Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Play in Stern Drive, '74 Reinell (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118664-play-stern-drive-74-reinell.html)

ewbish 12-18-2005 10:23 AM

Play in Stern Drive, '74 Reinell

I'm looking at a '74 Reinell 18 foot Deep V. Overall, the boat is in great condition. The exterior and interior have been well maintained and it looks solid. I noticed where the stern mates up to the hull, there is about a 1/4 inch gap. When I lift up and down on the stern drive, I can see the gap get smaller or wider. Is this a problem? I haven't had an I/O in 20 years and don't remember this on my last one. As yet, I don't know what the motor/drive is in the boat, as I have not been in contact with the owner.

LostinBoston 12-18-2005 02:23 PM

Re: Play in Stern Drive, '74 Reinell

Originally Posted by ewbish
I'm looking at a '74 Reinell 18 foot Deep V. Overall, the boat is in great condition. The exterior and interior have been well maintained and it looks solid. I noticed where the stern mates up to the hull, there is about a 1/4 inch gap. When I lift up and down on the stern drive, I can see the gap get smaller or wider. Is this a problem? I haven't had an I/O in 20 years and don't remember this on my last one. As yet, I don't know what the motor/drive is in the boat, as I have not been in contact with the owner.

i short, yes its a problem, there should not be a gap between the drive housing and the hull. I woudlnt run a boat like that.

GOODT 12-18-2005 03:27 PM

RUN DONT WALK RUN!!!!!!!......

If I remember right the rinells had omc stringer drives also

happy hours 12-18-2005 05:00 PM

At first I didn't see it was a boat you were thinking about buying instead of one you already own......don't own it....about 1000 times more money and work to fix it.

ewbish 12-19-2005 06:46 AM

Thanks guys. I have a bizarre affinity for the early to mid 70's deep V I/O runabouts. If you could have your choice of any model from 18 to 21 feet, what would be your top brands? I have all the time in the world so am not in any hurry to jump on the first one I come across, I'm looking for the "right" one.

Eric

flash32118 12-19-2005 07:42 AM

when the transom wood rots...there is no support for the drive...thus you have a gap

jhiguy377 12-19-2005 10:00 AM

formula 202

Edward R. Cozzi 12-19-2005 08:04 PM

You would do well to stay away from Reinell, Renken and Bayliner from that vintage.

Be sure to make the sale subject to a sea trial and survey. Transom MUST be checked with a non-intrusive moisture meter.

Happy hunting!

ewbish 12-24-2005 09:16 AM

Thanks for the replies, I've passed on the Reinell. I'm looking at a 1 owner 1970 20' Larson right now, great looking boat. Any particular drives to stay away from in the 69 to 74 vintage? I'm discovering that finding a vintage boat I like is way harder than just buying new. I'm bound and determined to find a classic though.