Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hauling wide load boat, permit issues? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117408-hauling-wide-load-boat-permit-issues.html)

Brad Zastrow 11-29-2005 01:34 PM

Hauling wide load boat, permit issues?

I am towing my 10'6" MTI from Chicago to Miami. I have pulled permits for Ill, Ind, TN, KY and FL. Georgia was such a pain with ins on record I am not bothering. Towing on weekends and nights is a forbidden in almost all states. Since this is a boat used on weekends, will I get stopped? How is Georgia for my trip through the state in the next few days? I see racers towing on weekends all the time. What is the reality of towing wide loads?

WARPARTY36 11-29-2005 01:40 PM

Re: Hauling wide load boat, permit issues?

They haven't stopped me nights or weekends in Ga. or any other state, but I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky!!! At least so far :( If towing after dark, I would remove the oversize signs.

Just travel with a 12' wide Nor-Tech or Skater, and your boat will look skinny :drink:

RHC 11-29-2005 01:45 PM

Brad,,, Any Cop any where can give ya the ticket ,, its just a matter of you pissem off,,, be the nice guy ,,, act dumb and tell them that you called the state and they said you did not need a permit with the pleasure boat ,,,, no ,, you dont know how wide it is "" about the same as the big trucks , I think""
then quit,,,, the cop will tell you at that Point :D

RHC

Serious ,,, may friend pulled a 33 Elimator that way for 3 yrs and only got stopped twice ,, they let him go both times !

Brad Zastrow 11-29-2005 02:01 PM

So maybe do not travel with the flags, lights and banners? A trucker friend who pulls wide loads for a living said the paperwork is nightmare for the cops to pull you over. Private owners they tend to forgive according to him. He also said plead ignorance. But this advice from boat owners is exactly what I am looking for on OSO.

The Menace 11-29-2005 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
So maybe do not travel with the flags, lights and banners? A trucker friend who pulls wide loads for a living said the paperwork is nightmare for the cops to pull you over. Private owners they tend to forgive according to him. He also said plead ignorance. .

Evrything you said is true. There is a service you can call that for a small fee will coorindate all the permits. I do not have the info on this computer but somebody has to have it.

Do not tow on weekends or holidays.

We have only got the permits once becasue the driver was nervous and still have not been stopped.

SLINGSHOT 11-29-2005 02:15 PM

I Think It Is Transciever Network Or Something

t500hps 11-29-2005 02:16 PM

I've hauled several Searays (10 ft 6 beams) from Ft Lauderdale to VA and another from Cleveland to VA. (We bypassed the expressway through PA though). Haven't been stopped yet, but these were widest at the rub rail that was 8-9 ft off the ground.

bgchuby01 11-29-2005 02:20 PM

I pull wide loads all the time. If you are pulling with a pickup truck you will look like a personal boat. Just go and don't stop at the scales. I drive by them all of the time and have never been stopped. The only time you will have a problem on the weekend is if a DOT cop sees you cause they know the rules. As far as night time keep your sign up. The last thing you need is someone hitting you because you don't have a sign up. I tow 46' skaters that are 12.2 wide nights and weekends and have no problem. just drive smart

MARK BENTLEY 11-29-2005 02:54 PM

I use Jet Permit Service.

Brad Zastrow 11-29-2005 02:56 PM

Wow, this forum never ceases to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge. I did pull my permits from a service. I will make the run with less fear. Thank you.