Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating >

Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating

Notices
View Poll Results: What class would you enter, Over/under 35 Feet classes ignored for the moment?
V < 80
53.85%
V < 100
21.15%
V > 100
1.92%
Cat < 100
7.69%
Cat > 100
15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating

Old 12-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating

Let's require LifeLine type life preservers, EPIRB, VHF radio, Distress/Flare kit, First aid kit, Fresh drinking water, a Type IV throwable PFD and a full safety inspection of the fuel and steering systems.
There will be some attrition on the course, but we can stack the deck in our favor.
We can ask non-racers to be available as rescue and tow boats.

If we choose Ft. Lauderdale-to-the concrete ship off South Bimini, to West Palm and then back down to Port Everglades, turn around and go back to West Palm, then back to Port Everglades, we will have crossed the Gulfstream twice. If we do this in the summer, the chances are the seas will be relatively flat and the smaller boats will have a good chance. If we do it in the winter, it should be a real test of man and machine. In winter a North wind kicks up the Gulfstream and could postpone our race a few days.
These are just some idle thoughts open to discussion.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:26 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming back to the U.S. will be a hellfire of customs hassles. I envision one way OUT of the U.S. I think that may be enough stress on people's boats and knees also, even in the late spring/summer.

The larger course idea sounds interesting, but I don't like the idea of running along the U.S. coast and chopping up scuba divers and kayakers. Running from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale or Palm Beach always freaks me out with all the divers, buoys and kayakers out there these days.

One way across the stream is enough for now. If that works out, a round trip would be next, followed by a larger course as per your suggestion. In my life, KISS always works best.

Last edited by CBR; 12-06-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I understand. These were only suggestions and certainly open to discussion. We're still a long way from a finished product, but we need to stimulate ideas from as many interested parties as possible. I plan to help in any way I can.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If there's anything i can do please let me know as well. by the way this is jr not sr as sr is very but very busy. but if i (jr/23) may help in anyway to brng the 70's and 80's back please let me know. i live in the area yall want to do it in

jr mike
Old 12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Allright, here is the latest on this....good progress is being made, and I will update you folks in January where things stand. I see no reason why this won't work. Looks good so far, glad to see more and more expressing interest.

I appreciate the offers of help from all, which you may regret giving early next year. <gg> So far no need of it, but before and during the event you bet you will be called on.

Hey, even before I have seen the 2nd season Miami Vice DVD set, we WILL bring back the 1980s!

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by CBR; 12-06-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR
Hey, even before I have seen the 2nd season Miami Vice DVD set, we WILL bring back the 1980s!

Cheers,

Chris
That's what i want to hear once again any help i'm here anything for the 70's and 80's to be present and me one day race how it use to be.

jr Mike
Old 12-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=Edward R. Cozzi]Let's require LifeLine type life preservers, EPIRB, VHF radio, Distress/Flare kit, First aid kit, Fresh drinking water, a Type IV throwable PFD and a full safety inspection of the fuel and steering systems.
There will be some attrition on the course, but we can stack the deck in our favor.

Ed

Excellent way to go...may I suggest another item that we were required to carry back in the "old days".....A quick inflatable fourman life raft.

When you start crossing the Gulf Stream, even with a bunch of safety boats volunteering to help out, a boat can go down fast. The racers are much better off in a raft than in the water with life vests on.

We (banana boat co) are just getting ready to come out with our 24 footer again. Our plans were to do the 28SS next, BUT.... if this program of yours takes off, I will put the 28SS on hold and bring out our 35 footer set up just like the picture shows....with a new design race fairing rather than the old style windshield.

We still have the original race layup as used back then.
Attached Thumbnails Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating-offshore-history0003a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 12-06-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Hmmm, sounding now more like a cross-Atlantic excursion than a fun run...
Old 12-06-2005, 06:18 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Geez, please don't start changing boat production plans on the basis of something I expect to make happen, but can't guarantee!

It is interesting that you would revert back to an "old style" boat for this event. I also expect "old, heavy" boats will put many new designs to shame crossing real seas. There is nothing better than a big heavy weight to pound down the seas. Lighter may be faster, but you are going to shake and break alot more! I also believe step designs, while great in smooth water, will lose almost all their advantages, and perform worse than straight V hulls in heavy seas.

My guess is that the winning boat in heavy seas would be an old style straight V with new "modern" FI motors. Not a cat.
In light, maybe moderate seas, the cats would win.

Last edited by CBR; 12-06-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Registered
VIP Member

[QUOTE=Top Banana]
Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Let's require LifeLine type life preservers, EPIRB, VHF radio, Distress/Flare kit, First aid kit, Fresh drinking water, a Type IV throwable PFD and a full safety inspection of the fuel and steering systems.

Ed

Excellent way to go...may I suggest another item that we were required to carry back in the "old days".....A quick inflatable fourman life raft.

When you start crossing the Gulf Stream, even with a bunch of safety boats volunteering to help out, a boat can go down fast. The racers are much better off in a raft than in the water with life vests on.

We (banana boat co) are just getting ready to come out with our 24 footer again. Our plans were to do the 28SS next, BUT.... if this program of yours takes off, I will put the 28SS on hold and bring out our 35 footer set up just like the picture shows....with a new design race fairing rather than the old style windshield.

We still have the original race layup as used back then.
Are You Charley M.?

Quick Reply: Proposed Offshore Ralley - Only those serious about participating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.