Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lakes and marinas in Little Rock, AR or surrounding area? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119221-lakes-marinas-little-rock-ar-surrounding-area.html)

1stfntn 12-28-2005 12:36 AM

Lakes and marinas in Little Rock, AR or surrounding area?

Am going to be working in Little Rock next summer and am considering moving my 38' Fountain near there if there is a nice lake that has a good marina with appropriate facilities for weekending on the boat/in the slip.

Needs to be in a slip as I have a trailer but currently no tow vehicle. I already have a hydrohoist I can install. Don't mind driving a little each way as my current slip is about 1.25 hours from my house.

So, any lake/marina recommendations in the Little Rock area?

jryan26 12-28-2005 07:56 AM

Re: Lakes and marinas in Little Rock, AR or surrounding area?

I think you would be better putting it at lake hamilton in hot springs. About a hour and 15 minute drive.

Cord 12-28-2005 12:16 PM

I was on Lake Hamilton once and that is a very nice lake. A bit small for a 38' Fountain though. Warm water. I believe that is the lake where a duck sank and some 14 people drowned.

1stfntn 12-31-2005 12:20 PM

Cord/Jryan - thanks for the replies.

Any thoughts on Ouachita? Looks good online.

Spine Tingler 12-31-2005 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1stfntn
Am going to be working in Little Rock next summer and am considering moving my 38' Fountain near there if there is a nice lake that has a good marina with appropriate facilities for weekending on the boat/in the slip.

Needs to be in a slip as I have a trailer but currently no tow vehicle. I already have a hydrohoist I can install. Don't mind driving a little each way as my current slip is about 1.25 hours from my house.

So, any lake/marina recommendations in the Little Rock area?

How could you leave D-Dock? It's the seond best dock in the country!

1stfntn 01-01-2006 02:23 PM

Not sure I want to make that type of drive every weekend, but I agree with you. I'll miss GLOC.

Dock Holiday 01-01-2006 05:31 PM

I was born and raised in Hot Springs and have spent many hours on Lake Hamilton, Lake Catherine, Lake DeGray and Lake Ouachita (pronounced "Wash-Sha-Taw" after the Indians).

There is a Fountain / Baja dealer on Hamilton now on Hwy 7 South just over the causeway on the left. There is also a ramp there as well.

Hamilton is a very nice lake and has a lot of resturants and bars to enjoy. It is also a pretty deep lake.

I would not want a larger boat then yours, however there is a 50 foot Nor-Tech on the lake now!

My dad has owned two house boats and kept them up at Lake Quachita. It is a Corp lake and there are NO Houses, only five marinas. He was at Mountain Harbor. Crystal Springs and Brady Mountain are also nice places to launch on Quachita. There is nothing to do up there except watch the trees and the eagles and bears. It is nice if you just want piece & quite.

We may be bringing the 36 up this summer when we come to visit friends, I'll keep you posted if we do and maybe we can hookup.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Mark Terry

SeaRay Jim 01-01-2006 06:52 PM

I'll second Ouachita! We've been there 2-3 times and it's beautiful!

Another lake I tried this summer for the first time and I'm surprised no one else has brought it up is Greers Ferry. Really awsome lake. We were at Laceys at "the narrows". The narrows a place between the 2 main parts of the lake that is like the gorge (narrow channel, which isn't that narrow) between two mountians, but in water. LOL :D

Lacey's Marina had just added a lot of new docks and I think since July they added some more. Really nice slips. The ramps are accorss the HWY in a park however.

Thee are I think 8 Marina's. We hit all of them in a poker run and while some were less desirable than others, they were for the most part pretty nice. Lacey's of course being the newest facility and the nicest, as well as central to both ends of the lake. Deep, rocky and clear!

In think it's about 1 to 1 1/2 hours north of LR, and I'm 99% sure it's closer that the others to the west (Hamilton, DeGrey, Ouachita). I know several people that live in the LR area that call Greers their home lake over the others.