Notices

Pocket PC

Old 12-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pocket PC

I've been looking at some of the Pocket PC with GPS. If anyone purchased one these I was wondering if they showed buoy markings?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Pocket PC-pt-iquem5-lg.jpg  
Old 12-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: Pocket PC

Anyone?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Registered

Rick,
In my experience all of the hand held GPS units show channel markers and if you get a color one even better yet. They are not too bad on price any more either. Check amazon,overstock or ebay.
And Happy Holidays
Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Registered

I have an ique 3600. You have to pay extra for the charts to load on them, if they're primarily made for land use. My dad had the software to load the charts on his GPS, so they gave me another unlock code to load his maps on my unit. Otherwise it would have cost another $150 PER REGION. That means $150 for lake erie, $150 for lake st. clair, $150 to go boating in FL, etc. **** Garmin for charging that kind of money for data developed with my tax dollars.

The unit works okay for water, but as soon as they came out with a new one they stopped providing accessories. So i can't get a mount to attach to my boat anymore. And the unit will not give me a heading in degrees, only "N" or "S", etc. However, the large color screen allows me to see where i'm going, what's ahead of me, etc. And it has depth readings. I was using my GPS as a depthsounder most of the summer (since my depthsounder crapped out).
Old 01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by velocitypwrbtr
I've been looking at some of the Pocket PC with GPS. If anyone purchased one these I was wondering if they showed buoy markings?

Thanks in advance!
http://www.maptech.com/products/pock...ator/index.cfm

Yes they show markers -

Check out Maptech, I have a Navman sleeve with a pretty robust HP Ipaq 5500.The maps you download are big so have a lot of memory. They are great for cruising around but if running at speed the screens are far too small and its impossible to keep it stationary. The suction cup mount for the windshield will snap in half (mine did in the rough) you need to get the water proof bag - they are definitely not water friendly -

Sooo it all depends on the majority of your use. good luck
Attached Thumbnails Pocket PC-pocketnavigatoroverview.jpg  
Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also use the remote Garmin 10 sensor with any bluetooth Pocket PC. Sensor package comes with roadmaps disc, then you add Bluechart water regions seperately. You can also print paper copies of your favorite areas using your regular PC. The only drawback I have noticed is that the Pocket PC display can be hard to see when the sun is at certain angles...