR until the Holland Coast Guard unit arrived on site. To stop the boat from sinking, another boat began towing the powerboat until authorities arrived to retrieve it.

Deceased, is passenger John DeSousa, of Rhode Island. Another passenger, Mike Scaffidi, 42, of Hartland, Wisconsin is still missing, but presumed dead. The owner of the boat, David Morse, 62, from Los Gatos, California was taken to Holland Community Hospital and released on Sunday, July 10tth. Throttleman Bob Russell of Seattle, Washington, was uninjured.

Since 2001, the Smoke on the Water Poker Run has been a favorite of boaters and was ranked as one of the Top Ten Poker Runs by Powerboat magazine. Participants came from across the country to enjoy a two-day boating vacation with friends on Lake Michigan and to raise funds for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan. The auction held on Friday, July 8th raised $38,000. Since it's five year inception, Smoke on the Water Poker Run has raised over $143,000 for Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan.

"Safety is a top priority at this and all Poker Runs," stated Marc Blondin co-organizer of the event, "No alcohol is consumed on board or during the run and safety jackets are required. This is not a race-it is a recreational event organized to take advantage of the beautiful waters we enjoy in this area and to raise money for a great cause. "We regret this unfortunate accident and send our sympathies to the families of the deceased."

The Holland and Grand Haven authorities are conducting an investigation into the cause of the accident. Other participants in the Poker Run have reported that the V-hulled boat made a sharp left turn and flipped over. The speed of the boat has not been determined. All the boaters were wearing life jackets.

"We morn the loss of our friends and supporters of Smoke on the Water," said Bob Luellen, co-organizer of the event, "We have always prided ourselves on holding a first-class, well-run event that people loved to attend. Seeing the looks on the faces of our 'Wish Kids' when they got to ride in those boats made all the work that goes into producing this kind of event worth it. We hope that the good that was done for Make-A-Wish isn't lost in this tragic accident."

Organizers praised the participants of the Poker Run for their quick response and assistance. "There is great camaraderie among our boating community and we thank everyone for their efforts," said Blondin. The group immediately started a fund for the families of the accident victims and anyone wishing to contribute to the "Mike and Johnny Fund" can do so by contacting the Poker Runs Offshore LLC at 800-339-1235.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
I want to put a different spin on things.............If a organized group or a "Poker Run" is happening. And some guy is out with his family in his ski boat, just enjoying the water........and gets ran over who would liable?

Answer:

Promoters

Officers of the promoters

then the Captins

I don't think people relize the big picture.........its just not a rolled over boat. Tom

This is what is wrong with this country. The captain is always ultimately responsible for his actions regardless of his stupidity. No poker run organizer is responsible if I hurt myself or someone else on a poker run. Any effort to spread the blame is just lawyer bullchit. NK
Old 11-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
This article was only published after being sent to guys like Stu Jones, Billy Frenz and ten more for their input before it was published. We didn't do this lightly because if Poker Runs go away, so does EBM. We want to secure our future.

The meeting is open to any and all Poker Run producers. If you would like to attend, please email me [email protected], I'll add you to the list.
Just to set the record straight

This was not the first performance boat for the driver of the OL that was involved in the accident at our event, and this was NOT his first time in a poker run with this boat!

It wasn’t until we saw the article in EBM that we even knew about its existence. It seemed the article was shared with all primary poker run promoters but us, the guys who put on SOTW . No one owes us a look see at their article, but I think it is highly interesting that this accident happened at our event yet know one invited us to this poker run summit in Miami until we initiated a dialog with Ron P through e mail.

In contrast if you go further into the magazine (Page 78) the editorial by Marilyn DeMartini about SOTW was well written and covered the event and the accident in a much more objective prospective

EBM is a great magazine and we support Ron’s freedom to state his feelings and I have addressed my specific issues about his article in a private email to him

Let’s remember the goal is to have safe events for many years to come and we are committed to doing just that.

We as Poker Run promoters have, and will, continue to try to improve all aspects of our events especially safety

We at SOTW will never forget the two men who perished at our event this year and we know the memory of Mike and Johnny will be the inspiration to make sure we continue to put on safe events

Let’s not forget two men survived this terrible accident in some part because they were wearing their life jackets

Marc
Old 11-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that continue to ask the question Will there be a Smoke On The Water poker Run next year? the answer is a resounding YES
July 7th and 8th 2006 and we are putting on a second event " The Blue Water Thunder Poker Run" July 28th and 29th in Port Huron, Michigan
Attached Thumbnails Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article-mag-ad-finished-reduced.jpg  

Quick Reply: Extreme Boats Magazine Poker Run Article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.