Notices

Who has stuffed a boat?

Old 11-14-2001, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have had a number of mini stuffs, sponson stuffs etc. in a race boat, including skid stuffs enough to roll a 36' Skater, but the post on Manasquan Inlet reminded me of a very memorable one. This, i believe, proves you can stuff anything.
I was coming out of Manasquan on a bad day in a 43' Hatteras and there was one 10 - 12 footer that was essentially a standing hydraulic jump at the mouth of the inlet. This occurs where the water get shallow off of the ocean, frequently with incoming waves and outgoing tide. One wave, no big deal right? The Hat stuffed so badly with so much blue water over the deck it washed right over the windshield and ripped the bimini off of the flybridge! How the widnshield wasn't broken i'll never know. Needless to say i turned around (i was solo) to "play" another day.
Ted Z.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Inlet sure can be fun!!...the May SBI race always seems to get it the worst (best?)..the boats stand up so straight, you can see what shoes the guys are wearing!!

Old 11-14-2001, 01:57 PM
Registered

Talking

The inlet story sounds like my experience this summer. It wasn't really me stuffing the boat, but a wave engulfing me.

It happend as I was coming home after dinner at nice little place down off the bay (read we were all decently dressed up). Anyhow, we were motoring out of a shallow channel into the Bay proper when a ship wake just stands up in front of us and curls over. I yell 'DUCK!!!' just as time slows down and everything goes into slow motion. About 10 minutes later, about a million gallons of green water crashes over the windshield creating a small wet t-shirt contest in my cockpit. I took it that my guests were not a happy bunch during the ride back to my home marina as their searing glances dried the back of my shirt 30 minutes before the rest of me.

Sean
Old 11-14-2001, 02:07 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched a 47' Apache dissappear in Gov't Cut inlet in Miami
Old 11-14-2001, 02:16 PM
DYTMAGIC

I stuffed a 34' Magic right into a cliff @ 60 mph at Lake Havasu a little over 3 years ago. Does that count. It was at night, I fell asleep behind the wheel. Only blew a .04, so it was not alcohol. Very luck to be alive.

Old 11-14-2001, 02:31 PM
HavasuCat

Dytmagic,

I saw pictures of that, pretty amazing to see a 34' boat sitting on the side of a bank completely out of the water.

Old 11-14-2001, 02:45 PM
Registered

OK, here's my Stuff story:

Me and some other boats were running to the Chesapeake Inn for the day. It's about an hour trip to the Canal, then we usually race through the canal. I was by myself in my boat (253 Checkmate) racing a buddy in his 29' Fountain. We came up upon a 50' cruiser and the fountain passed him starboard, and i went port. Meanwhile another 45' had passed going the opposite direction on the side i chose to pass on. Well slowed down and hit the 50 footers' wave doing about 65mph. Great air, but i ended up landing on the 45 footers' wave that had passed. My bow stuffed and threw me out of my bolster into the passangers side windshield/bolster, and i ended up on the floor of the cockpit. I wasn't wearing my saftey tether(sp) cord When i stood up the boat was still running at about 45mph straight towards the rocks. I reached for the throttle, but it was not there...i ended up bending it down on a 90* angle when i was thrown. I quick turned the wheel and turned the key off. Luckily no one was hurt (except myself...bruised ribs and minor cuts) and the boat wasn't damaged (the throttle bent back). If someone would have been in the passengers bolster i may have put them through the windshield. Anyway valuble lesson learned: i now always wear my saftey kill switch.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:26 PM
Uncle Toys

Damn - you guys are scaring the hell out of me.......thanks!

Hey Jeffrey, how about a section where members tell their scary stories and we can all learn from them. If I remember correctly, Flying magazine has (or had) a monthly column called "I learned about flying from that time..."

Old 11-15-2001, 01:09 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOTO at the 14 mm on a Saturday afternoon in a 29 Scarab w/ 502efi.
Went flying off a cluster of crossing cruiser wakes at about 60mph. Got out of sync and stuffed hard. I ducked down just in time for the sky to turn blue/green for a moment from the sudden rush of water over the fairing. Then sunshine, quickly followed by a buttload of water rushing into the boat. Bilge pump ran for a few minutes, but no damage. Good thing I was alone.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:22 PM
Kent Perroux

18 Donzi Classic, Lake George (Forida) on a very windy day. Running parallel to the waves when a Boston whaler passed me. Nope, can't have that!! Running at approx 60 when a steering bolt broke just as I lauched off a wave. Full left in the air; nosed in hitting hard on the starboad side. Lots of water in the boat, lost a seat and a few heart beats, but otherwise no damage.

A few running in the gulf when the waves were higher than I could keep the nose. Brace hard and crash through with full throttle with a wall of water coming over the dash. Now I know why fairings are popular....

Quick Reply: Who has stuffed a boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.