Notices

Boat Stereo System 101

Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Boat Stereo System 101

I've decided to completely redo the stereo system in our boat this winter. The only problem is that I don't know anything about choosing what I need.

This is what my boat currently has:

AM/FM cassette Blaupunkt head unit
Clarion 50eq graphic equalizer
a/d/s (analog and digital systems) PQ8 four channel power amplifier
4 Babb 514 marine speakers in the cabin
2 6 1/2" cheapo (west marine) speakers in the cockpit

Everything that I've listed here still works, although it is 18 years old. It has a short somewhere and messing with the rats nest of wires can make it cut in and out. I plan on replacing all of the wiring for the stereo. amp and speakers. The Babb speakers in the stabbin' cabin are wasted and I have already purchased 4 Babb 534 speakers that have to be used in their place due to a unique hole pattern.

So I'm asking for some help on what I should buy that will fit our needs. The four speakers in the cabin will never have the need to be "cranked up" and ..with dry exhaust ...we will not really be expecting to be able to hear the stereo while running. I'm NOT looking to have the loudest system on the water and I DO not want to have to add a new battery or anything like that. Basically, I'm thinking just a XM compatible head unit, an amp and 8 speakers (4 in the cabin and 4 in the cockpit). No cd player, 8-track or cassettes are needed. I'm not looking to spend thousands of $$$$ on this either.

One last thing before I open it up for suggestions..and keep in mind that I don't know what I'm doing...can I hook the 4 cabin speakers up to the head unit and the 4 cockpit speakers up to the amp (for extra volume out there)?????

OK, let's hear what you all think.

Thanks in advance,
Craig
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boat Stereo System 101

Bigyellowcat. That what he DO!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyson is the man.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

It was very simple when it came time to do my boat...I payed someone that knew how to... I hate wiring...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

yep just take out a check come back in the morning
Old 12-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, get an amp for the cockpit speakers. If you are not going to push subs, you probably won't need extra batteries or capacitors, although a second battery is always a good idea. Lot's of companies like JL, JBL and Rockford Fosgate (to name a few) have speakers for marine use. Co-axials are the simplest to setup. They can withstand the moisture and UV rays. A 4 channel amplifier should work best for your application. Don't pick out an amp yet, pick the speakers first. You will need to know a speaker's ohm and power rating before you buy the amp. We in the Pro Audio biz call this the "speaker load". Check out JBL, JL, RF, MTX, Sony and Kicker's websites and look at their marine speakers, see if there's anything you like or catches your eye. And stay away from the "Internet Flea Markets"!!! Most of the stuff is either stolen or counterfeit.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks unsane. What would you suggest for the cockpit speakers, head unit and amp?

Like I said in my previous post, the only thing that I have already purchased is the 4 Babb speakers which will be installed in the cabin. Here are their specs:

30 oz. magnet
80 watts rms continuous
300 watts peak
4 ohm impedance
91 db SPL@1W1m
Old 12-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, those things can use an amp as well but it's not necessary. Try Rockford or JBL or JL, and look at their websites. I'm about to crash for the night but tomorrow I'll look too and get back with you. Also think about subs too, I can do up a diagram for that too if you want.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:07 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
...The only problem is that I don't know anything about choosing what I need....
You should work for the Government then...
Old 12-04-2005, 10:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks, I appreciate it! Like I said, there really won't be a need for big volume in the cabin. I'll check those websites tomorrow to try and get ideas for the head unit.

Quick Reply: Boat Stereo System 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.