Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
HELP PELASE- BALMAR (Spelling?) ALTERNATOR QUESTION... >

HELP PELASE- BALMAR (Spelling?) ALTERNATOR QUESTION...

Notices

HELP PELASE- BALMAR (Spelling?) ALTERNATOR QUESTION...

Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default HELP PELASE- BALMAR (Spelling?) ALTERNATOR QUESTION...

I have a "huge" stereo in my boat and therefore the installer upgraded the stock alternator to this "Balmar" (not sure how to spell it).

Here's my question... The alternators are toasted (the installer painted them and therefore NO WARRANTY!) and I'm getting new one's (that also fit the stock engine mounts on my 525 EFI's). Do you recommend going back w/ these same alt's or is there a newer/better one.

The stereo's being run via two alternate batteries, as not to run directly off of the two "stock" batteries running the engines). I believe the issue stemmed from running the perko's on "both." So, at this point in time, since the alternators ran for almost 2 yrs, it seems everything is set up properly, just shouldn't have been running "both" on the perko's.

Comments, please!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: HELP PELASE- BALMAR (Spelling?) ALTERNATOR QUESTION...

Do you have capacitors on your stereo system? If so, I would just stay with stock alternators. I did.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balmar's a good name(in my experience)in HO alternators....how your Perko switches are wired vs. isolating the two battery banks/alternators makes the switch setting of the utmost importance. Your alternators, in a certain switch setting, may be "seeing" a disharged battery or hi-amp-draw, and compensating by going to full charging capacity all the time; thus burning up the equipment. Sucks about the paint, though...few companies offer warranty on electronic components.
Hugh
Old 12-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the guys who make all the pimped out marinized 110 amp stuff for Teague, I have one and I need to get another since I have twins now.
R B Performance Products
(928) 669-6411
521 W 11th St
Parker, AZ 85344
right at 300 bones.
This guy is also a renowned drag/circle racer he has awesome stories.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do you have capacitors on your stereo system? If so, I would just stay with stock alternators. I did.

I should caveat... I have had no issues with 4 Optimas pushing a 25fd capacitor in front of 3 amplifiers pushing 2000 watts total.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply - Yep. Capacitors on each of the 7 JL Audio amps. I'm running 8 pairs of 6 1/2's and 3 pairs of 1600 watt Explode 12's and have two "Golf Cart" deep cycle 6 volt (bridged to 12 volt) batteries for the stereo (along w/ the two engine batteries (series 27, I believe???? The largest ones).

Any comments re: the new fiberglass batteries? I was just made aware and have started snooping into them.

That's funny you said that. Joe (Audacity) just said the same thing re: the alternators... I'll run it by the guy that installed the stereo (Jacque aka "Lightning Jack"). I'm thinking these will have to last longer than the stock ones. How many watts are you running (total load?) and what is the amps on the stock alternator? Do you know (I don't). This one (Balmar Series 7 is 110). www.balmar.com
Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
Balmar's a good name(in my experience)in HO alternators....how your Perko switches are wired vs. isolating the two battery banks/alternators makes the switch setting of the utmost importance. Your alternators, in a certain switch setting, may be "seeing" a disharged battery or hi-amp-draw, and compensating by going to full charging capacity all the time; thus burning up the equipment. Sucks about the paint, though...few companies offer warranty on electronic components.
Hugh
Yep... The installer "told" me to run them on Both. I have just started questioning it. I'll post on it tomorrow after we speak. Thanks for the input (I am by no means an electrical genius and appreciate the feedback).

Joe
Old 12-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
These are the guys who make all the pimped out marinized 110 amp stuff for Teague, I have one and I need to get another since I have twins now.
R B Performance Products
(928) 669-6411
521 W 11th St
Parker, AZ 85344
right at 300 bones.
This guy is also a renowned drag/circle racer he has awesome stories.

Thanks. Just called. Got vm and left message. He offered, on his vm, a mobile number as well (951-970-4685). Got vm there as well. I'll keep you posted when I get feedback.

Joe
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

I should caveat... I have had no issues with 4 Optimas pushing a 25fd capacitor in front of 3 amplifiers pushing 2000 watts total.
Ok.. What the heck is "caveat." I know there's a distinct possibility that I'll get ripped for asking (and that it's something I should know), but what the heck... Fire away!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

warn or caution...i know it's used in law as well....but i'm not a smart man

Quick Reply: HELP PELASE- BALMAR (Spelling?) ALTERNATOR QUESTION...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.