Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   27' Magnum Stolen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116295-27-magnum-stolen.html)

FLYWITHME 11-12-2005 11:36 AM

27' Magnum Stolen

In Mt. Clemens Michigan there was a guy who popped a mold off a 27' Magnum, put singles in them and built 25 in one year. This was in the late 70's. Then Magnums people and the Feds came and confiscated all of his tooling and molds. I have'nt seen one since, can't remember what he called them, and wondered if anyone ever saw one or knows anything about them.

el indio 11-12-2005 03:33 PM

Re: 27' Magnum Stolen

a guy in chi had one miami vice paint.........he told me it was a saber....m.m.....roy was his name..........

Lee 11-12-2005 04:45 PM

They were called Lancer, built by Jim klym who also built Aero, Predator and Awesome cats. As far as the 27' Lancer molds they are still available for production, If you want a new one built with the latest hi-tek materials send me a PM and I will put you in contact with the builder.

FLYWITHME 11-12-2005 06:34 PM

Thanks for your response to my qwery. Yes, I would very much like to talk to the builder on getting one. I'm suprised he still has the molds, as I talked to him personally, back then. At that time he was building a motorhome in his backyard. Said Magnum and the Feds came and took his molds just a few weeks before. It does'nt matter to me either way. If he still has them, that's great. Maybee Magnum didn't have the right to take them in the first place. Bentley didn't sue Chrysler because the Chrysler 300 is almost a carbon copy of their car. Tony

Lee 11-12-2005 06:39 PM

He does not have them, somebody else does.

ROTAX454 11-12-2005 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by FLYWITHME
Thanks for your response to my qwery. Yes, I would very much like to talk to the builder on getting one. I'm suprised he still has the molds, as I talked to him personally, back then. At that time he was building a motorhome in his backyard. Said Magnum and the Feds came and took his molds just a few weeks before. It does'nt matter to me either way. If he still has them, that's great. Maybee Magnum didn't have the right to take them in the first place. Bentley didn't sue Chrysler because the Chrysler 300 is almost a carbon copy of their car. Tony

You wrote, "almost a carbon copy". Well, when you pull a mold from a boat manufacturer's hull, that is an exact copy of THEIR design. Unless you alter the mold, any hull that is manufactured from that mold, and then used to complete that boat and finally sold, may very well be in violation of state and/or federal law/laws. Perhaps regardless of any design copyright or patent. At a minimum, very unethical business practice.

el indio 11-12-2005 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
You wrote, "almost a carbon copy". Well, when you pull a mold from a boat manufacturer's hull, that is an exact copy of THEIR design. Unless you alter the mold, any hull that is manufactured from that mold, and then used to complete that boat and finally sold, may very well be in violation of state and/or federal law/laws. Perhaps regardless of any design copyright or patent. At a minimum, very unethical business practice.

I heard you must make 5 changes to the pattern..........mark.....

Payton 11-13-2005 07:43 AM

el indio, let's make a copy of your boat. I bet that's never been done. :rolleyes: 5 changes would be easy. :drink: a couple of cup holds, maybe a cool in the floor. Hmm, only 2 more.... :evilb: :D

FLYWITHME 11-13-2005 10:11 PM

misquoted

:( :( :( :( :(

I can't figure out where you got the words from, but if you take the time to read my post again, you'll see that it doesn't have any similarity to what you wrote. I said " a guy popped a mold". How do you come up with me saying "almost a carbon copy"??? Where did you get those words from? Furthermore, what's with all the legalities? Who's talking about copying anything and selling them?

el indio 11-14-2005 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Payton
el indio, let's make a copy of your boat. I bet that's never been done. :rolleyes: 5 changes would be easy. :drink: a couple of cup holds, maybe a cool in the floor. Hmm, only 2 more.... :evilb: :D

thed allen blew 5 million.......never finnished a boat.........must be geronomos revenge.........building a boat would be the easy part.........then go sell them......and i didnt say sail them........i said sell...........wrote a little song about it want to hear it goes like this bump bump bump another one bites the dust..........magnum mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.B.R.T..........retired........m.m.....

