Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Alright, what do you have to do.......... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117573-alright-what-do-you-have-do.html)

BLee 12-01-2005 01:51 PM

Alright, what do you have to do..........

....to prove your boats top speed?

Back in the days of the liquid speedo there's no question these weren't accurate speedometers. Radar was about the only way to test your boats top speed which is difficult to do.

Now days with the GPS speedo's and mapping units there should be no debate over what boats run, right? Well, now I see a few folks saying they don't trust GPS speeds either.

So, what does it take to prove to the skeptics what a boat is capable of? I think most disagree with GPS just because they enjoy arguing, but some truly believe that these aren't telling the truth either.

What do you think is the most accurate way to find out a boats top speed?

onesickpantera 12-01-2005 01:56 PM

Re: Alright, what do you have to do..........

I think that GPS will have a "blip" once in a GREAT while but for the most part are very accurate.

When I had my blackhawk my max speed on my GPS read 80.2 mph once and I knew it was a "blip" so I sure didn't go around telling people my boat would run over 80. Only did it one time in 5 years.

So, GPS speeds are good enough for me! :D

DollaBill 12-01-2005 02:00 PM

Get that gay guy with no pants on from Key West to look at your GPS while you are driving this way there will be no mistaking the performance. Go ahead, you have his number.:)

offshoredrillin 12-01-2005 02:03 PM

marked off spots, go through it twice at full speed with a stop watch and take the 2 pass average. or take both speeds combine them and divide by 2. or same case with 2 passes and a radar gun....

hpoffshore 12-01-2005 02:08 PM

.....so does the person with his/her thumb on the stop-watch, want your boat to be faster or slower?
Hugh:)

BLee 12-01-2005 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
Get that gay guy with no pants on from Key West to look at your GPS while you are driving this way there will be no mistaking the performance. Go ahead, you have his number.:)

954-263-6049, how could I forget! :D :D :evilb:

offshoredrillin 12-01-2005 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
.....so does the person with his/her thumb on the stop-watch, want your boat to be faster or slower?
Hugh:)

lmao

CigDaze 12-01-2005 02:10 PM

The #1 most accurate way is a precisely measured course with precision timing equipment. #2 is GPS, provided that there is no current or wind present. Radar is a good sanity check in conjunction with GPS, however a land mounted radar is better than one carried on the boat due to operator error.

The standard seems to be GPS, for most folks.

WARPARTY36 12-01-2005 02:13 PM

I don't know much about boat GPS speedo's, but with the Garmin street pilot in the truck I never got over 85 and at some point the max speed had jumped to 171.4??? I would say that GPS is 99% accurate though.

hpoffshore 12-01-2005 02:13 PM

Sorry Rob, must be hangin' around w/ Old School too much.
Hugh