Notices

South Florida Trips

Old 11-22-2005, 08:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default South Florida Trips

As I ate breakfast at the Hilton in Key West Monday morning and enviously watched Brandon Lee, Randy Wild, Parnell, and an unidentified Baja heading out with there rigs, I couldn't resist the thought of hauling my rig down. While reading a map on the flight home I noticed Nassau Bahamas and other islands are not further than Lauderdale/Miami to Key West. Does anyone venture out to see to these destinations? I was thinking that would be a great trip too....
Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: South Florida Trips

never boated to the bahamas, but I know alot of people that do, it is only about 80 miles off shore. I did alot of boating on the west coast. there are alot of nice waterways, alot of places to stop, like ft myers beach, captiva, sarasota, etc....
Old 11-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is only 200 miles from Miami to Nassau, You just Island hop and get fuel along the way. The water is the best. I used to take my scarab to all of the islands back in the late 70's and early 80's before they had GPS or Loran. All you had was a compass. Easy trip. Just pre plan your stops.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im in if you do it, i know that the florida powerboat club has a bahamas run. Not sure when. I would like to go to atlantis by boat, they have a really nice marina.

really nice meeting you Neil

Randy - PS the run home was awsome some nice waves.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

Florida Powerboat Club is a good way to learn the basics of boating in the Keys and they do have a trip to the Bahamas.

This spring I went on 3 different runs. Good time, good people, good experience.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Bimini is like 57 miles off Ft Lauderdale. That is the closest island to the US and is a good first stop. FL Powerboat has a trip scheduled for July 2006. Usually can't go in winter because of rough water, summer is flat.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you go look for some square grouper along the way.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
As I ate breakfast at the Hilton in Key West Monday morning and enviously watched Brandon Lee, Randy Wild, Parnell, and an unidentified Baja heading out with there rigs, I couldn't resist the thought of hauling my rig down. While reading a map on the flight home I noticed Nassau Bahamas and other islands are not further than Lauderdale/Miami to Key West. Does anyone venture out to see to these destinations? I was thinking that would be a great trip too....
Bahamas is an awsome destination. I've been out there 5 or 6 times during the 1990's when I ran stock powered boats. First was in 91' with a 33' Fountain. Not been back since I started running this high perf stuff in 2001. High octane fuel is hard to come by.
I can tell you stories all day long about my adventures out there. FPC is a great way to get your first experience. They say summer is best as winds are lighter but all my crossings were in winter. Been to Bimini, Cat, Gun, Paradise, Nassau and ran the complete Eluthera chain. Crossing the Bahama Bank is the most beautiful water you will ever see. If you get the chance - do it!!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
That would be great! Like Randy said, Stu does a run down in the beginning of the Summer. The gulf stream is apparently extremely rough in the Winter months. Not a run you want to break something on. It's good to go over with someone very knowledgable due to the obvious water hazards but mainly pirates. There are some bad areas in the Bahamas.

Great seeing you this weekend!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
That would be great! Like Randy said, Stu does a run down in the beginning of the Summer. The gulf stream is apparently extremely rough in the Winter months. Not a run you want to break something on. It's good to go over with someone very knowledgable due to the obvious water hazards but mainly pirates. There are some bad areas in the Bahamas.

Great seeing you this weekend!
Pirates in the Bahamas???

Neil, 25 hors la loi and a bunch of guys from Quebec including JF Dubois (the new Sunsation Dealer) are planning a trip to the Keys in March. Depending of the weather, they may give a try and cross to the Bahamas.

Been dreaming about it though...I would feel more comfortable crossing the Gulf with a twin engine... From what I have read, I would also strongly recommend traveling there with experimented people.

Quick Reply: South Florida Trips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.