Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need advice on sonics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/116533-need-advice-sonics.html)

hugetime1 11-15-2005 09:33 PM

Need advice on sonics

Looked at some 31ss sonics, are they good boats, how do they handle the rough water? would I have to worry about breaking one of these. etc????

Sydwayz 11-15-2005 09:52 PM

Re: Need advice on sonics

What year? They are VERY VERY solid boats. The pre-2003 boats ride like a tank. In 2003, Sonic started the vacuum bagging 'Infusion' process, and a few boats had a few issues, but nothing that cracked them in half. You won't be the fastest boat out there with like power, as compared to a 35 Fountain (:D)/32 Sunsation, etc., as all Sonics have deep, straight, solid V-hulls (no steps ever). However, you will find a 31SS to be a GREAT boat, with a big cabin, wave crushing-comfortable, runs great with twin BBC power, and is not so heavy to be a Bravo eater. You will find a lot with 496 Mags/HOs, 502 Mags, 500EFIs, and a few with 525EFIs. The 31 is the most popular boat sold by Sonic. Now that the company has changed owners with management that wants to build boats, Sonic will be coming back stronger (and with new updates) in the next couple years.

If you are in the market for this boat however, you ought to take a look at the 32 Active Thunder. They are slightly larger (Sonic 31SS counts the swim platform/32AT is 32'-ish to the transom), and definately faster (if you are in a step-bottom AT) with like power. The new 33 Active Thunder should be in the water by the 2006 Miami Boat Show timeframe as well.

Edward R. Cozzi 11-15-2005 09:57 PM

I worked for Sonic in 1995 as the factory sales rep.
The boats are made very well and they use good ingredients. The 31' has a rounded keel like the 26', as they were splashed from the Donzi/Performer boats. They are three piece: hull, innerliner and deck and have a solid fiberglass bottom with cored hullsides and bulkheads. The hull and deck are glassed together at the rubrail and the voids are filled with foam for strength and quiet.
Every fuel tank is pressure checked before being installed. The electrical rigging is first-rate. As far as steering: they went to dual cable Mercruiser in the early 1990s as the single cable became sloppy early in the boats life.
Hydraulic is the preferred set-up.
The plywood in the bolsters is seal coated and seems to last pretty long. The later models have Starboard instead of wood. Jay Ross gave me one of the best boatrides I ever had in a 31' with a pair of HP500s.

If you have any specific questions I have not covered, just post and if I don't know, I know who to ask.
Ed

hugetime1 11-15-2005 10:06 PM

quality wise, how would this compare to my 26' hustler

Edward R. Cozzi 11-15-2005 10:33 PM

I rate them pretty close with Hustler getting slightly higher marks.

Loan Ranger 11-16-2005 08:19 AM

Huge,
I am 2 hours north of you in Palm Harbor. You are welcome to come go through my boat ('05 31SS) if you wish. http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-5081.html

CigDaze 11-16-2005 08:33 AM

Not the fastest, but very well built, solid boats, handle rough water well and they're known for their roominess.

hugetime1 11-16-2005 11:46 AM

I guess what I really want to know, can I go out and hammer the piss out of this thing poker run after poker run with out any problems, I am not a big fan of all the extras like the tv, dvd, tolit, etc. these are all things that can break. does this boat fly nice and flat when you are hammering through 5'-6' seas.

Loan Ranger 11-16-2005 01:20 PM

I ran fast in 2-4's in the OPBA Labor Day run very comfortably but honestly have not run hard in 5-6's. I wasn't looking for cabin extras as well and therefore elected to skip the electric head, A/C, DVD, etc... and spend my upgrade dollars in the motors and drives.

Sydwayz 11-16-2005 01:30 PM

I would feel confident whaling on the boat in 2-4's. If you want to get out in 5-6's regularly; I think the boat can handle it, but you will be more comfortable in a 35'+ boat. If you are going to rip hard in 5-6's, you are going to blow up any Bravo style drive; in any boat.