FLYWITHME 11-14-2005 01:58 PM

I'm interested in your views and comments, however I can't read PIGLATIN very well. How about regular ENGLISH, so we can all understand what you're trying to say! Skip the short forms and letters that don't mean anything to most of us. :rolleyes:

Roger 1 11-14-2005 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Payton

A coast guard approved disco ball and a blender.... :D

FLYWITHME 11-14-2005 02:26 PM

I didn't say that the Chrysler 300 was an exact copy of the Bently, I said it is "almost a carbon copy". BIG DIFFERENCE! If you stuck Bently emblems on a 300 you could probably fool most people that have never owned a Bently. Lancer DID build a "CARBON COPY" of a 27' Magnum. Except for the single engine NOBODY could tell the difference NOT EVEN MAGNUM MARINE. Anyway you look at it, he made a lot of money, regardless of wheither Magnum scooped the molds or not. Someone's got them. Who, where, knowbody seems to know. If they do there're not telling. Anyway, Magnum doesn't make the 27's anymore. Been about 25 years now. They were supposed to build a 35th anniversery model in 03, but it never happened. Katrinas too buizy making millions in Europe with the bigger boats, ($6 million for a 63' Magnum)

Chris Sunkin 11-14-2005 02:39 PM

I'm interested in your views and comments, however I can't read PIGLATIN very well. How about regular ENGLISH, so we can all understand what you're trying to say! Skip the short forms and letters that don't mean anything to most of us. :rolleyes:

There's an unwritten OSO rule- If you are someone with vast experience and knowledge and are willing to share it freely, then you can write it in any fashion or language you wish.

FLYWITHME 11-14-2005 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
There's an unwritten OSO rule- If you are someone with vast experience and knowledge and are willing to share it freely, then you can write it in any fashion or language you wish.

I'm not aware of any OSO members with vast experience and knowledge that went to PIGLATIN SCHOOL. All the ones that I'm familiar with speak ENGLISH. Anyway, you don't appear to know anything about 27' Magnums, Patent or Design Laws. But then again, prove me wrong. Enlighten me. And furthermore, there are no unwritten OSO rules. Ask the great moderators that work hard everyday, to make sure everyone understands what we're trying to say, you don't have to take my word for it, take their's.

Chris Sunkin 11-14-2005 05:55 PM

I'm not aware of any OSO members with vast experience and knowledge that went to PIGLATIN SCHOOL. All the ones that I'm familiar with speak ENGLISH. Anyway, you don't appear to know anything about 27' Magnums, Patent or Design Laws. But then again, prove me wrong. Enlighten me. And furthermore, there are no unwritten OSO rules. Ask the great moderators that work hard everyday, to make sure everyone understands what we're trying to say, you don't have to take my word for it, take their's.

1. lighten up

2. where did I say anything about knowing anything about magnums or patents?

3. lighten up.

4. if you don't like or agree with what someone posts, don't read it. We won't be hurt.

5. Mark forgot more than you'll ever know about this sport so quit your wet-diaper whining about how he posts.

6. You obviously have some self-esteem issues, coupled with a lack of a sense of humor with a short fuse added in for good measure.

7. You apparently have no idea what pig Latin is.

8. Cheap-assed BASIC members get what they get and should be thankful.

There. You've been enlightened. Your welcome.

SeaRay Jim 11-14-2005 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
1. lighten up

2. where did I say anything about knowing anything about magnums or patents?

3. lighten up.

4. if you don't like or agree with what someone posts, don't read it. We won't be hurt.

5. Mark forgot more than you'll ever know about this sport so quit your wet-diaper whining about how he posts.

6. You obviously have some self-esteem issues, coupled with a lack of a sense of humor with a short fuse added in for good measure.

7. You apparently have no idea what pig Latin is.

8. Cheap-assed BASIC members get what they get and should be thankful.

There. You've been enlightened. Your welcome.

:D You forgot, Lighten up! Other than that, you covered it well! :evilb:

FLYWITHME 11-14-2005 08:21 PM

Thank you, that was enlightening.

But I'm not sure everyone has your sense of humour. But tell me, why should cheap-assed BASIC members be treated any different then well-heeld members? And what do well-heeld members get that cheap-ass BASIC members don't get...besides a free T-shirt.

All members should be treated equal, regardless of the size of their pocketbooks.

Chris Sunkin 11-14-2005 09:01 PM

Thank you, that was enlightening.

But I'm not sure everyone has your sense of humour. But tell me, why should cheap-assed BASIC members be treated any different then well-heeld members? And what do well-heeld members get that cheap-ass BASIC members don't get...besides a free T-shirt.

All members should be treated equal, regardless of the size of their pocketbooks.

I suppose that since you have only been here a month you could have been afforded a little more slack. You're right about my sense of humor-Around here I'd be one of the tight-a$$es.

What do Gold and Platinum members get? Aside from the prestige of having spent more for about the same thing you get nothing. Cool, huh?

This is a fun place where people come to enjoy themselves, blow off steam and generally forget their "issues". If you haven't read many posts you may be astonished to find that offshore powerboaters and racers are "charachters", sometimes in the grandest sense of the word. You're also going to find there's alot of inside jokes, stories, history, etc. that no one is going to explain to you. You would have had to live in North Miami since the late 60's to know everything that's written about on this board- often in shorthand.

