Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   27' Magnum Stolen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116295-27-magnum-stolen.html)

FLYWITHME 11-12-2005 11:36 AM

27' Magnum Stolen

In Mt. Clemens Michigan there was a guy who popped a mold off a 27' Magnum, put singles in them and built 25 in one year. This was in the late 70's. Then Magnums people and the Feds came and confiscated all of his tooling and molds. I have'nt seen one since, can't remember what he called them, and wondered if anyone ever saw one or knows anything about them.

el indio 11-12-2005 03:33 PM

Re: 27' Magnum Stolen

a guy in chi had one miami vice paint.........he told me it was a saber....m.m.....roy was his name..........

Lee 11-12-2005 04:45 PM

They were called Lancer, built by Jim klym who also built Aero, Predator and Awesome cats. As far as the 27' Lancer molds they are still available for production, If you want a new one built with the latest hi-tek materials send me a PM and I will put you in contact with the builder.

FLYWITHME 11-12-2005 06:34 PM

Thanks for your response to my qwery. Yes, I would very much like to talk to the builder on getting one. I'm suprised he still has the molds, as I talked to him personally, back then. At that time he was building a motorhome in his backyard. Said Magnum and the Feds came and took his molds just a few weeks before. It does'nt matter to me either way. If he still has them, that's great. Maybee Magnum didn't have the right to take them in the first place. Bentley didn't sue Chrysler because the Chrysler 300 is almost a carbon copy of their car. Tony

Lee 11-12-2005 06:39 PM

He does not have them, somebody else does.

ROTAX454 11-12-2005 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by FLYWITHME
Thanks for your response to my qwery. Yes, I would very much like to talk to the builder on getting one. I'm suprised he still has the molds, as I talked to him personally, back then. At that time he was building a motorhome in his backyard. Said Magnum and the Feds came and took his molds just a few weeks before. It does'nt matter to me either way. If he still has them, that's great. Maybee Magnum didn't have the right to take them in the first place. Bentley didn't sue Chrysler because the Chrysler 300 is almost a carbon copy of their car. Tony

You wrote, "almost a carbon copy". Well, when you pull a mold from a boat manufacturer's hull, that is an exact copy of THEIR design. Unless you alter the mold, any hull that is manufactured from that mold, and then used to complete that boat and finally sold, may very well be in violation of state and/or federal law/laws. Perhaps regardless of any design copyright or patent. At a minimum, very unethical business practice.

el indio 11-12-2005 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
You wrote, "almost a carbon copy". Well, when you pull a mold from a boat manufacturer's hull, that is an exact copy of THEIR design. Unless you alter the mold, any hull that is manufactured from that mold, and then used to complete that boat and finally sold, may very well be in violation of state and/or federal law/laws. Perhaps regardless of any design copyright or patent. At a minimum, very unethical business practice.

I heard you must make 5 changes to the pattern..........mark.....

Payton 11-13-2005 07:43 AM

el indio, let's make a copy of your boat. I bet that's never been done. :rolleyes: 5 changes would be easy. :drink: a couple of cup holds, maybe a cool in the floor. Hmm, only 2 more.... :evilb: :D

FLYWITHME 11-13-2005 10:11 PM

misquoted

:( :( :( :( :(

Originally Posted by ROTAX454

I can't figure out where you got the words from, but if you take the time to read my post again, you'll see that it doesn't have any similarity to what you wrote. I said " a guy popped a mold". How do you come up with me saying "almost a carbon copy"??? Where did you get those words from? Furthermore, what's with all the legalities? Who's talking about copying anything and selling them?

el indio 11-14-2005 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Payton
el indio, let's make a copy of your boat. I bet that's never been done. :rolleyes: 5 changes would be easy. :drink: a couple of cup holds, maybe a cool in the floor. Hmm, only 2 more.... :evilb: :D

thed allen blew 5 million.......never finnished a boat.........must be geronomos revenge.........building a boat would be the easy part.........then go sell them......and i didnt say sail them........i said sell...........wrote a little song about it want to hear it goes like this bump bump bump another one bites the dust..........magnum mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.B.R.T..........retired........m.m.....