Notices

Stereo Problem

Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Problem

Hey,

We just bought a 25 Outlaw and the stereo unit was bad. The dealer replaced it but now it will temporarily shut off when the volume gets to a certain level, around 30, which isn't that loud. It will also temporarily shut off if you turn on another accessory like the blower. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? The stereo is pretty much the same as it came from the factory. The dealer is going to look into it, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stereo Problem

Check the speaker wiring. You should have a 4 channel amp on that (4 speaker outs) make sure all outputs are used and that no 2 speakers are "wired up" together, that would drop the ohm rating to a lower level causing the amp to attempt to double its output power(they don't always do) and when they reach a certain level and try to pass too much current, the protection circuits kick in and shut it off. However it "dimming" out on you when you throw an ACC switch could mean that it's not getting enough voltage or there's a short somewhere in the system as well. Start easy first. Look at the speaker wiring, make sure all outputs are used and that no 2 speakers are touching. Now visually inspect the Power supply wires as well. Look for cuts and crimps. Check all connections too. When you turn on an ACC, there's a quick tax on the electrical system. The head unit being a sensitive electronic machine that is, could shut off when the voltage goes below a certain level. Try a couple of these things and get back to me.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered

Sounds Like Low Voltage..hook Up A Battery Charger And Try Playing It...if This Works It Will Rule Out Any Short Problem... Often This Will Occur With Low Voltage Or Bad Ground
Old 12-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be a bad battery or charging system. Do you have a multimeter to check the voltage in the battery?

Do you have a seperate amp or is it internal?

May be that power and ground wires are not heavy enough guage to feed the amp.

The amp should be fed off a direct battery source with a relay from the head unit to trigger the power on.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Registered

the more volume...the more heat. they have safety protection that is heat/resistance sensitive....supplying a lower voltage requesting the same output will produce more heat.

start by putting a DVOM on the system and look at the voltage drop vs. the demand(s).
Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

You have a power problem. I would guess that you are trying to run the whole thing off of one battery or you have cheap power wires (or both).

Get two batteries (in parallel) and high-quality power wires from the battery to the amps.

If you are trying to run the speakers off of the head unit, don't. Buy a separate amp.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

As stated, ck battery charge. If the battery drops only some it will cut off the stereo while other items (lights etc) will still work.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You more then likely have a wiring issue. The thing that makes me think that is the part that you say you turn on an acces. and it shuts off. I never wire my stereo's with anything off the dash. I always go back to the battery. I have found that most boats are wired poorly so for me to tap into that just never made any sence. If you want to know if it is your battery there is a easy test. Test voltage at the head unit, turn on an access that makes it shut off and watch your meter. Then go to the battery and do the same thing. If the voltage is different then your wiring is the culprit if the same then more then likely it is your battery.

Jon
Old 12-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered

I have run into this a few times. In all cases, the stereo was not getting enough power. Could be the existing connections as noted in above but in all my cases I resolved by running a new power line direct to the battery with an inline fuse. I have also had to do this with cigarette lighters when trying to power on a DVD/TV. Not enough juice and the tv would have no sound or not operate at all.

If you have the right equipment you should be able to measure how much power you are currently getting to the unit to verify the problem (before running the new lead). BTW, I am no professional, that's just my experience.