Notices

My New SL 44 ( 44 ft )

Old 12-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Re: My New SL 44 ( 44 ft )

Originally Posted by animalhouse
You should be able to price it really cheap since somebody else did all the R&D on it. Style by fountain and the efficient and proven bottom of a 42 Outerlimits.

I would be proud of copying 1000's of hours of other peoples hard work!

Keep up the good work, maybe next year you can tool up a 47, I hear that Outerlimits has a good bottom....

RIGHT ON........Now as far as copying other people's work...I seem a bit confused....are we talking about the patent that was taken out for stepped bottoms by Fauber in 1909....or are we more concerned with the actual Deep V bottom desinged by Ray Hunt in the mid fifties???

Yes, I'm sure there are thousands of hours of work done by other boat builders over the years...even the famous beak was used by Bill Cooper on the West Coast to make minimum length on an ocean racer...and didn't Bob Nordskog put one on his Endurance boat Viking Spirit when he won the 9 hour Miami marathon??

But I guess the builders you mention never drew any inspiration from those pioneers.....they did!!! just as this man draws from Merrick Lewis who in the 60's built not only aluminum offshore boats but a Turbine powered one, that blew the competition away so bad it was banned from racing again.

Rockit....go to it buddy....your on the right track to making this performance boating we all love just a little better.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZOMMNFUN said it best.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I think its a great project, somebody trying to do something different, give us another alternative vs glass, can be custom made in any deck configuration as well as bottom configuration. The steps can be moved to be tailored to what you want Surface drives or Stern. Just like everything, trial and error, no different when I try and use different materials for my custom homes. I wish you the best of luck, keep that drive and excellent demeanor, It sounds like you have done the majority of R&D. Jeff
Old 12-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are a trip.....Downright shameful, some of you.

This guy comes on here to showcase a new, and unique project he's working on along with some very talented craftsmen behind the scenes, and he gets bashed. How many times does he have to say he didn't splash anything - few styling cues maybe, no more, no less.

Don't even try to tell us that the folks at outerlimits and/or fountain were born in a box and invented everything they have without anyone else's influences.

The boat looks great, Rockit. Keep us posted.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry too much about electrolysis. There are some exceptional processes and treatments - mil spec chem films and anodic coatings and etching primers which do a hell of a job protecting aluminum, even in the harshest corrosive environments - which by the way are decades old. If you're really that worried about it, you should never get on another plane. Aluminum boats have been around for quite some time with great success both privare and military. (Try not to think of your Merc outdrive - that's an example of how not to do it).

Also, welded aluminum - when properly performed - can be just as strong and flexible as virgin stock, bearing equal, or near equal, flexural, shear, impact, fracture toughness and fatigue properties: particularly aluminums like 2219, and most non-annealed 5000 and 6000 series aluminums.

Last edited by CigDaze; 12-19-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Top Banana
RIGHT ON........Now as far as copying other people's work...I seem a bit confused....are we talking about the patent that was taken out for stepped bottoms by Fauber in 1909....or are we more concerned with the actual Deep V bottom desinged by Ray Hunt in the mid fifties???

Yes, I'm sure there are thousands of hours of work done by other boat builders over the years...even the famous beak was used by Bill Cooper on the West Coast to make minimum length on an ocean racer...and didn't Bob Nordskog put one on his Endurance boat Viking Spirit when he won the 9 hour Miami marathon??

But I guess the builders you mention never drew any inspiration from those pioneers.....they did!!! just as this man draws from Merrick Lewis who in the 60's built not only aluminum offshore boats but a Turbine powered one, that blew the competition away so bad it was banned from racing again.

Rockit....go to it buddy....your on the right track to making this performance boating we all love just a little better.

Long forgotten by most - Sometimes it sounds as if most people believe that Their favorite boat brand[insert here] invented the boat, itself.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

55' Hy-Lite all aluminum construction

This boat has been back an forth to salt water and fresh water and seems to have held up well

was new in 2001 i think

twin diesel's top speed of 77 MPH
Attached Thumbnails My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-hy-lite-1.jpg   My New  SL 44  ( 44 ft )-hy-lite-2.jpg  
Old 12-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Registered

Rockit.... sweet looking boat! Even though this is a "cheaper" alternative to a 42PR or an OL, it is still going to be some BIG bucks.... nice to see someone with the stones to build something different..... really cool project!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Registered

Heres an idea, when you get the boat tuned in as good as possible splash yourselves and offer it in a traditional glass layup also. BTW Rock It, you know me as Kachina Ken from HB.

Last edited by Anarchy Powerboats; 12-19-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bada$$ project.... im jelous! please keep us updated.... i cant wait to see the finished product, and some perspective pricing?????? my concern would be dents, but id be willing to bet they have that base covered! post interrior pics as soon as you get a chance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.