As far as your original gripe. Magnum Mark (el indio) posts the way he does- always has. Probably not going to change for you, me or anyone else. Why should he? If you want to post in Sanskrit, I have the choice of ignoring you or making the effort to translate. In MM's case, it's not that tough to understand. Unless you don't know the background- then all the full sentences in the world aren't going to help.

There's only one piece of advice I can offer to you- this is an easy, fun place for a get-along guy and a difficult, un-fun place for someone thin-skinned, argumentative or difficult. Alot like being a nerdy guy in a frat house.

Welcome to OSO- hope you find what you're looking for here and have lots of fun in the process.

FLYWITHME 11-14-2005 10:02 PM

VERY WELL SAID. Thankyou very much, Tony

Dregsz 11-15-2005 05:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, We do get to see the cool pics of our boats. =P

mr_velocity 11-15-2005 06:12 AM

. Anyway, Magnum doesn't make the 27's anymore. Been about 25 years now. They were supposed to build a 35th anniversery model in 03, but it never happened. Katrinas too buizy making millions in Europe with the bigger boats, ($6 million for a 63' Magnum)

Wow, I talked to them last year and they said they would "dust off the mold and build me one." The 27 also shows up on their web site as a fish boat.

el indio 11-15-2005 07:17 AM

just to let you know,it took 35 years to go from a 27 sport to a 41 apache..........mark.....with 2 cigs. and a malteese in between.......m.m.....

Stormrider 11-15-2005 07:29 AM

Anyway, Magnum doesn't make the 27's anymore. Been about 25 years now.

Magnum made the 27 about 15yrs ago as a CC.
And El Indo had a 27magnum back in 67-68.
Mark, what year did you graduate HS?

el indio 11-15-2005 07:40 AM

1969 hewlett high school...........hewlett, n.y........mark........getting a little crowded around here!!!!!!!!adios.

BROWNIE 11-15-2005 08:39 AM

I was Chief Engineer at Magnum '77 thru '80. Never heard of this guy.

el indio 11-15-2005 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I was Chief Engineer at Magnum '77 thru '80. Never heard of this guy.

which guy? I remember you at rumrunner bay with fat paul and regis......drinking under the pic. of the magnum with 3 differant outboards.........my sport came from venice marine lindenhurst n.y.1969.....never really dealt with you Brownie.But i was pretty tight with Danny Dorough.also bought 3 of your medals.1 of each color.........Must of been there somewhere....cya..........m.m.........p.s......I was close to the guys at champion boats........mark.......Remember dannys muaturd yellow 36 cig. with the side exhaust?me neither.........cyaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!m.m.....p.s.... ..remember when rumrunner bay was louies chineese rest.........mark.....

magnuman 11-15-2005 10:43 AM

I spoke with Richie Powers a few years back when he was still with Magnum. He said they would build anyone a 27 if they came up with the money. He also sent me current pricing for the base boat, and all options/engine combinations that they would build.

Chris Sunkin 11-15-2005 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by magnuman
I spoke with Richie Powers a few years back when he was still with Magnum. He said they would build anyone a 27 if they came up with the money. He also sent me current pricing for the base boat, and all options/engine combinations that they would build.

I'll bet that number would make current Cigarette list prices look like bargains!

They're pretty proud of them there Magnums.

magnuman 11-15-2005 12:50 PM

The cost of the 27 loaded was close to $200,000.
It made me feel not so bad putting $100K + into mine. :crazy:

I can scan the pages if anyone is interested.

PurpleStuff 11-15-2005 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=FLYWITHME]I didn't say that the Chrysler 300 was an exact copy of the Bently, I said it is "almost a carbon copy". BIG DIFFERENCE! If you stuck Bently emblems on a 300 you could probably fool most people that have never owned a Bently.

Not to "high-jack," but I have not ever seen a BentlEy that looked anything like any Chrysler that has been or every will be built.... Ciggauurrr boats.... BIG DIFFERENCE!

Chris Sunkin 11-15-2005 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by magnuman
The cost of the 27 loaded was close to $200,000.
It made me feel not so bad putting $100K + into mine. :crazy:

I can scan the pages if anyone is interested.

Considering it's a Magnum, that doesn't sound as bad as I would have thought. I'm sure it would be a work of art.

That reminds me of an old California boat company called Schiada. They made some incredible smaller boats- unbelievable workmanship and detail. $$$ though.

magnuman 11-16-2005 12:51 AM

Schiada is still alive and well and producing awesome boats.

el indio 11-16-2005 08:20 AM

shiada had a thirty something racing in the early 80s............

lucy 11-16-2005 12:22 PM

stop typing, pack your bags and all your gear, get out of that snow cold weather!! see you Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

el indio 11-16-2005 01:08 PM

"twinklefingers".............................. .