Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Crazy Tom's question about performance boating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116405-crazy-toms-question-about-performance-boating.html)

Tom 11-14-2005 12:19 AM

Crazy Tom's question about performance boating

I bought my batboat because I wanted to drive a performance boat within the limits of safety but still have the thrill of offshore racing. Every time I drive it I go out with the sole intent of having that thrill. Secondary to that, I found that I also enjoy the response I get from those who love the way it looks and the people who gather around it everywhere I go. I understand the fun it is to have people oogle over my boat, but didn't we all buy performance boats because we wanted the thrill of driving them?

Then why do so many people spend hundreds of thousands on a high performance boat and cruise at speeds that are achievable in non-performance boats only to lift the engine hatch and sit at the dock all day?

I am not looking for a fight. As a matter of fact I am bipolar and can't even handle one. I just have thought about it for many years and want to hear a discussion about my observation.

CBR 11-14-2005 01:39 AM

Re: Crazy Tom's question about performance boating

Some of us got tired of breaking open fuel tanks, busted drives and blown engines. Slower means things last longer. <gg>

Iggy 11-14-2005 04:48 AM

Why drive it like you stole it? All you're doing is beating it to death.
You take anything mechanical and run it at full capacity, throttle, etc. and it'll cost you a bundle to maintain.
People buy Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Porsche's, Corvette's all of which are capable of triple digit speeds. But you don't see the owners tearing up the highways. Besides the fact of it being illegal, it's also gets quite expensive. I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money on a purchase just to blow it up.
One other point.....a boat traveling at 80+ mph is dangerous. All it takes if for one idiot on a PWC, a bass boat, sail boat, row boat, to get in your path and it's over. Traveling at those speeds you can not make any sudden moves or changes in course. You're just an accident waiting to happen.

ratman 11-14-2005 05:48 AM

is this the pansies thread? :evilb: shouldn't you log on to cruisers.com? suck it up boys...get bigger drives, get spare engines, get a second job for gas money...f the jet skiers

ThirdBird 11-14-2005 05:55 AM

I guess I'm a "pansy". I bought my boat more to handle the rough stuff with ease than to blast off all the time (of course, my old bird is no speedster anyway). But, we really just wanted to be able to go out in almost anything and get a good ride out of it. We blast off once in a while. I like it that way just fine. :p

Airpacker 11-14-2005 06:47 AM

I dunno Tom. I bought a cat for the sole purpose of running it hard and fast. I have been told I have a two position throttle. Dock and Drive :)

LostinBoston 11-14-2005 09:39 AM

NO one i take on board with me can handle going fast and the stress ont he body that goes with it, so i have to keep it slow (<80). When im on my own i try to open it up more. Most people just enjoy being on the water, but like the idea that if they want to, they can open it up and get some speed, but 90% of the time, they just wanna cruise around, or look cool.

el indio 11-14-2005 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
is this the pansies thread? :evilb: shouldn't you log on to cruisers.com? suck it up boys...get bigger drives, get spare engines, get a second job for gas money...f the jet skiers

sounds like a plan

Tom 11-14-2005 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
NO one i take on board with me can handle going fast and the stress ont he body that goes with it, so i have to keep it slow (<80). When im on my own i try to open it up more. Most people just enjoy being on the water, but like the idea that if they want to, they can open it up and get some speed, but 90% of the time, they just wanna cruise around, or look cool.

Maybe that's whe nobody ever goes for a second ride with me :-) They do talk about the first ride for the rest of their life though.

I drive all the time away from everyone else in 3 - 4 footers at 80 - 90. That way it is stil in the safe range, nobody else is around to cut in front of me, and I still have power to spare if I need it. In two footers I drive WOT at 100. I run ferry wakes in the mid 90s because there are only three of them and the first one makes me fly right over the other two. I refuse to go out in less than 2 footers becaue it is like driving down the highway even at 100 because of the cockpit.

I too am sick of breaking things all the time, but I would rather the boat sit in the garage than have it be no fun on the water. I just figure it costs $500 an hour to run it and even though I can no longer afford it and have to limit my outings, it is worth it. If I could afford a $1,000,000 boat (which I can't) than I should be able to afford maintenance, yet people with $1,000,000 boats park them at the dock and rarely drive them hard.

Speaking of 'drive it like you stole it', I don't understand why someone buys a ferrari and puts $1,500 miles on it in ten years. If I can't afford a ferrari I would rather buy a Lotus Elise and have the fun of driving a car that handles almost as well if not better. After my third penis enlargment cut off all sensation I wish I had a less impressive tool that was fun to drive. :-)

The feedback so far makes sense. At leaset now when I see it I can imagine one of the reasons given.

el indio 11-14-2005 12:58 PM

ITS ALL ABOUT THE THRILL OF THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!mark.........