Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Crash Boxes vs Trannies (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119300-crash-boxes-vs-trannies.html)

Stormrider 12-29-2005 09:25 AM

Crash Boxes vs Trannies

What are the benefits of one vs the other?
How hard would it be to swap out CBs for transmission?

Edward R. Cozzi 12-29-2005 09:59 AM

Re: Crash Boxes vs Trannies

Almost no horsepower loss in the crash boxes and almost bullet-proof.
A little tricky in close quarters if engines do not re-start easily.

Difficulty changing over depends on set-up.

Talk to Marc at BAM. He's probably done more conversions than anybody.

thedonz 12-29-2005 10:10 AM

storm,

if you have BIG power, CB is the way to go....I got tired of burning clutch plates and breaking shafts in the 12 plate trannies I had. In my staggered Cig the swap was easy, I only needed a longer drive shaft in the front motor, on side by sides, you probably will be able to swap without much mods.......

takes a little getting used to at first in close quarters around the docks.......you need to think about where you want the boat to end up and go in slow....I leave one engine in forward and one in reverse and settle the boat in slowly....not as bad as I thought it would be......then its worry free throttling!

Stormrider 12-29-2005 10:22 AM

Donz, so your 38 has crashboxes or transmissions?

thedonz 12-29-2005 10:36 AM

crash boxes, I replaced the trannies because I have big power and they wouldn't hold up when throttling hard....

ChiToWn TapouT 12-29-2005 11:00 AM

What about the "Shiftable" from SCS?

HotPursuit 12-29-2005 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChiToWn TapouT

Best of both worlds. I have 2 Daytona CB for sale in the oso
classifieds.

Jassman 12-29-2005 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=blastersbro]talk to john pompi of performance marine he has done 2 different boats with shiftable scs crash boxes.about $10000 a peice for shiftable,5000 for standard zero drag boxes.$500 adapter for plug in style tailstock.when scs box is in gear the only drag is from two bearings and two seals.[/QUOTE

I understand he is one of the best of the best....

JCPERF 12-29-2005 06:20 PM

[QUOTE=Jassman]

Originally Posted by blastersbro
talk to john pompi of performance marine he has done 2 different boats with shiftable scs crash boxes.about $10000 a peice for shiftable,5000 for standard zero drag boxes.$500 adapter for plug in style tailstock.when scs box is in gear the only drag is from two bearings and two seals.[/QUOTE

I understand he is one of the best of the best....

Yes he is :D

FREEDOM US1 12-29-2005 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChiToWn TapouT

They work great! I used to smoked trannys all the time. The Shiftables help save the starter and help during docking in tight spots versus crash boxes. If the Shiftables don't shift right for some reason you can flip a switch and operate them like normal crash boxes. It feels good to run your boat as hard as you want and you won't break a tranny. :D I had mine installed at TNT and they did a great job.