check out powerquests most of them have windshields
and 8.5 beam not sure how many are in socal good luck
with your search
Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Outlaw 25 is it (I think), but gotta make the wife happy

How about a 21 Apache? Yea thats right I said "it"!!!

Look for a 25 Active Thunder.........great rough water boat!!! Windshield....you don't need no stinkin' windsheild!!

25 Outlaw is a nice boat....roomy and not bad in the snot!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on what you've given us for requirements, it sounds like the 25 Outlaw with a plexi venturi, ala newer Cigarettes. The cockpit depth of the Outlaw will provide far more protection(wind & visibility) than any lower profile windshield design in that size range.
Hugh
Old 12-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

25 Outlaw.......have One And It Is Great...lol And I Am Serious
Old 12-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the Baja 232 today. I was impressed. Understand, coming from a Bayliner 20', the difference in ride was unbelievable. My Bay would bob sideways on wakes in the harbor, let alone speed wakes. Then when in Long Beach harbor, tried to find a oil supertanker moving slow to do the better test. Found it, and the 232 cut right through. The boat is far more stable. You could acually see the deep V output on the transom wash, it looked like a cave down there compared to my Bayliner. I think you guys are on to something with this deadrise thing! The engine sucked though. 454 MPI (310hp) took the boat to 50mph. Dude has bottom paint on it, as it is always in the salt water. Bravo Outdrive/prop could not be seen because of all of the algae. I guess his bottom cleaner didn't come before I got there. Outdrive oil sensor sounded during test and his temp meter died. Went back to the dock. Guy was really embarrased. Since I wasn't going to buy the boat, as I will never buy a boat that has been wet slipped, I acted like it didn't bother me. But it was a great experience today, to give me ideas. I am still going to test drive all the other models in question, but I think I am on the right track for an upgrade. Size makes a BIG difference.

A couple of questions focusing on the 232:

Model years when they converted from wood to all fiberglass?

I thought the 454 MPI through hull was supposed to sound meaty. To me it sounded weak. Does the 454 mag, 502 mag, 496, and 496 HO sound different or do they all sound the same. Or maybe it is California muffler thing?

This boat was slow because of the growth on the bottom, but what mph can I expect if I find a 232 with the above engines?

As Chris288 and I talked about before, I am wondering if I could squeeze the 232 for my tow/storage situation. 4500lbs truck, 27' total with trailer. I am willing to find alternatives like I said before, but what a sales pitch to the wife if I could keep the truck and the storage space. Any opinions would be great.

Thanks again

Chris
Old 12-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know the exact speed you can hit. I know the guy at my marina that had the 232 with the 454 topped out in the mid 50s. He was slower than my old 240 sport. As for the sound. His sounded pretty mean when using the through hulls. But he had captains choice and that would keep it quiet. If the one you tested has through hulls only and did not soud too impressive, the seller has to have mufflers on it. Dont know what the regs are in Cali. Just keep this ride in mind when you test the 25 OL. Then get the checkbook out.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Don't sweat the meaty sound, BAJA puts these wimpy ass exhaust tips on some years and models, I am confident that the loud ones you have heard had the tips switched, it is a $200 switch.

Will
Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Registered

Had a 2000 232 with same power. Labed 23 mirage plus : 63 mph GPS

ALL Baja's are still balsa build. (Wood)
Some manufacturers started building boats without using wood. EX: Active thunder

Don't worry about wood, It's fully encapsulated. Baja, Sunsation uses wood as most of manufacturers. I think even CIGARETTE still uses wood

The 232 is more likely a 21' because of the swim platform.
I liked the ride of my 232. Just can't compare to my 25 outlaw. Almost 4' difference. The cabin in the 232 is small.

Still, I would strongly recommend buying a 252 or 272 instead of a 232. Best buy : 25 outlaw.
Stock 7.4 MPI is reliable.

Again, 232 is a good boat, a true 23 deg deep V and a solid ride. All size/budget considerations.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!