Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Catalytic Coverters by 2008...Bummer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118466-catalytic-coverters-2008-bummer.html)

Back4More 12-14-2005 11:52 PM

Catalytic Converters by 2008...Bummer

Was reading about the EPA and CARB pushing the 5-gm HC=NCx Standard to be in place by 2008.
This means Catalytic Converters for marine inboard and stern-drive engines...but at the next meeting considerations are being made to exempt engines over 500hp. I'm sure the CARB Board of directors will include all marine engines regaurdless the amount of power.
Better buy that big power boat before 08. :(

Semper Fi 12-14-2005 11:56 PM

Re: Catalytic Coverters by 2008...Bummer

:eek: :( :mad:

Sean H 12-15-2005 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Back4More
Was reading about the EPA and CARB pushing the 5-gm HC=NCx Standard to be in place by 2008.
This means Catalytic Coveters for marine inboard and stern-drive engines...but at the next meeting considerations are being made to exempt engines over 500hp. I'm sure the CARB Board of directors will include all marine engines regaurdless the amount of power.
Better buy that big power boat before 08. :(

wait till they figure out how to put a fuel rating on boats.... :eek: :drink:

aquaforce 12-15-2005 12:03 AM

Entirely to much enviornmentalist agenda :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back4More 12-15-2005 12:05 AM

Gasoline powered lawn equipment is next.... :rolleyes:

aquaforce 12-15-2005 12:24 AM

A red hot cat conv in a glass boat with carpet and ropes...a recipe for a fiery disaster :eek: :eek: :evilb:

Iggy 12-15-2005 04:54 AM

A red hot cat conv in a glass boat with carpet and ropes...a recipe for a fiery disaster
You bet.
Doesn't the Coast Guard Regs say that the exhaust system can't go over 200* in temp? A catalytic converter can't be water cooled because it needs the high heat to light off.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-15-2005 06:59 AM

They may try to get the emissions down, but it won't be a catalytic converter as we know it now. Like Iggy said: It needs the heat for the chemical to "convert" the emissions. Totally not practical in a closed bilge.

dockrocker 12-15-2005 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
They may try to get the emissions down, but it won't be a catalytic converter as we know it now. Like Iggy said: It needs the heat for the chemical to "convert" the emissions. Totally not practical in a closed bilge.

Since when did "practical" carry any weight with CARB? These are the same geniuses that mandated the automakers sell X% of electric cars in California, even though there was zero demand.

Yet another reason I am SO glad we didn't relocate out to the land of fruits and nuts; 6 months in that place and I'd be shooting someone....

Airpacker 12-15-2005 07:46 AM

A typical oxidizing catalytic convertor needs to reach 600 degrees F to start functioning. Its basically a chemical furnace. The fact that most marine engines run at 12 to 1 a/f ratio will also be a huge problem to overcome with a cat. Cats like 14.7 to 15.2 to 1 to function properly. At 12 to 1, the life expectancy of the cat would be somewhere between short and none.