Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Corporate Attorney Needed. Marina listed for rent. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/118683-corporate-attorney-needed-marina-listed-rent.html)

RollWithIt 12-18-2005 04:30 PM

Corporate Attorney Needed. Marina listed for rent.

Ok.. Found a listing on the internet that has my families marina listed as a business for rent or lease. This listing is made by the real estate complany that we actually lease the property off of. I know that they can lease the property to someone else if we dont have a current lease. But how can you legally list the business for lease when you dont own it?? If anybody knows of any good business attorneys in Pa or who can handle this kind of case. Please contact me ASAP. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q...rina&FORM=QBHP

Phknlwyr 12-18-2005 07:59 PM

Re: Corporate Attorney Needed. Marina listed for rent.

Jason:

I don't quite understand your family's position with the marina. Do they own it? Do they lease it from someone and merely operate the business (the marina)? If it is the latter, the owner can seek out offers on the marina at its/his/her/their whim. That doesn't mean they can displace your family absent a provision in the lease that allows them to recover possession of the marina. Perhaps they want to see if there is interest in their property. If there is and your family's lease is not a long term obligation, they are merely hedging their position.

If, on the other hand, your family owns the marina and the company running the add does not have your authority to list it for rent/sale, then a quick letter to them demanding that the cease and desist would be appropriate. If that does not work, contact the Pennsylvania authority that oversees and/or licences real estate brokers. Either way, you should get their attention.

ChrisK 12-18-2005 08:56 PM

From my understanding his family has owned the marina since '65.. they leased the land it sits on. I know his grandmother(who started the marina) recenty passed, and it looks as though the company that owns the land is putting her marina up for lease even though Jason and his mother have run it for some time.

RollWithIt 12-19-2005 07:59 PM

Kevin. My family owns the business. My Grandmother bought the marina in 1965 and ran it up till 2000. At that point my Mother was put on as a legal owner of the business. Since then, my mother and myself have run the business. We have always leased the landspace that we use for the onshore facilities. We have the Corp of Engineer rights to use of the waterspace. I understand that the real estate management company can choose to find another leasee for the land if they would not want to renew any current leases with our business. That would be one issue. But I want to know how can they actually list the business itself for Rent/Lease when they do not own it. All they own is the land that we lease. The only thing that I can think of at this time is that they think the docks are part of their legal property right simply because they are attached to the land via a walkway. Therefore, since physically attached to the land, the docks become their property or go to whom ever leases the property. This is where legal advice is needed. Thanks for your help and thoughts on it. I think this might get ugly.

BK 12-19-2005 10:38 PM

I saw the ad that says "Marina View". Is that the one you mean?

Are you sure they are listing the marina? Looks like they just want to lease the warehouse to me, and are just mentioning that it has a marina view.

Hopefully, that's all it is & have anything fret.

I noticed it was also on www.pittsburgh-warehouses.com.

LostinBoston 12-19-2005 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by BK
I saw the ad that says "Marina View". Is that the one you mean?

Are you sure they are listing the marina? Looks like they just want to lease the warehouse to me, and are just mentioning that it has a marina view.

Hopefully, that's all it is & have anything fret.

I noticed it was also on www.pittsburgh-warehouses.com.

Yeha the ad is confusing at first, but it doestn appear to actually be listing yoru marina, just that the building has a marina view. check out the site plan
http://www.pittsburgh-warehouses.com...e/site_map.htm

doesnt show that marina there.

bryanspeedracer 12-20-2005 11:38 AM

Good luck Jason.

RollWithIt 12-20-2005 04:50 PM

The same company has both listings. The one is focusing on the warehouse that is on the same property. Thats been for lease for a while. But, the issue I have is when you do a Marina search in conjunction to Pittsburgh, as was done on the MSN Search that I have the result page listed, you see a link for a "Marina for Rent on the Ohio River in Pittsburgh, Pa". I copied and pasted the listing as it is on the MSN page. When you read it, it clearly lists the marina as being for rent.

Marina for Rent on the Ohio River in Pittsburgh, PA
Marina for rent or lease close to Downtown Pittsburgh on the Ohio River. Long term deals, free parking, friendly management » Home » Contact Us » Warehouses » Office Space » About Us Featured Property: ...

http://www.pittsburgh-warehouses.com...ave/marina.htm Cached page

BK 12-20-2005 08:31 PM

I see what you mean. "Marina for Rent" is not visible, but if you look at the "view source" (right click on the page) you'll find this in the hidden coded "Document Title" - this might have been put in by the webmaster in error, though. Need to call them to find out for sure. :eek:

DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/template.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" --
head
!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" --
title>Marina for Rent on the Ohio River in Pittsburgh, PA/title
meta name="description" content="Marina for rent or lease close to Downtown Pittsburgh on the Ohio River. Long term deals, free parking, friendly management"
meta name="keywords" content="Pittsburgh, warehouses, lease, rent, warehouse space, offices, office space, parking lots, industrial real estate, south side, north side, uptown, free parking"
!-- InstanceEndEditable --
meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
link href="../css.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --