Notices

Open Ocean Racing

Old 12-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Re: Open Ocean Racing

Boat racing will never have a huge following, it's like airplane racing...nobody except airplane owners care and only a few of them are into it, therefore there are no $$ in it for the boat manufacturers. I can't see them participating in this sport much more than they already do.

Regarding one of the original points of this thread, Cigarette has NOTHING to gain, everything to lose by racing. They already are THE brand in offshore boats, this can't be improved on. Braver has come out with new models, many of them are stunning and the brand has been revitalized. Participating in a race and possilbly losing won't improve the brand any, winning won't do anything either because of their lofty status as a brand. Aren't they tapped out as far as production goes anyway?? Why mess with success??
Old 12-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
....if someone would create an ocean race again, Cigarette and a lot of other companies would jump right back in.
What evidence supports this statement? In order to race you must first be a racer.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Banned

Who cares if it's sanctioned by a governing body. Like it was said, just get a few hardcore boaters that want to do it for the glory, not the money. The last thing they need is someone to start writing rules for the race. Race whatever you think will win. Even if you don't win, a good showing in a smaller less powered boat would still be an accomplishment you could be proud of.

As far as spectator freindly, as has already been pointed out, even if you are at these so called "offshore" races, you can't see but a little bit of racing. I've watched them from the land, and from a boat, and they both suck. I prefer the land. Which do you think brings the NFL more advertising dollars? The 70 thousand or so in the stands, or the millions watching on TV?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

I seem to have touched a nerve out there.

First of all, I am not disparaging poker runs or the size of the waves at the current race sites....these can all be kept and enjoyed by those who like those kinds of things.

I am saying that there is a niche here, for a race to be held that will capture the imagination of the public and give the racers who choose to participate some great memories.

Someone pointed out about how much coverage the racing gets now in Powerboat, Hot boat, Extreme Boating and the other boating magazines....that is what I say is the problem....only the boating magazines cover the sport.

In 1979 over the first 5 races of the year, Betty cook and I were tied for first place in points in APBA Open class. Sports Illustrated did an article, the New York Times sports section covered it and another article was written about me buying the molds, to start my banana boat company, from Don Aronow and Cigarette in Esquire magazine.

These are mainstream magazines. That is why the average person on the street knew a lot more about offshore racing and the participants then.

This thread began about why the boat companies, Cigarette in particular, don't get involved in racing. I say because they do not get the type of exposure as I mentioned above anymore.

What is needed is a big event that involves real drama, like Paris Dakar.....even though it is only held once a year, the sponsors can use the victory or even the participation in it, to show how good thier products are.
People remember and respond to big events. I still have people ask me about the Cannonball Race that I raced across the country in 36 hours in 1979. They even made a movie about the race...Cannonball Run...and Gumball Rally.

Let the sponsor firgure out the demographics of the fan base and how they will address their customer segmentation.....let the promoters put on a good show.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Boat racing will never have a huge following, it's like airplane racing...nobody except airplane owners care and only a few of them are into it, therefore there are no $$ in it for the boat manufacturers. I can't see them participating in this sport much more than they already do.

Regarding one of the original points of this thread, Cigarette has NOTHING to gain, everything to lose by racing. They already are THE brand in offshore boats, this can't be improved on. Braver has come out with new models, many of them are stunning and the brand has been revitalized. Participating in a race and possilbly losing won't improve the brand any, winning won't do anything either because of their lofty status as a brand. Aren't they tapped out as far as production goes anyway?? Why mess with success??
this is true, BUT the people that do follow it are the ones that spend the money on the parts. As any manufacturer/dealer knows the money is in the service and parts, looka at the numerous threads on how to make their boat go faster. Even current Cig owners like myself arent as impresed with the path cig has taken, colors design and such. I'm looking into a different brand altogether. Cig has an iconic name, to be number 1 is one thing, #2 is always on your heels, it easy to lose that # 1spot.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the beginning of the demise of this sport was multiple sanctioning bodies. Look what a joke boxing is. How many heavyweight champions can there be at one time? The massive egos and pocketbooks of the racers makes it too easy to just pick-up and start your own game if you don't like the way things are done.

I mentioned to Stu Jones once about a race to Freeport, GB and back. He told me once you bill an event as a RACE, everything changes drastically.
Insurance, medical support crews, security at the race site...it just goes on and on. A Poker Run is EASY to do by comparison.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

TV is the key...I have been in the pits at Nascar races. The crews & the officials watch the race on TV. Most of the big tracks, you cant see anything {ever been to Indy?}......
You cant get the networks involved with all the infighting going on. They look at $..Period & they dont trust this sport.
I would LOVE to see it happen again. I would watch it, Buy DVDs etc.....I just dont think it will Happen
Old 12-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if they did put on a true run what ya bring offshore race. like ft laud to bimini or similar that i could run my mistress in, i would jump at the chance knowing i stand a chance in big water. the other boats would be heavy wave crushers not the light layup stuff, have a cat classs and a stepped and non stepped v class. no gps old school racing. even if it was only one or a few races a year it would be good tv viewing just like the apache challenge. how much cash would it take to put on an event like this? given the fact a lot of folks would surely donate time and money to put it together.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

Get it back to Man against the Sea...
Old 12-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since the beginning of racing of all types manufacturers have learned about reliability of what they build. Nascar has changed the way cars are built and has also helped build safer cars. I for one would want to know what boat would hold up in an endurance race through these conditions. Look at how many Apaches were sold and still loved for their abilities in offshore racing. This type of race would definately seperate quality from junk. It would allow us to see what engine builders big or small can build something that stays together or what hull manufacturers method is best.

The open courses would have some trade offs in safety though. While there would be less of a chance of collisions it would be harder to provide fast rescue or medical attention unless each boat had there own helicopter following.

Media would have great opportunities and could actually cover the race in multiple segments or even a pay per view. Think of the sponsorship that would be available other than hull manufacturers Livorsi, Gaffrig, Garmin, Lowrance, Mercury, Ford, Gm, and anything else associated. Just look at the sponsors on any of the outdoor channels or any motorsports. Sponsorship is based on the target audience and the audience is already interested in boats which is a luxury not a need.

If they can televise fishing and hunting this would be much more appealing.

Quick Reply: Open Ocean Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.