Notices

Another Fountain question

Old 11-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Fountain question

I am interested in a used 38' Fountain in the early to mid 90's. Since the only 38' made in those years was a Fever, I am considering one. I prefer the Lightning but I was wondering what the difference was between the two. The only thing I can see is the windshield is different and the Fever seems to have a wider cockpit area. It looks wider because the sides go out to the edge where the Lightning has the air intake grate. Just my observation but I would think there is more difference for Fountain to create a different model. The 42' lightning may be overkill for the type of water I'll be running in so that's why the 38' choice. Just wondering what the overall feeling was on the two models.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Another Fountain question

I sold new and used Fountains for those years you mentioned.

The Lightning was a more popular model because you do not have to step over the windshield or faring to get to the foredeck. Many Fever windshields have been damaged by people falling on them. Some early Fevers had fuel tank failures, so make sure your surveyor has a good sense of smell. Fountains are very fast boats and with the stepped hulls are not as forgiving as the earlier non-step hulls. Learn how to trim your Fountain, or any boat for that matter, properly for the water conditions.
Fountains have a reputation for being wet boats in rough water, but as you gain experience you will learn how to drive around this "weakness".

Many Fountains of the era you mentioned were laid-up in red gelcoat. Most have had their decks repainted with Imron. Fading was a big problem, especially here in South Florida.

Hope this info helps. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another Fountain question

The walk around as mentioned above. Try this in the Fountain forum, there is several here with the older 38 Fevers. Enjoy, you'll love the boat.