View Poll Results: O.L vs. Fountain
39 O.L 525's
57
56.44%
42 Fountain 1050's
44
43.56%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Reply
Old 12-25-2005, 04:54 PM
  #41
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V
Posts: 2,806
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

I don't know if they still do it but Skater laid up some of Fountains race boats in the past.
LapseofReason is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:34 PM
  #42
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Albany NY
My Boats: 54' Searay, 31' Rinker, 12' AB Inflatible CC
Posts: 5,180
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Rick, Are you stirring the pot again ???? The Fountains are a real nice boat. Im not sure why they always pick on you guys.
otis311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:34 PM
  #43
Registered
VIP Member
 
nolimits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Babylon, Long Island
My Boats: 03, Fountain 38 Lightning
Posts: 804
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

If you make 20 boats a year, for the ocassional "race boat" you might make, you can use the same mold. If you make 300 boats a year and have several molds, you might have the race boat molds labeled and held to the side. It keeps the consistancy up. Watch everyone make poop out of that....
nolimits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:21 PM
  #44
Registered
 
SCRAPMAN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OSPREY FL
My Boats: 2001 HUSTLER 50
Posts: 433
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapseofReason
He dosn't sell a 40 foot pleasure boat that I know of.
I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING- YOU DONT SUPPOSE THAT FOUNTAINS 40 FOOT RACE VEE IS LAID UP IN A PRODUCTION 42 FOOT MOLD AND THEY JUST DONT ADD THE 2 FEET OF SWIM PLATFORM DO YOU? IM KIND OF NEW AT THIS BUT THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT.
SCRAPMAN1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:51 AM
  #45
Registered
 
later's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chesterfield Mo/Loto
My Boats: 98 42 fountain twin 500's
Posts: 1,355
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

What always amazes me is everyone knows that Fountain is a production boat builder, buiding a good quality boat at a fair price, but yet they are never compared to boats in their arena Baja,Formula etc. When ever there is a comparision it is always with Cigarette,Outerlimits, etc the high end custom builders, why is that ? Ive owned several Fountains over the years and I believe there a good bang for the buck, i have listened and read many commits about Fountains and the others, i have been in and driven many of the brands that are compared to a fountain, and none of them were hands down without a question of doubt the better performing boat all the way around. some performed better at idle speed and some better at top end and some better in mid range. Would i like to have a Outer Limits hell yes, would i like to have a Nor-tech hell yes am i happy with my boat hell yes, especially since everyone compares it to the high end custom builders so Fountain must be doing something right. Thank goodness there are many choices out there are how boring would that be.

Later
Dave Hughes
later is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 AM
  #46
Registered
VIP Member
 
nolimits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Babylon, Long Island
My Boats: 03, Fountain 38 Lightning
Posts: 804
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Quote:
Originally Posted by later
What always amazes me is everyone knows that Fountain is a production boat builder, buiding a good quality boat at a fair price, but yet they are never compared to boats in their arena Baja,Formula etc. When ever there is a comparision it is always with Cigarette,Outerlimits, etc the high end custom builders, why is that ? Ive owned several Fountains over the years and I believe there a good bang for the buck, i have listened and read many commits about Fountains and the others, i have been in and driven many of the brands that are compared to a fountain, and none of them were hands down without a question of doubt the better performing boat all the way around. some performed better at idle speed and some better at top end and some better in mid range. Would i like to have a Outer Limits hell yes, would i like to have a Nor-tech hell yes am i happy with my boat hell yes, especially since everyone compares it to the high end custom builders so Fountain must be doing something right. Thank goodness there are many choices out there are how boring would that be.

Later
Dave Hughes
Your making way too much sense. Good points...
nolimits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:58 AM
  #47
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V
Posts: 2,806
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Later you are totally right, so why is it the Fountain guys say the Fountain is a better boat, is it just because it has the speed record ?

That is the one thing I never get about the OL vs. Fountain thing they are not in the same class. When you look at the mass produced boats Fountain is leaps and bounds above the rest in performance , but middle of the pack in all other aspects like fit and finish.
LapseofReason is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:08 PM
  #48
Registered
 
later's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chesterfield Mo/Loto
My Boats: 98 42 fountain twin 500's
Posts: 1,355
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Later you are totally right, so why is it the Fountain guys say the Fountain is a better boat, is it just because it has the speed record ?

That is the one thing I never get about the OL vs. Fountain thing they are not in the same class. When you look at the mass produced boats Fountain is leaps and bounds above the rest in performance , but middle of the pack in all other aspects like fit and finish.
cant speak for the others but i dont ever say fountain is a better boat, and from what ive read the majority of the fountain owners on this board don't toot that song either, there are a few that talk faster and fastest and there probably could be a case made for that, i cant remember when the last time a fountain owner started a lets compare Fountain production boats to the custom builder thread, although if you most compare two different boats a production vs a custom built boat then Fountain does a excellent job competing with the custom builders and competing for the boat buyers $$$$'s. As for as rigging and fit and finish Fountain may not be the best or worst but certainly is acceptable. i can speak from experience i owned a 42 fountain since 94 and never once have i had an issue with rigging failing and leaving me lemping home or being towed. could it be neater yes could it be more functional no ! But then i didnt expect it to be show quality but i did expect it to function without problems and it has. For the money there a good value hard to argue that fact. Fountains are a drivers boat they respond to trim and tab they have a spontanenious steering response and for the must part give a above average ride in the rough stuff for there size. ive seen many a larger boat try to keep up with Fountains 33/35 in rough water only to be surprised by its performance, and ive seen many a 42 surprise the others as to just how much rough water they can take, at the end of the day sitting at the dock if you can have a smile on your face and can say i had a good day boating, then there all good boats.

later
Dave Hughes

Last edited by later; 12-26-2005 at 04:15 PM.
later is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:15 PM
  #49
A to Z
Platinum Member
 
Sean H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: KC/LOTO
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Quote:
Originally Posted by later
i cant remember when the last time a fountain owner started a lets compare Fountain production boats to the custom builder thread,
this thread was started by a fountain guy...
Sean H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:23 PM
  #50
Registered
 
later's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chesterfield Mo/Loto
My Boats: 98 42 fountain twin 500's
Posts: 1,355
Default Re: 42 Fountain 1050's Vs. 39 O.L. 525's

Your right !

Later
Dave Hughes
later is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
302Sport
General Boating Discussion
15
09-23-2008 10:55 AM
On Time
Prop Talk
9
09-23-2007 11:21 AM
grads2112
General Q & A
7
03-14-2007 08:26 AM
convincor253
Fountain
7
11-21-2006 02:03 AM
offshorebankin
General Boating Discussion
5
12-30-2005 02:04 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.