Notices

Open Ocean Racing

Old 12-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Open Ocean Racing

It's a catch 22 situation. Manufacturers don't want to spend money on racing because offshore racing isn't big and offshore racing isn't big because there aren't enough boats out there!

I appluad Fountain for the effort but the truth is from a spectator's view offshore racing has went backwards. The action and TV coverage was MUCH better 3-4 years ago.

I agree with thedonz that there was some big water at a few races this year, but unfortunately not enough boats(other than Super V) to make the racing exciting on television. Bottom line, without decent television coverage the sport will never grow. I have no idea if an long distance offshore race would help or not but like I said I would pay to see it on television if manufacturers got involved and the action was good.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a true offshore race would be great. The winner would not neccesarily be who had the fastest boat, but who was the toughest team that could hold out. That would show a true Diehard racer and a true offshore race boat. Not getting down on the boats today, cause there are alot of nice ones, but I would say half of them couldn't hold up like the boats of yesterday( CIG, APACHE, PANTERA. It would be great for SBI to squeeze a race from miami to bimini in this year.I agree with you offshoredrillin I think it would bring back what the true meaning of offshore racing means.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Banned

Today's racing is a joke compared to the old days. I don't know why anyone would worry about losing the fan base, hell, there isn't a fan base now. As much as I love boat racing, I've given up trying to follow it. I can't see John Q Public caring much for today's type of racing either. Even though I know a lot about most of these boats, I can't even tell who's racing who half the time.

Now, a race that you run what you brung for a couple hundred miles, that would be interesting, and a helluva lot easier to follow. Who cares if it goes back to checkbook racing, at least it was racing we could understand.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:29 PM
JnT
Registered

Open Ocean = Proving Ground
Race them in open ocean conditions and see if the Cigarettes are still as good as they used to be. See if an old Apache will still make the grade against a Saber or new Apache from Mcmanus.
I believe a race of this type would expose the wannabe, potato chip cored ,ultra lite layup, stepped lake boats and prove a true offshore hull's worth.
If an 06 Fountain 47 kicks an old Cigs a$$ so be it. Reggie proved he ain't playing and his boat is showing it.
If an old pantera with outboards whips Reggies butt fine.
I strongly believe a race of this type would be great for choosing engine builders,reliability would be the winning equation.
For outboards did the Verado or Etec prove which is more reliable?

As you can see I would love to see one open ocean race per year. TV has changed. Lots of interest in motorsports these days.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep I agree a one time race every year would be great! But I would like to see some "Factory" type racing as well as an open, run what ya brung class. I've always liked the Factory racing because of the equality of the powerplants. Then it's may the best boat, driver and throttleman win!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was plenty of press coverage in the late 80s and early 90s when Don Johnson, Chuck Norris, Kurt Russell and other notables were racing.
As soon as these guys quit, the coverage went back to normal.

(There were more babe spectators around when those guys were racing.)
Old 12-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know nothing about marketing or advertising but i would love to see a long distance ocean race once a year. Isnt there atleast 20 guys with really big wallets that would do it just for the hell of it.? It would somehow get coverage i bet..a special on speedvision or spike channel,etc etc. Ok..hell ill say it cuz ive had a few beers..can we have some high profile nascar guys be involved (they could ride along and work a fake set of throttles? or read the gps and say good old boy type stuff on intercom?)
Old 12-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered

instead of running most race coarses up and down the beach in a 5 - 6 mile coarse maybe change them around like nascar and open wheel circuits do. run a few open ocean races in the mix of the season would be exciting.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think it would be good to have a race like this around an island like St Thomas. It could be viewed from land and recorded easily.

Then after the race, islands are great.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:15 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

What happened to the Miami NYC race that is/was planned?

Quick Reply: Open Ocean Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.